2019 Fishing Plans

bmmikebmmike Posts: 519 Senior Member

What are your fishing plans for the new year?

I dont have much big planned this year, just a lot of local. Id like to hike into 8 different alpine lakes this coming summer. Last summer I made it to 6 different lakes, with 3 of those lakes done twice. There are some 400 lakes in the Absaroka-Beartooths, so my options are pretty unlimited. I am also most likely purchasing that drift boat from one of my friends for floating the Yellowstone. Its not exactly what I want - Id prefer a raft as I am mostly just interested in lazy river, beer drinking floating and prefer hiking to fish - but the price is right. That is going to cut into my mountain time this summer for sure, the hardest part being the managing of expectations with shewhomustbeobeyed as she will want to be on the river quite a bit.

If I go anywhere, it’ll just be a road trip to BC to fish with the Frenchman (he doesn’t know it yet). I went and crashed at his place a couple summers back and we had a great time hiking and fishing.

Anyone have anything fun planned?

Happy New Years, nogs.

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,690 Senior Member

As we are locked in ice now till spring---I'm just waitin to get back in my boat

I gave up ice fishin some years back

I may try some great Lakes tribs in the spring for steelhead---not sure

I know it's not purist but---lately I've been havin the most fun with largies and topwaters---it's a blast

Will re-do this early in the spring

And it was hard gettin the wife off the river last fall with these guys goin

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,951 Senior Member

with my dad moving up here, i might actually get out and fish....been 2-3 years since i've done any coldwater fishing

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,791 Senior Member

I’ve got a couple of Euro-rigs I want to try. Other than that, no plans.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,194 Senior Member

I plan on buying a license and using it more than once this year, :'(

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 519 Senior Member

@Bushart said:
    As we are locked in ice now till spring---I'm just waitin to get back in my boat

I gave up ice fishin some years back

I may try some great Lakes tribs in the spring for steelhead---not sure

I know it's not purist but---lately I've been havin the most fun with largies and topwaters---it's a blast

Will re-do this early in the spring

And it was hard gettin the wife off the river last fall with these guys goin

I too love the chug of a buzzbait interrupted with the sound of a toilet flush as a largemouth inhales it.

@sherb said:
    I’ve got a couple of Euro-rigs I want to try. Other than that, no plans.

If you come over here, you wont even have to tow your boat!

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,706 Senior Member

There was some discussion here of Yellowstone. I would like to do that. Also I want to try and get that cut slam done this year.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@fishingcomic said:
    There was some discussion here of Yellowstone. I would like to do that.

Agree. We need to make this happen.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,863 Senior Member

A few real plans, a few possibilities. In January or February we often drive to Florida and Georgia to get away from winter for a couple of weeks and visit family and friends. I always carry a couple of rods, but rarely get to use them.

My local season always starts with Hickory Shad in nearby Maryland, hoping for the sort of runs we had back ten-twenty years or so ago when 200 fish days were possible, 100 fish days the norm, all c&r. The last few years have not been good.

After that it's trout until bass season opens - river smallies, large mouth and sunnies in lakes and farm ponds as well as trout in spring creeks and tailwaters that remain cold..

We're going to a family wedding in Laramie over Memorial Day weekend,and then on to the Dakotas for ten days of tourism around TR National, Badlands National and Custer State Parks. I've built in a couple of days to fish either the Pouder, North Platte, Laramie(s) or the little creek that runs through Centennial, depending on conditions.

Lake Erie tribs steelhead in October/November round out my season unless the market makes an effing stunning rebound, in which case we may may celebrate with a week in the Bahamas, Belize or the Riviera Maya where I can fish for bonefish and perhaps tarpon (or permit, in my dreams).

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 981 Senior Member

Come May I’ll start fishing the trout streams around here—northern VT. In late May/June I’ll head over to Maine to fish the spring run of landlocked Atlantic salmon-they come out of the lakes and chase spawning smelts into the tribs (there are opportunities for LLS in VT too, but more in ME). Will also hike in to brook trout ponds in ME where a buddy and I have canoes stashed. Will continue fishing locally through the summer and in September back to Maine to fish the landlocks on their fall spawning runs.

Before all of that during the first week of March my wife and I are spending a week in the Bahamas and I’ll do some DIY fishing for bones. May hire a guide.

I can’t complain.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,343 Senior Member

@jbilly said:
    I plan on buying a license and using it more than once this year, :'(

This was me in 2018. Maybe 2019 will be different.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,023 Senior Member

I'm in ice fishing mode right now. Been cleaning house on crappies and bluegills. Will try for some Walleye soon.

WI early catch and release trout season starts this Saturday. Any weekends with probable temps above 30 degrees I will make plans to go trout fishing.

Otherwise another trip to trout fish in Colorado in August is in order this year.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,792 Senior Member

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:
    There was some discussion here of Yellowstone. I would like to do that.

Agree. We need to make this happen.

What time frame are we thinking? I'm guessing early August to make sure runoff is over?

I don't know what/where I'm going for a fishing vacay this year. The usual spot we go to in Northern ID has not been fishing too well over the past few years. Not horrible by any means, but not as good. We (wife and I) could use a change of scenery so I'm looking for a new spot to travel to for a week of camping/fishing. Other than that, I'd really like to do the NE Jellystone thing with you guys.

That time frame could work for me.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Late July would be better.

Also, work on your physical fitness , fatties. The best water on Slough ends up being a 16 mile day.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,855 Senior Member
    edited January 3 #18

If it stops raining,, Musky fishing this winter. Then Striper April- Sept. Our Trout rivers are in pretty bad shape. Our tailwaters don't fair well on really wet years, and we've have several in a row here. Maybe a Trip somewhere west or south, but nothing planned yet.

@bmmike said:
    Also, work on your physical fitness , fatties. The best water on Slough ends up being a 16 mile day.

Who's gonna haul the cooler in that far? We should make Shawn do it.

@sherb said:

@bmmike said:

Who's gonna haul the cooler in that far? We should make Shawn do it.

Ok, but if he starts lagging behind we are leaving him for dead.

16 miles? Is that the famed Bataan stretch of Slough Creek?

Soda butte creek runs alongside the road. I'm just throwing that out there.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,343 Senior Member

Just made plans to hit the black caddis hatch with our chief investment officer. Now if it doesn't pour.

edited January 3 #24

Yeah, I am doing BC with Frenchie early August so let’s do Jellystone late July. Weekend of 20th or 27th work?

Soda Butte IS right near the road and it is a nice stream with nice fish, but it’s where all the fatties and elderlies and females fish. Not all of us like to stand in one spot and floss cutties — some of us might like to cover lots of water and fish to risers!

Fish to risers. . . you mean with a dry? meh. :)

20th and /or 27th work just fine. You guys pick. I just have to have my leave requests in by end of this month.
    But yeah... Tungsten in Jellystone is an affront to western civilization. I've had one of my best days ever catching beaucoup cutties on the Lamar with drys. I gotta say, even if it weren't for the fishing opportunities, that is my favorite area of the park.

@bmmike said:
    Yeah, I am doing BC with Frenchie early August so let’s do Jellystone late July. Weekend of 20th or 27th work?

Soda Butte IS right near the road and it is a nice stream with nice fish, but it’s where all the fatties and elderlies and females fish. Not all of us like to stand in one spot and floss cutties — some of us might like to cover lots of water and fish to risers!

Have you met Shawn or I?

I am good for whatever.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.