Fly or Lure?

Gene TrumpGene Trump Junior MemberPosts: 14 Junior Member
This should raise some eyebrows... or not. The same folks who produce the Fish Skulls also make a product called a Flash Generator. Well, obviously, it is a blade. I suppose they expect you to use them with patterns tied with the Fish Skulls but I tried that and it is no easy task! So I tied (built?) some patterns without the Skulls and tried them for bass at the local farm pond. It was late in the season and the rains began so I only tried a few patterns once. Something broke off one of my experimental patterns when it was dropping. I believe the flutter of the blade probably induced the hit.

Retrieving gained a lot of pecks from the bluegill but no bass. I've tied some more experimental patterns with the blades and will try them next Spring.

Flies with blades are nothing new. They've been around for as long as I've been flyfishing and that is long time.

Dave Whitlock once said that when it comes to warm water species of fish, we as fly anglers don't try to match a bug but the lures the spin guys use. And when I look at the successful patterns tied for bass, they are close to representing spinning lure and poppers.

I push the envelope when it comes to fly patterns and I'm willing to experiment. Some fly anglers would consider this blasphemy.

It should be interesting next Spring when I have more time to mess around with these guys:

404433349.jpg

Replies

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.