More Good News

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 10,040 Senior Member

LONDON (AP) — WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was forcibly bundled out of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London and into a waiting British police van on Thursday, setting up a potential court battle over attempts to extradite him to the U.S. to face charges related to the publication of tens of thousands of secret government documents.

British police arrested Assange after the South American nation decided to revoke the political asylum that had given Assange sanctuary for almost seven years. Ecuador’s President Lenin Moreno said he took the action due to “repeated violations to international conventions and daily life.”

In Washington, the U.S. Justice Department accused Assange with conspiring with Chelsea Manning to break into a classified government computer at the Pentagon. The charge was announced after Assange was taken into custody.

His lawyer has previously said that Assange planned to fight any U.S. charges against him.

Assange took refuge in the embassy in 2012 after he was released on bail in Britain while facing extradition to Sweden on sexual assault allegations that have since been dropped.

British police said Thursday that Assange had been arrested for breaching his bail conditions in Britain and in relation to the U.S. arrest request.

Moreno, speaking in a video released on Twitter, said the country was no longer willing to give Assange protection. Other Ecuadorian officials in Quito accused supporters of WikiLeaks and two Russian hackers of attempting to destabilize their country.

“The discourteous and aggressive behavior of Mr. Julian Assange, the hostile and threatening declarations of its allied organization, against Ecuador, and especially the transgression of international treaties, have led the situation to a point where the asylum of Mr. Assange is unsustainable and no longer viable,” Moreno said...

https://apnews.com/f9878e358d1a4cde9685815b0512909d

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

FWIW:

Don’t celebrate the indictment of Julian Assange

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/2019/04/11/dont-celebrate-indictment-julian-assange/

I don’t really care about the man’s politics or the fact that (oddly, IMO) he is a Trump supporter. I don’t like the fact that he stole and published government secrets that exposed intelligence operatives to risk.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,040 Senior Member
    edited April 11 #3

I get the freedom of the press aspect and, apparently, so does DOJ. His indictment is not for receiving or publishing classified material, but rather for helping Chelsea get into one or more password protected computers from which the files were taken. It is difficult to call that "journalism" or a free speech activity. Apparently Manning was unable to accomplish this on his (at that time) own and asked Assange for help.

If this is true, Assange either is a top notch hacker or had help, most likely from Russian intelligence, as has been suggested in the U.S. press.

Perhaps this charge is pretense as the article says, but in the famous example frequently cited, so was sending Al Capone to jail for tax evasion.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.