Idaho question for Sheb

CO NativeCO Native Senior MemberPosts: 1,522 Senior Member

A couple actually.
What is the fishing story on the Snake (or tribs) at Blackfoot?
About when is the area going to be good fishing (after runoff)?
I'm doing a demo next week for a customer in Blackfoot. If all goes well, I just might be able to weasel my way into a paid trip up there to install and train. I'd stay a few extra days for fishing.

I'm going to check in with Mel too.

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,854 Senior Member

That’s a lot closer to me than Sheb. How much of a travel radius from Blackfoot are you looking at?
    There’s nothing in Blackfoot. Lots of good stuff if you can or will drive a bit.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,882 Senior Member

Yeah, Shawn's the expert on SE Idaho. Or you could ask Lando or JD Miller

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,522 Senior Member

The training will only be 2 days, but after that, I'm free to roam. Rather than flying and getting a motel, I'll pull the 5th wheel up and put that money towards fuel. Once there, I'll fish my way home.
    I just hope it works out.

Gart,

For starters, you are about an hour from good wade fishing on the Henry's Fork. Once you drive north out of Idaho Falls, you get up to around St. Anthony and there is boat and wade access. A bit north of that is also the Warm River, a popular area for floaters to put in but a fun little fishery of its own. If you drive up the edge of the caldera into the greater Yellowstone ecosystem, you have the world famous Railroad Ranch (officially known as Harriman State Park) section of the Henry's Fork, along with a lot of other river up there that varies in character depending on what you want. Not much farther north of that and you are at Henry's Lake for Stillwater trout.

Hwy 20 between Warm River and ID Falls is the main conduit to get to the Falls and Teton Rivers, which drain from the Grand Tetons. I've not fished these two but I understand they are great fisheries and also serious af bear country. I'm not sure how far east you would have to drive from Hwy 20 to get to the fishy areas.

A good resource for fishing information is in Idaho Falls. Jimmy's All Season Angler is a good shop with good employees. Always worth a stop to get the local report and chat with the folks there.

If you are interested in anything specific (or camping recommendations), give me a shout and I can hopefully help out.

Scenery wise the area you are staying in (Blackfoot) is really, really bleak. Think the moon but with potatoes.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,522 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:

Scenery wise the area you are staying in (Blackfoot) is really, really bleak. Think the moon but with potatoes.

Explains a lot, the company is Spudnik. They build farming equipment for spuds.

Great company name!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.