so what's the deal with the blackface?

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 3,886 Senior Member

This is not a thing where I grew up. I wouldn't have found it objectionable because I never knew anyone actually did it. Maybe its a Western thing. I would have found it really weird and wondered what the point of the costume was.

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,812 Senior Member

Not sure where things turned in history?

It's not just blackface---which I agree is weird

Now don't go to a costume party dressed like a Native American etc etc---cultural appropriation I believe is the rally words

Hey--I'm of Irish/Scottish heritage---ya wanna drink too much in a kilt....give er

Now what if Liam Neeson was in Blackface?

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,921 Senior Member

Same here and I'm in the south. I didn't even know it was a thing until recently.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,921 Senior Member

@Bushart said:
    Not sure where things turned in history?

>

Now don't go to a costume party dressed like a Native American etc etc---cultural appropriation I believe is the rally words

That reminds me, Pocahontas is back in the news...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/02/elizabeth-warren-native-american-texas-bar-form-apology.amp

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,012 Senior Member

Up until the late 60s the frats at the Univ. of VT held an event called “kake walk” that involved a lot of blackface. The frat boys put on skits in blackface. I was young, never attended, but I recall it was a big deal. People came to realize it was insensitive and it was abolished in 1969.

https://cdi.uvm.edu/collection/kakewalk

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,217 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    Maybe its a Western thing.

I don't think its a wesstern thing. Granted I was in grade school when the Virginian politicians were doing their black face but I don't recall ever seeing it out west.

Now at Halloween plenty of kids dressed up as cowboys and Indians but I don't recall ever seeing anyone black faced.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,308 Senior Member

Oh come on. Did you guys never watch cartoons?

@Buffco said:

True, I meant more people dressed up

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,885 Senior Member

@Buffco said:

You do know that a lot of those cartoons are not shown any more right? They were indeed racist.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@fishingcomic said:

@Buffco said:

You do know that a lot of those cartoons are not shown any more right? They were indeed racist.

And cartoons today suck. God some of the crap the kids watch makes me want to stab my eyes out.

Watchin Elmer Fudd repeatedly blowin Daffy Duck's head off---It's a wonder I'm not a maniac

oh wait???

@jbilly said:

@fishingcomic said:

@Buffco said:

And cartoons today suck. God some of the crap the kids watch makes me want to stab my eyes out.

There are plenty of old cartoons without racist jokes. It was a different time, white men truly had their privilege to insult people of color with impunity. But that doesn't mean you can't find plenty of Looney Tunes and the like to laugh your butt off on.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,308 Senior Member

I wasn't saying they weren't. I was just amazed that everybody seemed to never have seen blackface before.

My Gramma had kissing kewpie dolls. I think black face is more of a southern thing. The worst thing we had in NY were lawn jockeys and some of them were in white face.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,916 Senior Member
    edited February 7 #16

I still see occasional black-faced lawn jockeys in southern PA, MD and VA, and any number of Confederate battle flags, especially on pick-up trucks. I'm not counting the flags around Gettysburg that are show side by side with the Stars and Stripes.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Bless its heart, this new software blocks the singular of "jockeys".

@George K said:
    Bless its heart, this new software blocks the singular of "jockeys".

Obviously the software is prejudice against short, light saddle sittin teamsters
    when will this madness end?? And we can all love each other....even tho the #&*@ cost me the daily double

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,886 Senior Member

@jbilly said:

@sherb said:
    Maybe its a Western thing.

I don't think its a wesstern thing. Granted I was in grade school when the Virginian politicians were doing their black face but I don't recall ever seeing it out west.

That's what I meant. I don't ever recall it being a thing out here.

Don't get me wrong, we had plenty of our own racial issues (Mexicans, mainly) but blackface would have been really odd. I've been racking my brain trying to recall if I ever saw anyone wearing it and I cannot think of a single instance.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,858 Senior Member

*wracked

Though both spellings are technically correct, a proud Sagebrush U. Alum should, I believe, spell it ‘wrack’ when using it as a verb.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,075 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    The worst thing we had in NY were lawn jockeys and some of them were in white face.

There is a black guy that lives 12 miles north of me in one of the unicorporated towns. He has a lawn **** in his front yard but he painted the face and hands white. Problem is he only used once coat of paint so the dark color bleeds through.

:o

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,886 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    *wracked

Though both spellings are technically correct, a proud Sagebrush U. Alum should, I believe, spell it ‘wrack’ when using it as a verb.

google has 3,630,000 hits on this. But I just learned it today. What a time to be alive.

Now that its ok if you had these minor indiscretions in college of going black face does this mean the left will be petitioning for Megan Kelly to get her job back? Heck she didn't even wear one.

Sometimes politicians and hangers on of all persuasions make me want to go all you-know-who on them and label them "undermen". This morning I watched all of This Week and Meet the Press. and the second half of Face the Nation. All three shows had panels ranging from very lib to far or Christian right, and all three panels discussed the mess in Virginia.

All three panels also discussed it solely as a political and PR issue. Not one of these talking heads stopped to wonder if wearing blackface really rose to the same level of seriousness as allegations of **** and sexual assault, although one person did mention the GOP rallying around Kavanaugh.

Pass the barf bag, please.

edited February 10 #26

@George K said:

All three panels also discussed it solely as a political and PR issue. Not one of these talking heads stopped to wonder if wearing blackface really rose to the same level of seriousness as allegations of r a p e and sexual assault, although one person did mention the GOP rallying around Kavanaugh.

Pass the barf bag, please.

2019 is just a carry over from 2018. This is just more of the "zero tolerance" type polices. Logic and common sense need not apply. Everything is a major issue, every thing is the same, everything is heinous, and everything must be dealt with in the same manner....by burning it all down, scorched earth style.

edited February 10 #27

I edited my post to remove the **** bleep. Perhaps instead of r a p e we could use "canola" on the board, being as the actual name of "canola oil" is **** seed oil. >:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.