Iran says Revolutionary Guard shoots down US drone

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,807 Senior Member

IMO the appropriate response would be to deny it, or a shrug, or, at most, to take out an Iranian missile site.

Let's see.

https://apnews.com/e4316eb989d5499c9828350de8524963

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,772 Senior Member

It feels like a trap. Hopefully cooler heads make calculated moves.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,570 Senior Member

Cooler heads like John Bolton?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,317 Senior Member

@George K said:
    IMO the appropriate response would be to deny it, or a shrug, or, at most, to take out an Iranian missile site.

Let's see.

I think we confirmed it, but claiming it was in international airspace...which nobody on the interwebs seems to believe.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,807 Senior Member

Until proven otherwise I would accept that it was not in Iranian air space, simply because with it's surveillance capabilities there is no need for it to have been, and satellite guided navigation would have kept it in international air space. Unless, of course, the Iranians were able to hack the guidance system and bring it over their territory.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Trumps been a pretty centrist POTUS so far and I don't think he's hungry to go to war now. But I also think he's not going to let them push much further. They've been pushing us for a long time. Remember when they captured our boat with the Navy sailors? They're asking for it.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,735 Senior Member

Centrist???????????

He isn't anything. He has no policies; no direction; no compass; no morals. To the extennt that there is any policy consistency it is motivated by racism, xenophobia, cruelty, and his historically fragile ego.

@Steven said:

@George K said:

Let's see.

I think we confirmed it, but claiming it was in international airspace...which nobody on the interwebs seems to believe.

Given our history, do you blame them?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,735 Senior Member

Our credibility is a s s since Jan ‘17 so who knows?

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 963 Senior Member

Our credibility has been zilch since March 2003 when we invaded Iraq over nonexistent WMDs.

It actually goes back to the Gulf of Tonkin.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,604 Senior Member

If only a few countries had made a deal with Iran to maintain peace---allowing them to sell on world markets and not crippling their economy

if only someone had the fore sight to realize you catch more flies with honey than vinegar

Oh wait

I think our credibility healed a bit during the 80s and 90s, but regardless, it is squat now. It is too bad as it may well be that the drone was in international airspace and it does appear that Iran is going out of its way to jab us. However, our protestations are perceived among many who might otherwise be our allies in going after Iran as being just so much crying wolf. I see from news reports that Pres. Trump authorized airstrikes but then, at least for the moment, thought better of it and called them off. We have to be really careful. (1) We need to clearly be in the right, and (2) we have to have an end game. We can certainly bomb air defense radars and the Iranian navy, but then what?

@fishingcomic said:

Given our history, do you blame them?

Nope.

@Bushart said:
    If only a few countries had made a deal with Iran to maintain peace---allowing them to sell on world markets and not crippling their economy

if only someone had the fore sight to realize you catch more flies with honey than vinegar

Oh wait

I use a swatter. Y'know...just flatten 'em.

edited June 21 #16

@Green Mt Boy said:
    I think our credibility healed a bit during the 80s and 90s, but regardless, it is squat now. It is too bad as it may well be that the drone was in international airspace and it does appear that Iran is going out of its way to jab us. However, our protestations are perceived among many who might otherwise be our allies in going after Iran as being just so much crying wolf. I see from news reports that Pres. Trump authorized airstrikes but then, at least for the moment, thought better of it and called them off. We have to be really careful. (1) We need to clearly be in the right, and (2) we have to have an end game. We can certainly bomb air defense radars and the Iranian navy, but then what?

Here is the problem, who is to say that those installations will be unmanned at the time of the strike? Attacking a drone is not an act of war.

Not to mention, Pompeo is sounding an aweful lot like Cheney making claims to links with Al Queda and ISIS.

I think we back off and let the international community deal with them. They are clearly baiting the US. I don't know why, but they are. Maybe they are planning a strike on Israel as soon as we hit them? Then all hell breaks loose. Give them some rope, then sit back and watch them hang.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,712 Senior Member

@Green Mt Boy said:

Trump, after being told approx Iranian casualties to expect, didn't feel the response was proportional to shooting down an unmanned drone.

So what fresh hell is this? Trump is the voice of reason in his admin now?

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,582 Senior Member

"Cocked and Loaded." They were going to send in L.A. Gunns.... (hat tip to a friend for pointing that out.)

@breamfisher said:

"Cocked and Loaded." They were going to send in L.A. Gunns.... (hat tip to a friend for pointing that out.)

Pet peeve: it is “3 different sites” not “3 different sights” Mr. President.

@sherb said:

@Green Mt Boy said:

Trump, after being told approx Iranian casualties to expect, didn't feel the response was proportional to shooting down an unmanned drone.

So what fresh hell is this? Trump is the voice of reason in his admin now?

Yuppers---real glad he's an isolationist today

@Steven said:

@Bushart said:

Oh wait

I use a swatter. Y'know...just flatten 'em.

With this conviction to the cause---we can expect you'll be headin down to enlist soon??
    Get that basic training under your belt

I'm a little old, can't see and wear hearing aids. Maybe the Canadian navy will take me.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,582 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    I'm a little old, can't see and wear hearing aids. Maybe the Canadian navy will take me.

Only if you have mad canoeing skills.

I better get practicing. The Iranians would all be dead from laughing.

@Steven said:

Hey the glory of Bolton is in the works here

After all Iraq worked so well--might as well fight currently on 2 fronts

Tell one of your kids to enlist---after all you hold this as the greatest of importance
    Or your just satisfied deeming one of your neighbors sons or daughters as expendable

https://nypost.com/2019/06/20/putin-warned-us-before-drone-was-shot-down-not-to-attack-iran/

@Bushart said:

@Steven said:

Tell one of your kids to enlist---after all you hold this as the greatest of importance
    Or your just satisfied deeming one of your neighbors sons or daughters as expendable

https://nypost.com/2019/06/20/putin-warned-us-before-drone-was-shot-down-not-to-attack-iran/

Bush, they have a medication that will make the voices go away. You can probably drive across the border and get it quicker too.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 298 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    They are clearly baiting the US. I don't know why, but they are.

Gee Mike, we instituted economic sanctions that are hurting them. They are reacting to what they consider a provocation.

@MikeA said:

@Bushart said:

@Steven said:

Bush, they have a medication that will make the voices go away. You can probably drive across the border and get it quicker too.

Right---you have half the fleet offshore---10 minutes from a strike---you do not know where it leads if happens

And the voices are in my head??

I don't know why, meaning they surely know we have the ability to F them up badly.

Yeah....Iraq is half the size of Iran---how many American sons were lost F'n them up badly?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.