This would be an interesting book... if I had time to read...

2»

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,783 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    I like how you keep railing against places with large minority populations.

We all like how you belittle accomplishments with your privilege assumptions. In this state, poor is poor. It knows no color. You drive out into the back roads here and there are people living in RV's, 1950's Trailers, Vans, shotgun shacks, houses that should be condemned. Multi generation welfare recips. I guess these folks weren’t there when the privilege cards were handed out.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member

@MikeA said:

@fishingcomic said:
    I like how you keep railing against places with large minority populations.

We all like how you belittle accomplishments with your privilege assumptions. In this state, poor is poor. It knows no color. You drive out into the back roads here and there are people living in RV's, 1950's Trailers, Vans, shotgun shacks, houses that should be condemned. Multi generation welfare recips. I guess these folks weren’t there when the privilege cards were handed out.

Sounds like SW WI. I think Steve could back me on this.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,580 Senior Member

Funny how none of those places ever come up in a conversation while you are railing against Chicago and Detroit.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Chicago and Detroit are easy targets since they are the arm pits of this country. And yes I have spent a considerable amount of time at both places.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,783 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

Funny how none of those places ever come up in a conversation while you are railing against Chicago and Detroit.

The point was that people vote against their best interest all across the political spectrum. It's not just one party.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,812 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    Chicago and Detroit are easy targets since they are the arm pits of this country. And yes I have spent a considerable amount of time at both places.

And you've never seen the nicer parts of town? What were you doing - drug and gun deals? :) :)

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,812 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #38

@NZ Indicator said:

@George K said:

@NZ Indicator said:

And you've never seen the nicer parts of town? What were you doing - drug and gun deals? :) :)

Been in the good and bad parts of both places.

Detroit...because my wifes aunt and cousins live there. Chicago for work and and being a tourist with the family at some of the museums and other attractions. Being there for work put me in some of the bad parts.

I'm not into big peopley places. That's me though. I don't care how good the restaurants and entertainment can be.

I agree with you, just yanking your chain. Although I grew up in NYC and spent almost my entire career in large cities I have not lived in one for almost a quarter century; I now live out in the country. I enjoy visiting large cities occasionally, but would never move back to one. I dislike the megaburbs even more, like the messes surrounding NY, DC and Boston. I shudder at the thought of living in or around LA.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    edited August 2018 #39

Weird. My post you quoted disappeared.

Have not been to NYC but have been to DC and Boston and agree with you.

From my location and further north, basically the northern half of WI...It's the playground for all the folks from Chicago. If they aren't here almost every weekend, they eventually end up retiring and moving here to get out of the city. My father-in-law is builder in northern WI. 95% of the properties his company builds or remodels are for Chicago area folks.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,712 Senior Member

I could live in Southern California without too many problems.

Last week my wife made the mistake (she always does this in a place she likes) of looking at real estate listings. Unless I win monopoly millionaire, I ain't moving there.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,712 Senior Member

@saltydancindave said:

@sherb said:
    I could live in Southern California without too many problems.

Last week my wife made the mistake (she always does this in a place she likes) of looking at real estate listings. Unless I win monopoly millionaire, I ain't moving there.

Did that news of a retired cop from California who fixed the Mickey D's Monopoly game get overlooked ?

I read it. It was a little too long to post here. But what a fascinating story.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member

Post it. Sounds interesting!

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member

Thanks, Sherb.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.