Bugs, Bugs, and Bugs

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 3,557 Senior Member

So, the new place is pretty rural although only 12 minutes from work. There's so much work going on that it by this time next year, it will look like every other planned community (although I can't figure out who's going to fill all those houses and there are already a bunch of empty houses).

So, this weekend, on the windows, I spotted a Light Cahill spinner, a little yellow stonefly, and what I'm guessing is a long horn sedge (rather small, brown and with super long antennae).

This morning, on my bathroom floor, was the biggest ant I have ever seen. Looked like a size 14. Thankfully, I didn't spot any others - they'd be impossible to miss.

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,003 Senior Member

When the pythons and iguanas come up through the toilet is when you really have to worry.

Seriously, though, is there a river or creek nearby?

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,557 Senior Member

Yeah. There are creeks, rivulets, springs, ponds all over the place. Figure that's what makes the land so fertile.

And the fishing?

I have never fished here. The Racoon River supposedly has smallies and then NE Iowa is in the Driftless so there's trout fishing.

I live by Sugar Creek. It looks just like every other trout stream in SW Wisconsin, but it has to be too warm. No idea what, if anything, in there. I'd guess chubs and maybe some blue gills in the pools.

Maybe I'll get my wife to drop me off at a reinforced section and pick me up a couple of hours later on Father's Day.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,094 Senior Member

Congrats on the move. You should have some Musky nearby too.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,575 Senior Member

Do you at least have a chicken coop, if not a hog pen, at the new place?

LOL. I said pretty rural, not BFE.

There's a beautiful field nearby filled with deer and wild turkeys, but they've already started working on it.

I really don't get the economics of the home building business. I don't understand continuing to build homes that likely won't be filled for some significant period of time.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,575 Senior Member

A wise man once told me, you can't just put the tip in. Either get farmin', or get back to Chicago.

/spits

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,777 Senior Member
    edited June 13 #10
    edited June 14 #11

Hey Buffy, speaking of animal husbandry, howz yer herd of sheep "coming" along?

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,030 Senior Member

Steven, give up the image, learn to tie you some tiny foam poppers and gurglers, and head out after some bluegill and maybe even some smallies. Hell, you might even want to think of going whole-hawg, buying a 30K bass boat and another 10k of rods, reels, and rigs, and really go bassin'! Either that or just keep driving to the driftless and sighing over the mayflies on your screen.

Jim

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,020 Senior Member

Lodge poll:

Now that Steven is an official country bumpkin, who buys a new F-250 first? Sherb or Steven?

Official Lodge Odds set at 5:2 for Steven.

edited June 14 #15

@Shawn C. said:
    Lodge poll:
    Now that Steven is an official country bumpkin, who buys a new F-250 first? Sherb or Steven?
    Official Lodge Odds set at 5:2 for Steven.

Is this the "against" or "on"?

On.

Sherb’s balls are in an undisclosed location under lock and key.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,098 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    On.
    Sherb’s balls are in an undisclosed location under lock and key.

that's the plain truth of it.

I don't know I'd take that bet.

So latest bug update:

Saw a Hex spinner on Saturday, more caddis, and I have either water boatmen or backswimmers in the tiny pool behind the house (about 3'x3' and maybe a few inches deep). There's a rivulet from a spring up the hill.

@magalloway said:
    Steven, give up the image, learn to tie you some tiny foam poppers and gurglers, and head out after some bluegill and maybe even some smallies. Hell, you might even want to think of going whole-hawg, buying a 30K bass boat and another 10k of rods, reels, and rigs, and really go bassin'! Either that or just keep driving to the driftless and sighing over the mayflies on your screen.

Jim

I did this a lot in Chicago. Haven't done it at all in Iowa.

Cook County had the Forest Preserve system. There was always a pond around filled with gills, large mouth, crappie and carp.

Nothing like that here. You see a body of water, it's owned by the HOA.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.