Vermont votes to ban references to slavery in state constitution

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 4,099 Senior Member

Kind of an interesting story, even though I agree with the lone dissenter.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/440727-vermont-senate-votes-to-remove-all-references-to-slavery-from-state?__twitter_impression=true

My question is different: does everyone talk like a lunatic undergrad now?

James Lyall, executive director of the ACLU of Vermont, told CNN the measure was “an important recognition of our society's failure to root out systemic racism and white supremacy culture, which does violence to communities of color every day, here in Vermont and across the nation.”

Vermont was the first state to outlaw slavery. In 1777.

Replies

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member

I’ve spent every day, Tuesday through Friday, all day, every week since early January in that statehouse. Monday’s they are not in session. Looking forward to the end of the session in late May. If there isn’t a subsequent veto override session it will time out nicely for being able to get out on the streams for peak trout fishing. Unlike last year kumbaya reigns between the D legislature and R Governor so I’m hopeful.

The constitutional amendment the Senate advanced is a feel good non substantive proposition. I guess there is no harm in it, but it seems superfluous. The lone nay vote is from a liberal D who is into history and sees the language being stricken from the constitution as a reflection of times when an apprentice would be bound to his master per a contract signed by the parents. It really isn’t about slavery. The proposition has to be passed by the House this biennium (2019-2020) and then passed again by both chambers in the 2021-2022 biennium, and then passed by the voters.

The ACLU guy is looking for glory and trying to be relevant. Mind you, I’m fine with the ACLU-glad it exists-but the VT chapter has to look for things to do as VT is not exactly a hotbed for suppressing civil liberties (but not necessarily without a minor blemish from time to time).

I wish the legislature would attempt to do less, but do what it really needs to do better.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.