Dive bars

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 3,714 Senior Member
edited December 2018 in The Lodge #1

Replies

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,714 Senior Member

    But, tell me about either your last dive bar experience, or your best. That might be fun.

    George K's was Rick's in Casablanca. I guess that's technically a gin joint.

  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,586 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #3

    Looking further, I'm wondering how they can sell the Gretsch for $1,450. It's $1.00 at most shops, retail...

  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,608 Senior Member

    Well couple years ago in a remote northern town....I would occasional y frequent a bar that had OTB--they installed it as it's natural allure was not cuttin it :)

    So one evening I'm there watching some racing---and there is just one other old guy at that end as well (Big screens were kept at one end and the bar at the other)

    Now as it happens the washrooms were at our end---and the ladies washroom immediately adjacent to the wagering counter

    So there was a table from the bar that had 6 or so 20-30 somethings---looking like they had been there some time---increasingly getting louder

    So I look up from my program and this blond woman bolts into the bathroom---nothing abnormal??
    Then running in quickly behind her---her would-be boyfriend
    OK---that's new??

    So after a surprisingly short time---he comes out---and her not long after
    Old guy betting horses gives her a giggle--as she emerges

    You could hear her as she returned to her warming beer----"it was ok"

    Surprisingly no cover charge for this establishment

  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 507 Senior Member

    My favorite dive bar experience was on the northwest coast of Ireland in County Donegal with my friends Fergal and Iwan (who some of you may remember from the ye old forums here in its heyday).

    We 3 met in Ireland for some fishing, quite a few years back. Fergal had a family holiday house on the northwest coast in what is the most undeveloped and wild part of the island. The little village had the one bar. I would've been the youngest in the bar followed by Iwan and Fergal, the rest older Irish fisher types speaking mostly Gaelic.

    At one point a female walked into the bar. Was one of those record-scratch moments -- noise level dropped and the drunk Irish fellows all focused to her. Turned out she lived upstairs as the pub was essentially a house with the lower level converted to a bar. Not a 1 btw.

    Anyway, these old fellows knew the general time the local police officer made his rounds. There was only one for the area. The bar was supposed to legally close at a certain time, but they just turned the front lights out and we all just kept drinking well into the night. Theyd all go out for a smoke except round the time they knew he make is rounds of the area at which point the proprietor apparently didnt mind everyone smoking inside near the peat-burning fireplace.

    We ended up being generously given a ride back to Fergal's holiday house by the proprietor sometime in the wee hours of morning, then Fergal walked back to pick up his car in the morning.

    Good times. Very Irish experience.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,714 Senior Member

    I like this bar where the bartender smokes in violation of state law. He's a retired Marine. I'm the only customer under 60 most days*

    *I'm not allowed to go very often.

  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,326 Senior Member

    It wasn't a dive bar, but I once witnessed a full on brawl straight out of the movies while in a honky-tonk in Liberty, NY. Chairs, bottles, the whole bit.

    There's this biker bar in Bear Valley, Wisconsin (which is basically one house, a defunct gas station, and this bar). Never had the nuts to go in.

    I can't remember if it's Pat's or Mike's (some Irish name) in Readstown, WI. Phenomenal burgers.

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,714 Senior Member

    I saw a full-blown brawl at the world's best dive bar last summer, now that you mention it.

    https://www.change.org/p/city-of-san-clemente-shut-down-big-helyn-s-saloon

  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,608 Senior Member

    @bmmike said:
    My favorite dive bar experience was on the northwest coast of Ireland in County Donegal with my friends Fergal and Iwan (who some of you may remember from the ye old forums here in its heyday).

    We 3 met in Ireland for some fishing, quite a few years back. Fergal had a family holiday house on the northwest coast in what is the most undeveloped and wild part of the island. The little village had the one bar. I would've been the youngest in the bar followed by Iwan and Fergal, the rest older Irish fisher types speaking mostly Gaelic.

    At one point a female walked into the bar. Was one of those record-scratch moments -- noise level dropped and the drunk Irish fellows all focused to her. Turned out she lived upstairs as the pub was essentially a house with the lower level converted to a bar. Not a 1 btw.

    Anyway, these old fellows knew the general time the local police officer made his rounds. There was only one for the area. The bar was supposed to legally close at a certain time, but they just turned the front lights out and we all just kept drinking well into the night. Theyd all go out for a smoke except round the time they knew he make is rounds of the area at which point the proprietor apparently didnt mind everyone smoking inside near the peat-burning fireplace.

    We ended up being generously given a ride back to Fergal's holiday house by the proprietor sometime in the wee hours of morning, then Fergal walked back to pick up his car in the morning.

    Good times. Very Irish experience.

    Was this guy there?

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=9wr57GJ8vcU

  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 507 Senior Member

    @Bushart said:

    @bmmike said:
    My favorite dive bar experience was on the northwest coast of Ireland in County Donegal with my friends Fergal and Iwan (who some of you may remember from the ye old forums here in its heyday).

    We 3 met in Ireland for some fishing, quite a few years back. Fergal had a family holiday house on the northwest coast in what is the most undeveloped and wild part of the island. The little village had the one bar. I would've been the youngest in the bar followed by Iwan and Fergal, the rest older Irish fisher types speaking mostly Gaelic.

    At one point a female walked into the bar. Was one of those record-scratch moments -- noise level dropped and the drunk Irish fellows all focused to her. Turned out she lived upstairs as the pub was essentially a house with the lower level converted to a bar. Not a 1 btw.

    Anyway, these old fellows knew the general time the local police officer made his rounds. There was only one for the area. The bar was supposed to legally close at a certain time, but they just turned the front lights out and we all just kept drinking well into the night. Theyd all go out for a smoke except round the time they knew he make is rounds of the area at which point the proprietor apparently didnt mind everyone smoking inside near the peat-burning fireplace.

    We ended up being generously given a ride back to Fergal's holiday house by the proprietor sometime in the wee hours of morning, then Fergal walked back to pick up his car in the morning.

    Good times. Very Irish experience.

    Was this guy there?

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=9wr57GJ8vcU

    No, but there fellows were.

    The Pride of Eireann.

  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,608 Senior Member

    Priceless---and my #2 reason for not drinking Irish Whiskey

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member
    edited December 2018 #13

    I just realized I have way too many dive bar stories to tell. Some of them were gigs.

    I guess my favorite one to hang out in had to be The Red Dog Saloon in Cloudcroft NM. The worst is a tie between the Gamecock Lounge in Tularosa and The Stop Inn in Colton, CA.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member

    @Steven said:
    I can't remember if it's Pat's or Mike's (some Irish name) in Readstown, WI. Phenomenal burgers.

    Pat's

    Agreed on Burger.

  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,488 Senior Member

    We have a large group that like to ride motorcycles together. We always look for easy parking when stop. Never fails that the worst places in the area have the best parking. Not sure why, but that's how I end up in some of the crappiest places.

  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member

    @CO Native said:
    We have a large group that like to ride motorcycles together. We always look for easy parking when stop. Never fails that the worst places in the area have the best parking. Not sure why, but that's how I end up in some of the crappiest places.

    If there are enough of you, you are the crowd anyway.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member

    When I was a student I worked part time for the MONY insurance company. Every pay day a bunch of us would go to one of the many semi-to-full dive Irish bars in mid-town Manhattan back then. The one I remember best was called the Shannon Star (Rose?). One heated discussion led to two guys agreeing to fight to the death with baseball bats, but luckily they soon were too drunk to walk, much less fight.

    Honky tonks are a sub category of dive bars, I suppose. I've been in a few scary ones down south in Texas and Alabama. You can tell how authentic a honky tonk is by the gauge of the wire cage protecting the performers from bottle throwing music critics.

    Northern wannabes like the Texas Roadhouse chain haven't a clue, they are the Disney version.

    Then again, some of the bars I was in when I was in the Army for six months at Ft. Irwin, CA, with a three week boondoggle at language school at the SEAL training base in Coronado Beach, bars in Tijuana, Berdoo and Barstow put all those others to shame. (I observed, but never ate at the Blue Fox's Chow Line, for example.)

    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member

    @George K said:
    Honky tonks are a sub category of dive bars, I suppose. I've been in a few scary ones down south in >Texas and Alabama. You can tell how authentic a honky tonk is by the gauge of the wire cage >protecting the performers from bottle throwing music critics.

    Kinda like this...

  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,714 Senior Member

    McP's in Coronado is a great bar. Not really a dive, but very fun.

  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member

    I was in language school for three or four weeks in 1966 before being shipped out to Viet Nam, just long enough to learn useful stuff like : "How much long time?" and "No seeds or stems, right?" and useless things like "How many mortars and heavy machine guns does your unit have?". We were in class six hours a day five days a week, and then Cinderella liberty every weeknight and off all weekend. It was fun watching SEAL trainees running everywhere 20hrs a day, but young and dumb as we were we knew better than to do anything than avert our eyes when a squad came running by.

    The bar of the Coronado Beach Hotel, just across the road, was as great a pick-up spot as any I ever have known, with a much better class of women than most, and no pros allowed in. One quickly learned not to ask about marital status or why they were in Coronado. Back then the hotel was as it appeared in Some Like it Hot, a classic wooden seaside hotel. The huge modern extension came years later.

    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,714 Senior Member

    Yeah, now known as the Hotel Del Coronado. They don't allow enlisted riffraf in there now.

  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member

    @sherb said:
    Yeah, now known as the Hotel Del Coronado. They don't allow enlisted riffraf in there now.

    I was a lowly PFC at the time but I guess I wowed the doorman with my boyish good looks and college boy/city slicker charm. Also, I was never dumb enough to go in uniform. :)

    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member

    @George K said:
    I was in language school for three or four weeks in 1966 before being shipped out to Viet Nam, just long enough to learn useful stuff like : "How much long time?" and "No seeds or stems, right?" and useless things like "How many mortars and heavy machine guns does your unit have?". We were in class six hours a day five days a week, and then Cinderella liberty every weeknight and off all weekend. It was fun watching SEAL trainees running everywhere 20hrs a day, but young and dumb as we were we knew better than to do anything than avert our eyes when a squad came running by.

    The bar of the Coronado Beach Hotel, just across the road, was as great a pick-up spot as any I ever have known, with a much better class of women than most, and no pros allowed in. One quickly learned not to ask about marital status or why they were in Coronado. Back then the hotel was as it appeared in Some Like it Hot, a classic wooden seaside hotel. The huge modern extension came years later.

    When were you in San Diego? My dad managed a hotel just outside of the Naval Training Center. We got a lot of Navy in that bar.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,584 Senior Member

    Speaking of dive bars in San Diego, whenever we drove towards downtown or North Island we would go past "Les Girls." As a 12 year old boy I was fascinated with what it would be like to go in there.

    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,815 Senior Member

    @fishingcomic said:

    @George K said:
    I was in language school for three or four weeks in 1966 before being shipped out to Viet Nam, just long enough to learn useful stuff like : "How much long time?" and "No seeds or stems, right?" and useless things like "How many mortars and heavy machine guns does your unit have?". We were in class six hours a day five days a week, and then Cinderella liberty every weeknight and off all weekend. It was fun watching SEAL trainees running everywhere 20hrs a day, but young and dumb as we were we knew better than to do anything than avert our eyes when a squad came running by.

    The bar of the Coronado Beach Hotel, just across the road, was as great a pick-up spot as any I ever have known, with a much better class of women than most, and no pros allowed in. One quickly learned not to ask about marital status or why they were in Coronado. Back then the hotel was as it appeared in Some Like it Hot, a classic wooden seaside hotel. The huge modern extension came years later.

    When were you in San Diego? My dad managed a hotel just outside of the Naval Training Center. We got a lot of Navy in that bar.

    In the Summer of 1966, just for three or four weeks at the language training school used by all the services, on the Navy base in Coronado, not San Diego, where SEALs were trained. I was stationed at Ft. Irwin, adjacent to Death Valley, with no official word of where we were heading after six months training there in the desert. When a few of us from my artillery battalion were sent to Coronado for basic Vietnamese training (we all scored high on the MLAT) all doubts were erased.

    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.