Home The Lodge

Something us outdoor people knew all along

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 6,255 Senior Member

Birdwatch for long-tailed ducks. Search for shells. Sketch some snowdrops.

These are some of the prescriptions you might receive if you go to a doctor in the Shetland Islands of Scotland and say that you are suffering from stress, heart disease, diabetes, mental health problems or other chronic conditions.

Starting Oct. 5, the UK's National Health Service (NHS) in Shetland has authorized doctors there to prescribe time outdoors, The Guardian reported. Doctors will pass out pamphlets written by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) advising patients on walks to take and wildlife to watch out for.

The Shetland doctors are only the latest in a growing number of healthcare providers incorporating nature into their treatment plans as evidence mounts for the health benefits of time spent in wild spaces. In his 2005 book Last Child in the Woods, Richard Louv cited 60 studies finding that time outside helped mental and physical health, and that too much time spent away from nature caused harm. Now, the website of his Children & Nature Network lists more 700, Louv told The New York Times.

https://www.ecowatch.com/natural-medicine-doctors-prescribing-outdoors-2614316041.html

Replies

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

Prescription: Obtain photograph of ivory-billed woodpecker.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,255 Senior Member

Win the Photography Pulitzer as a side effect.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,683 Senior Member

Win a Nobel - bring that woodpecker back alive and mate it with one of your pet Passenger pigeons.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,996 Senior Member

@bmmike said:
    Prescription: Obtain photograph of ivory-billed woodpecker.

Is it ok if I catch a Pileated woodpecker and paint its bill white?

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #6

Ivory-billed? ****, I’d be thrilled to find a Lewis’s Woodpecker. Been looking for one of those unsuccessfully for many years. Even though they winter here, they may as well be the Ivory-Billed. I think it is my nemesis bird.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement