Home The Lodge

Power Politics = Hypocrisy

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 1,076 Senior Member
edited May 2019 in The Lodge #1

Not for Obama, but OK for Trump. McConnell says he'd confirm Supreme Court justice in election year

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiENEl3WcBNKQLujNG1yHpO_sqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowvIaCCzDnxf4CMP2F8gU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

I get it. The Rs control the Senate. But don’t justify refusing to consider Obama’s nominee (Merrick Garland, a middle of the road guy) on the basis that there is a presidential election later that year and the will of the voters should control. Instead, just be upfront and say “we control the Senate and are going to use that power to get what we want (or, more accurately, to stick a stick in Obama’s eye just because we can).”

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 5,851 Senior Member

Probably the most audacious gamble McConnell has ever made, and it paid off, bigly.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 5,851 Senior Member

I remember at the time thinking McConnell was just delaying the inevitable, since Hillary was a lock. :)

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,834 Senior Member

I thought McConnell's refusal wasn't just because there was an election, but because there was an election and the Presidency and the Senate were controlled by different parties. The news article cited even said so.

"McConnell has conveyed this reasoning several times — the decision not to consider Garland's nomination was because the Senate was held by a different party than the president leading into an election. His answer Tuesday is consistent with that claim." - software won't allow me to italicize this block of font.

That wouldn't be the case next year.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #5

@breamfisher said:
    I thought McConnell's refusal wasn't just because there was an election, but because there was an election and the Presidency and the Senate were controlled by different parties. The news article cited even said so.

"McConnell has conveyed this reasoning several times — the decision not to consider Garland's nomination was because the Senate was held by a different party than the president leading into an election. His answer Tuesday is consistent with that claim." - software won't allow me to italicize this block of font.

That wouldn't be the case next year.

I don't think that holds water. The Republicans justified their refusal to take up the nomination of Garland because there was going to be an election, and they felt the new President should fill the vacancy. Listen to what Lindsey Graham had to say at the time:

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,726 Senior Member

McConnell said straight out that the issue is the president being a lame duck with an opposing Senate. Lindsay Graham said the same thing.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member

Another in a long line of duplicitous P O S Republicans. I laugh so hard when I hear conservatives talk against situational ethics.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement