June 6th

BushartBushart Senior MemberPosts: 2,912 Senior Member

This day is relevant to me for a couple reasons....

Some years ago my bare a-s-s hit the floor on this day

And of course D-Day

It is hard to fathom the bravery that took place on those beaches in France

Imagine being the first group off the boats hitting the beach

We cannot know how we'd react to that scenario ---unless your there

it's 75 years now that they made history

Americans and Brits and several thousand Canadians at Juno beach

RIP Boys

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,959 Senior Member

My Dad was there , second wave, and one of my fishing dinner buddies ( Letort Regulars) who died a couple of years ago, was first wave. Sips poured ans salutes rendered.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,072 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #3

I have a very strong feeling I would have got killed before I could exit the landing craft.

Too many lives cut short over a mad man. RIP

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,072 Senior Member

My Uncle Brad piloted the landing craft. My dad told me that my Uncle told him, there was a lot of sea sickness. But he wouldn't share much else.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,947 Senior Member

Unimaginable courage. I’m sure they were all frightened out of their wits, but they still did it.

Bravery isn’t not being scared. It’s being scared and still doing what needs to be done.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,912 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    I have a very strong feeling I would have got killed before I could exit the landing craft.

Too many lives cut short over a mad man. RIP

I think that about me as well
    It's like that movie Hacksaw Ridge-(Okinawa) got me thinking----I don't know how you make it when you keep shooting and they keep coming

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,029 Senior Member

I knew 1s/second wave survivors growing up who refused to talk about it, must have been ghastly. Speaking of Hacksaw Ridge, one of the gut-wrenching things it pointed out was the night sounds of the rats coming out to feast on the bodies. I nearly lost my prior three meals at that point.

jim

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,959 Senior Member

I went to V-N on a troop ship. As we approached shore at 0:dark early we were told to grab all our stuff, fix bayonets, and climb down those huge rope net ladders into the landing craft. But we were not issued ammunition, which should have told us we were being played - but we were all scared sheetless and did not stop to Sherlock it out. :)

Then, a little after dawn the landing craft headed towards the beach. We crouched down in tense anticipation. When the landing craft ground ashore and the front went down we charged out, not knowing what to expect. Instead of enemy machine gun fire there were old women peddling beer and soft drinks and offering to do laundry, and little kids offering dope and their sisters. It was like Tijuana crossed with Montego Bay.

We had landed at Cap St Jacques, AKA Vung Tau, then an unofficial open city that both sides used for R&R.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

I think my main terror of that whole affair would have been coming down cargo affair with guys arunde having fixed bayonets. My only experience with the damned things was in parades and such, hoping some damned fool behind me wouldn't pass out in 101 degree heat.

Jim

nets, not affair

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,912 Senior Member

Watched a bunch on D-day this past round

Consistent info was as they approached the beach----bullets were ringing off the landing craft door before it opened

And they still charged on

I can only imagine that you would have to have the mindset that if it's your time---it will be
    Then again maybe not?

Don't think the first guys would make out too well??
    Unbelievable fortitude

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.