Concentration camps

124

Replies

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    @Steven said:
    Exhibit A) Kamala Harris agreed that we should not deport anybody who made it over the border and none of the other candidates challenged her.

    Exhibit B) I think all but one Democrat on Thursday agreed that illegal immigration should not be considered a crime.

    Exhibit C) Most of the candidates on Thursday agreed that their health plans would cover undocumented immigrants.

    If it walks like a duck...

    A I don't think that is exactly what she said. B. Are we going to incarcerate them? C. Should we let them die?

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    Republicans want open borders. They just want to make sure they can pay them poverty wages and avoid paying workman's comp.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,608 Senior Member

    As for Kamala Harris, she was asked by the reporter from Telemundo. whether undocumented aliens should be deported. She answered, "absolutely not."

    You increase legal immigration. Illegal immigrants if caught get deported.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    Was it undocumented aliens or these asylum seekers?

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,231 Senior Member
    edited July 3 #96

    Back to the original post, there's a vast difference between mules dropping people off at ports of entry to take advantage of asylum laws, and a camp where you are frog-marched into a gas chamber. It has to be clear now that the statutory law, combined with the Flores decision, have created an untenable situation at the border.

    I guess I question how many of these folks are genuinely seeking asylum. Fleeing economic hardship doesn't count.

    Good rundown here:

    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/andrew-sullivan-democrats-are-in-a-bubble-on-immigration.html

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    Does not justify what is happening to them.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,231 Senior Member

    Of course it doesn't.

    Congress has earmarked 4.6 Billion to alleviate some of the conditions. That's a good start.

  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,608 Senior Member

    @fishingcomic said:
    Was it undocumented aliens or these asylum seekers?

    The question was:

    If someone is here without documents and that is their only offense, is that person to be deported?

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    I think that we should have a law that takes into account how long has someone been here and have they been a law abiding tax paying person before making that decision. Deporting every undocumented person is unrealistic. This is not a case for open borders.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,231 Senior Member

    As near as I can tell, Trump has said two things that are true:

    1. Farmers need better internet access (he was widely mocked for this, but he was right)

    2. If you don't have borders, you don't have a country.

    We have every right to enforce our political sovereignty. Yes, we should do so in a manner that's as humane as possible, but we still have the right. The open borders movement is suicidal lunacy for the dems. Its how you got Trump in the first place.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    @sherb said:
    Of course it doesn't.

    Congress has earmarked 4.6 Billion to alleviate some of the conditions. That's a good start.

    They do not need to be held and they certainly do not need their children taken from them. Not allowing them to have fresh drinking water and toothpaste is not a matter of funding. It is a matter of purposeful cruelty.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,608 Senior Member

    @fishingcomic said:
    I think that we should have a law that takes into account how long has someone been here and have they been a law abiding tax paying person before making that decision. Deporting every undocumented person is unrealistic. This is not a case for open borders.

    Sure it is. If someone gets over the border, it's all good.

    She should have said something to the effect that we have to get undocumented aliens currently living in this country documented and on a path to citizenship. But once that's done, we need to stop illegal immigration.

    But she didn't. She probably "misheard" the question again.

  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

    If the kids should not be separated from their parents, which I agree with, and the kids should not be held, it means that the kids and parents should be released. That further means if parents show up at the border with kids and ask for asylum, the whole family unit is essentially free to enter the country before a determination on the asylum request. Once they are released into the country as a practical matter most will undoubtedly disappear in the country and stay. I don't have any good answers but I see the "don't separate the kids from the parents" and the "kids should not be held" positions as being tantamount to having an open border and thus a pitfall for the Ds who espouse those positions. In May of this year alone some 140,000 people showed up at the border. We simply cannot admit that many people into the country month in month out for any significant length of time, which is what would happen if the "don't separate the kids from the parents" and the "kids should not be held" positions are established.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    @Steven said:

    @fishingcomic said:
    I think that we should have a law that takes into account how long has someone been here and have they been a law abiding tax paying person before making that decision. Deporting every undocumented person is unrealistic. This is not a case for open borders.

    Sure it is. If someone gets over the border, it's all good.

    She should have said something to the effect that we have to get undocumented aliens currently living in this country documented and on a path to citizenship. But once that's done, we need to stop illegal immigration.

    But she didn't. She probably "misheard" the question again.

    That's okay, I get that nuance is difficult for you guys. Especially if it gives you a chance to build a nice fat strawman.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    @Green Mt Boy said:
    If the kids should not be separated from their parents, which I agree with, and the kids should not be held, it means that the kids and parents should be released. That further means if parents show up at the border with kids and ask for asylum, the whole family unit is essentially free to enter the country before a determination on the asylum request. Once they are released into the country as a practical matter most will undoubtedly disappear in the country and stay. I don't have any good answers but I see the "don't separate the kids from the parents" and the "kids should not be held" positions as being tantamount to having an open border and thus a pitfall for the Ds who espouse those positions. In May of this year alone some 140,000 people showed up at the border. We simply cannot admit that many people into the country month in month out for any significant length of time, which is what would happen if the "don't separate the kids from the parents" and the "kids should not be held" positions are established.

    Actually historically I believe over 90% show up.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    @Green Mt Boy said:
    If the kids should not be separated from their parents, which I agree with, and the kids should not be held, it means that the kids and parents should be released. That further means if parents show up at the border with kids and ask for asylum, the whole family unit is essentially free to enter the country before a determination on the asylum request. Once they are released into the country as a practical matter most will undoubtedly disappear in the country and stay. I don't have any good answers but I see the "don't separate the kids from the parents" and the "kids should not be held" positions as being tantamount to having an open border and thus a pitfall for the Ds who espouse those positions. In May of this year alone some 140,000 people showed up at the border. We simply cannot admit that many people into the country month in month out for any significant length of time, which is what would happen if the "don't separate the kids from the parents" and the "kids should not be held" positions are established.

    Actually historically I believe over 90% show up.

    https://www.richmond.com/news/national-world/ap/nearly-of-asylum-seeking-families-with-legal-aid-show-up/article_5f8c644a-72fa-5b10-bfb4-1d4a40b6035a.html

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,608 Senior Member

    @fishingcomic said:

    @Steven said:

    @fishingcomic said:
    I think that we should have a law that takes into account how long has someone been here and have they been a law abiding tax paying person before making that decision. Deporting every undocumented person is unrealistic. This is not a case for open borders.

    Sure it is. If someone gets over the border, it's all good.

    She should have said something to the effect that we have to get undocumented aliens currently living in this country documented and on a path to citizenship. But once that's done, we need to stop illegal immigration.

    But she didn't. She probably "misheard" the question again.

    That's okay, I get that nuance is difficult for you guys. Especially if it gives you a chance to build a nice fat strawman.

    So Harris doesn't understand nuance? That's not good.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    So Harris says she believes in open borders?

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

    OK, I stand corrected. The Ds will have to stress that fact, as the prevailing wisdom, as evidenced by my post, seems to be otherwise.

  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,608 Senior Member

    @fishingcomic said:
    So Harris says she believes in open borders?

    If it walks like a duck...

  • creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 361 Senior Member
    edited July 3 #112

    Reality for the Democratic Party: Ignore voter concerns over illegals having unlimited entry rights and watch Donald Trump win reelection. All this concern over treatment of detainees ignores the reality of concerns that people have about immigration. Hopefully its just the silly preprimary season, but Dems are digging themselves a hole.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,231 Senior Member

    @Green Mt Boy said:

    OK, I stand corrected. The Ds will have to stress that fact, as the prevailing wisdom, as evidenced by my post, seems to be otherwise.

    No, I think the prevailing wisdom is right.

    There's been a 650% increase in apprehensions in the El Paso sector, for example. And the highest number of people who show up for a court hearing that I've seen (that I found reputable) was 44%.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    @Steven said:

    @fishingcomic said:
    So Harris says she believes in open borders?

    If it walks like a duck...

    I am going to need you to talk in coherent sentences.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,608 Senior Member
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,231 Senior Member

    This photo has been making the rounds.

    A lot of people who should know better are drawing some fairly tenuous connections.

  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,077 Senior Member

    I think the problem with that photo is it appears that pence is uncaring. Of course we don't know what was going on at the moment the photo was taken. Photos, at best, tell part of a story. He could have been listening attentively to somebody. On the other hand, a politician should be aware of body language.

    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

    Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,172 Senior Member

    All this bickering all these years and nothing,, nothing getting done. Throwing billions, Billions!!!! of our hard earned money at it over and over. They make it seem like handing a bum a dollar with the understanding that he’ll just be back tomorrow. Same time same channel. I’m thinking both parties are playing the people like a slot machine. One that hits big every turn. Who is getting these billions?? Where is it? What do we have to show for any of it?

    manufactured outrage keeps people asking the wrong questions. Demanding the wrong solutions.

  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

    Yes, we should eliminate social services for the poor and indignant!

    anthropological and sociological studies have shown direct in-kind cash assistance to the needy helps improve their situation more than the same amount of social services offered.

    The experiments were in sub-Saharan African countries, I believe.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,423 Senior Member

    Elizabeth Warren will be out by NH.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

    Huh? Polls I’ve seen have het as co-leader with Bernie.

    I’m not particularly happy with Uncle Joe’s healthcare plan as outlined in his speech the other day.

    But I still think he is the guy to take down Trump. Bilgly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.