Home The Lodge

Fishing the Gallatin

2»

Replies

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 361 Senior Member

Tsk, a thread about nymphing: what has the Lodge come too. You know, its just a bit away from accidentally snagging the fish on the lip, and how do you know you didn't!
    At any rate, "French Nymphing" has got to be illegal in civilized states Like Colorado. I can see they would do it in Nevada, where stuff like that is legal if you have the money, and Wyoming and Montana where they don't know any better.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 5,836 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #33
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,998 Senior Member

Sherb, nobody here knows him. Our Colorado gang all know Mike from Eagle.
    His fly boxes so perfect they make me feel inadequate. I had a picture of one, I'll see if I can find it.

I had to look up "center pinning". Mike uses a regular rod and reel. He just fishes it just like you would with a flyline and bobber, but does it all by feel with mono line.

Here ya go, Mr Anderson.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,151 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    Here ya go, Mr Anderson.

The German version has a damping strut (with a built-in microchip) instead of that coil spring thingy. It automatically adjusts in three millisecond for every change in the water's current, depth and temperature.

"...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will

The Italian version is expensive to fix and you have to go all the way to Salt Lake.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,151 Senior Member

A few Septembers ago I booked a float trip on the Madison out of what used to be Bud Lilly's shop in West Yellowstone. It was cold and windy. There had been half an inch of snow overnight. The fishing was not good; I had perhaps a half dozen, of which three were whitefish. Fun to catch, but not what I had hoped for.

Anyway, several times a large fish had risen to and mouthed the large balloon bobber above the heavy nymph. After the third time or so I suggested using a Chernobyl Hopper - which I had in my bag - as an indicator. He refused because "I just don't like to do that". So, balloons were OK, but out of season more-or-less-naturals are not?

He got the minimum tip and I told him why, politely. He was unable to explain why the balloon was good and the hopper not.

Rant over :)

"...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement