Louis CK back in hot water

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 4,093 Senior Member

This time for a leaked comedy set.

I'll say this for him: he swings for the fences. Gotta give him that.

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,291 Senior Member

Here's an idea if people don't like his show don't go see it. But no instead lets have some more rage. Yawn

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,239 Senior Member

That's Sean Hannity's bit. He should do it on the road, but not in the city.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

This is something I posted on another discussion.

I always thought he was funny before this all came out, so it is disappointing to find out that he is what I abhor. (using this a lot today.) So I can't watch him now. I don't think he has done enough of an act of contrition to make up for the acts he committed. But I don't think I am the one to decide that. I think that is up to his victims.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,564 Senior Member

I just listened to the whole set. It was funny to me.

I hate this whole country right now. I hate our cancellation culture where we destroy someone we don't like. I'm not defending CK'S actions but I just really can't find any f***s to give. Like comic said, I think this is between him and his victims.

I still want you hear edgy comedy, I want to hear r.a.p.e jokes, sexist, racist, homophobic jokes... as long as it's funny, it works. I don't want a watered down comedy act.

I think comedy is our best litmus test for how free our society is to speak. As goes comedy, so goes the rest of society.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,039 Senior Member

@Buffco said:

I hate this whole country right now. I hate our cancellation culture where we destroy someone we don't like. I'm not defending CK'S actions but I just really can't find any f***s to give. Like comic said, I think this is between him and his victims.

I still want you hear edgy comedy, I want to hear r.a.p.e jokes, sexist, racist, homophobic jokes... as long as it's funny, it works. I don't want a watered down comedy act.

I think comedy is our best litmus test for how free our society is to speak. As goes comedy, so goes the rest of society.

I try to access comedy as much as possible----However I was never a fan of CK's stuff---just a personal opinion.

But on another spin---I used to watch "The Daily Show" with regularity---I liked Jon Stewart's stuff

So I gave Trevor Noah a 1st--2nd --and 3rd attempt---I had to give up

I watch comedy to laugh--and on many topics---but IMO "The Daily Show" now just wants me to watch the struggles of life in Black America (me...right??)

Not why I watch comedy---this has venues elsewhere

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,551 Senior Member

I don't find him that funny either, but after listening to it, it's not that bad. Actually laughed and the pushing of the fat kid. So I guess I'm horrible too.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,551 Senior Member

I don't find him that funny either, but after listening to it, it's not that bad. Actually laughed and the pushing of the fat kid. So I guess I'm horrible too.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,000 Senior Member

Two times over. :)

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,093 Senior Member

I've always loved his stuff. He knows how to push it.

But look, its not like the guy just turned into Andrew Dice Clay or something. He tells **** jokes and laments the fact that he can't use the word "****." And he's done it forever.

There's nothing new here. Transgressive humor is his stock in trade.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,093 Senior Member

apparently he's too much for the board's software. :)

edited January 3 #12

@Buffco said:

The man used his power and influence to hinder the careers of some seriously funny women. He was known to be quite the ****. He is getting what he deserves. None of the victims I've heard from think he should have a comeback. Not now anyay.

Not his best bit btw, it sounded to me like he was pandering for the Trumpers.

I'm not bemoaning his fate, although it did sound like it. I do not, however, think he's a Bill Cosby.

I've been listening to a lot of Bill Burr lately so I'm a bit on edge.

All i'm seeing are attempts to say his released act was distasteful, inappropriate...

It's only because he killed his **** out. The jokes aren't the problem, but that's what they'll make it out to be. They just don't want him to talk again. This is what I was saying. We live in a cancellation culture where we destroy someone not based on material but because of other things we deem offensive. **** them all.

I will continue to ignore these PC **** and listen to whatever comedy I find funny. And I hope CK and others adopt a similar attitude. But I fear they won't because their livelihood is at stake. Norm apologized to those sea cows on The View. Don't ever apologize.

He *pulled his **** out, not killed it

edited January 4 #16

@Buffco said:
    He *pulled his **** out, not killed it

I have no issue with the joke other than it was not funny which was due to the obvious pandering. Hell he even wore a suit. Louis does not do suits. I am telling you, he is pandering to the Trumptards, they are okay with ****.

Imagine if he did what he did to your wife of sister. Would you be okay with him making millions?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.