Would You Have Taken the Meeting If You Were Running for President?

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 755 Senior Member

Contrary to the initial statement he wrote on Don Jr.'s behalf, which said Donny's meeting with the Putin connected Russian lawyer was to talk about issues related to adopting Russian kids, the President is now admitting that the meeting was about getting dirt on Hillary. According to the President, “[m]ost politicians would have gone to a meeting like the one Don jr attended in order to get info on an opponent. That’s politics!”

IMHO that is crock. Yes, a lot of things are fair game in the rough and tumble world of presidential electoral politics. But, we are talking about being open to being helped by a hostile foreign power.

And then of course there is the question of why the Russians were so interested in helping Trump. You would think the Trumpies would see that as being a black mark on their guy. But no, winning at all costs, even if it means taking help from the enemy is all that matters. Shameful!

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,156 Senior Member
    edited August 7 #2

Soneone on the campaign staff, and perhaps Donny Numb Nuts himself, must have known that taking material aid from a foreign entity is illegal, so the answer is no.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,370 Senior Member

I believe there's a difference between a meeting with domestic folks with that info vs. foreign folks. One would be a PAC, the other a foreign power.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,164 Senior Member

@George K said:
    Soneone on the campaign staff, and perhaps Donny Numb Nuts himself, must have known that taking material aid from a foreign entity is illegal, so the answer is no.

So the Steele Dossier wasn't from an foreign entity?

I think so.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/christopher-steele-the-real-foreign-influence-in-the-2016-election/

Steele, who is British, did far more than simply provide opposition research to the Democratic National Committee. He was able to make sure it reached the most influential people possible in politics, media and government to shape and influence the growing narrative of the 2016 presidential election. In other words, as a skilled professional intelligence officer, Steele ran a full-spectrum information operation against the United States. One could even call it information warfare.

@Green Mt Boy said:
    Contrary to the initial statement he wrote on Don Jr.'s behalf, which said Donny's meeting with the Putin connected Russian lawyer was to talk about issues related to adopting Russian kids, the President is now admitting that the meeting was about getting dirt on Hillary. According to the President, “[m]ost politicians would have gone to a meeting like the one Don jr attended in order to get info on an opponent. That’s politics!”

IMHO that is crock. Yes, a lot of things are fair game in the rough and tumble world of presidential electoral politics. But, we are talking about being open to being helped by a hostile foreign power.

And then of course there is the question of why the Russians were so interested in helping Trump. You would think the Trumpies would see that as being a black mark on their guy. But no, winning at all costs, even if it means taking help from the enemy is all that matters. Shameful!

Meeting with Them and paying millions for material aren't same same.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,641 Senior Member

It appears that they are running out of negative Trump articles. So what's the MSM to do?? Regurgitate it, rinse, repeat. .

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 755 Senior Member

Yes, but the President resurrected it the other day with his tweet.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,370 Senior Member

It's the fake news media's fault.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 189 Senior Member

@MikeA said:

It appears that they are running out of negative Trump articles. So what's the MSM to do?? Regurgitate it, rinse, repeat. .

OK, how about this one: "Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross accused of swindling business associates out of more than $120 million"

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,156 Senior Member

@MikeA said:

@George K said:

So the Steele Dossier wasn't from an foreign entity?

Steele was retired, hired by a Republican presidential candidate to do oppo on Trump before the Dems picked up the contract after whichever GOP hopeful it was dropped out of the race. He was in no way an operative of the British goverment. The article you linked is horsesheet, or, as the Brits would say, a load of old cod's wallop.

p.s. No one ever said that collusion is a crime. However, conspiracy is. Care to explain the difference to us?

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

It's a tired argument. Really tired. I'm too busy enjoying all the other stuff Trumps doing to spend energy worrying about <<<>>>..... I've heard the new left wing conspiracy conspiracies as of late. It's the new multi repeated thing across the lefty media outlets. Saying it over and over still doesn't make it so.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,969 Senior Member

@George K said:

I'm not so sure they would have known that any quid pro quo with a hostile foreign government is illegal. Do Don and Don Jr. strike you as particularly smart?

But even if they did think it may be illegal, I don't think they cared for two reasons. 1) The Trump families' dealings have been very, very shady for a long time. Dealing with Russian oligarchs and government officials (hint: they are all part of the same cabal) is just par for the course. They do it all the time. 2) Hubris.

Mike, Google yourself "in-kind political contribution" not a dime had to change hands. Also, this is news again, not because of the deep state MSM, but because President Trump just threw his son under the bus. Pretty big deal in my book.

What is the over/under on the eventual book covering all of this? I mean, after Mueller is finished with his investigation the dust has settled, many are jailed, etc.? Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is about 500K words. I say way under that. Ghost Wars, by Steve Coll is about 230K. I think that may be a realistic line to start the betting.

@MikeA said:
    It's a tired argument. Really tired. I'm too busy enjoying all the other stuff Trumps doing to spend energy worrying about <<<>>>..... I've heard the new left wing conspiracy conspiracies as of late. It's the new multi repeated thing across the lefty media outlets. Saying it over and over still doesn't make it so.

What part of this is a left-wing conspiracy theory? My God, Gates just admitted to committing multiple crimes with Manafort. Are all of the indictments, charges, guilty pleas a conspiracy theory? Is Cohen flipping a conspiracy theory? Is perjury? Please tell me what you think is a conspiracy theory.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,286 Senior Member

@breamfisher said:
    I believe there's a difference between a meeting with domestic folks with that info vs. foreign folks. One would be a PAC, the other a foreign power.

Not if the information was obtained illegally.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,286 Senior Member

@MikeA said:

Saying it over and over still doesn't make it so.

On this I agree, your saying over and over that the press has it in for Trump and is fake news, does not make it so.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.