The Army Made Me Buy an iPhone

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,812 Senior Member

Actually, it was the VA. Those devils gave me new hearing aids, gratis, that will connect directly with iPhones, but not with Android phones such as my Moto.

Any tips on switching from Android to Apple smart phones? I bought a certified used 7 Plus.

Also, any recommendations for Bluetooth noise cancelling earbuds with good sound quality?

I now am using wired Phiatons with an older iPod, with very good results. The new iPhone can replace the iPod and the wired earbuds. I find noise reduction essential on airplanes, which I find myself on about twice a year these days.

Thanks in advance.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,606 Senior Member

Remember when life was simple :-)

Big decisions were Pepsi or RC Cola

Good luck George---Tech is passin me by

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,012 Senior Member

Hmmm. I'm due new Gubmint hearing aids in July, and I wonder if I'll get the same kind of 'offer' from them. The problem is that I'm an absolute Luddite about cellphones and have an old flip phone that sits in the console of my car that comes out if and when I need it, not when every Tom, ****, wife, and child wants to know where I am. I can't see spending good money to replace it with the latest whiz-bang at big bucks to let it sit just because it matches my hearing aids.

Jim

Apparebtly you can't use Richard's nickname on this site anymore.

jim

and I still need to slow down and edit.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member

You sure it's not just your Moto phone? My buddy got 'em and he uses an app on his Samsung phone.

Only advice I have is "Bend over" and be aware that you won't get a kiss after they screw you.

Apple products are so overpriced and since everything about them is proprietary , they can really screw you around and not a thing you can do about it.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,812 Senior Member

@magalloway said:
    Hmmm. I'm due new Gubmint hearing aids in July, and I wonder if I'll get the same kind of 'offer' from them. The problem is that I'm an absolute Luddite about cellphones and have an old flip phone that sits in the console of my car that comes out if and when I need it, not when every Tom, ****, wife, and child wants to know where I am. I can't see spending good money to replace it with the latest whiz-bang at big bucks to let it sit just because it matches my hearing aids.

Jim

Mine are Oticon Opn that I received in February. I recommend them highly, they are a big improvement over my four year old ones. Since then there is a newer model, the Opn-S.

https://www.oticon.com/breaking-the-rules?utm_source=googleSEM&utm_medium=b2c&utm_campaign=opnS&utm_term=oticon&utm_content=effort&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_MmMoOnc4gIVhrfACh3opAe4EAAYASAAEgLAzvD_BwE

I used a flip phone until a couple of years ago, but now like the PC power of smart phones, things like navigation for rental cars that lack it, reading the news, getting weather updates etc. Better ones also have pretty good built-in cameras and can record audio as well.

I do not use it for social media, and am not one of these people you see glued to their phones at all times, even when in a restaurant with friends or partners.

p.s. If you know any youngsters going into medicine I'll pass on a tip given to me by a friend who was a hand surgeon - point them in that direction: the thumb is the only joint with no back-up, and lots of folks are going to be needing thumb surgery in the not too distant future. :)

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member

Jim is hereby awarded 10 out of a possible 10 “GOML” points.
    Congratulations on the first perfect score in Lodge history!

Jim is also not wise about abbreviations used these days. please explain "GOML." Thank you.

Jim

I suddenly realized you meant "Get Off My Lawn!" Actually, I'm tot that type of old phart, except for dog walkers who leave me presents, then I go ballistic, threatening to track them down and throw said present against their front door. Oh, yeah, and throwers of empty beer cans, Vienna sausage cans, ounce liquor bottles, and other trash from cars into the lawn. the gaffers who really surprise me, though, the the ones with the "Posted! No Turnaround! Police Take Notice!" signs posted at the entrance to their driveways--it's almost like they think that the constant turnaround traffic's going to wear out their asphalt.

Jim

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 301 Senior Member

I have caved gracefully. I bought a Jitterbug, the phone advertised for geezers in the AARP magazine, with big letters and a simple yes-no menu. It sits in the car.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member

I remember the TV ads for that thing. I think it has two buttons. Pharmacy refill and 911. ;)

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    I remember the TV ads for that thing. I think it has two buttons. Pharmacy refill and 911. ;)

I just shot tea out of my nose. Thank God it was iced and not hot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.