Just When You Think Our Political Discourse Can't Get Any Dumber... (But At Least This Is Funny)

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,959 Senior Member

A hotly contested US congressional race has turned Sasquatch ugly after one candidate accused the other of being "a devotee of Bigfoot erotica".

The row began after the Democratic candidate in Virginia tweeted an image of the beast taken from the Instagram account of her Republican rival.

"This is not what we need on Capitol Hill," Democrat Leslie Cockburn wrote with the drawing of a naked Sasquatch.

Republican Denver Riggleman denies he was writing a book about Bigfoot sex.

"My opponent Denver Riggleman, running mate of Corey Stewart, was caught on camera campaigning with a white supremacist. Now he has been exposed as a devotee of Bigfoot erotica. This is not what we need on Capitol Hill." pic.twitter.com/0eBvxFd6sG
— Leslie Cockburn (@LeslieCockburn) July 29, 2018

The image taken from Mr Riggleman's Instagram account is a black-and-white drawing of Bigfoot, with a black "censored" bar to hide his ****.

"These images are very disturbing, I think everyone should just look at them to see who this candidate is," Ms Cockburn said in an interview.

In an interview on Monday, Mr Riggleman described the image from his social media account as "a 14-year practical joke between me and my military buddies".

He told the Conservative Review that the image was a prank from friends who were joking about a book he is currently writing: The Mating Habits of Bigfoot and Why Women Want Him.

The book, he says, will be "a sort of joke anthropological study on Bigfoot believers".
Skip Twitter post 2 by @LeslieCockburn

"From my opponent Denver Riggleman’s Bigfoot erotica collection." pic.twitter.com/ELe0TWJh21
— Leslie Cockburn (@LeslieCockburn) July 29, 2018  End of Twitter post 2 by @LeslieCockburn

A second tweet from Ms Cockburn referred to the book, and superimposed Mr Riggleman's face on the cryptid's shoulders.

Mr Riggleman says he has found his rival's attacks "hilarious".

"I didn't know there was Bigfoot erotica, even with all my Bigfoot studies," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45009077

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,963 Senior Member

Reminds me of this:

_(I)n both the Ohio and Nebraska primaries, back to back, McGovern was confronted for the first time with the politics of the rabbit-punch and the groin shot, and in both states he found himself dangerously vulnerable to this kind of thing. Dirty politics confused him. He was not ready for it….

This is one of the oldest and most effective tricks in politics. Every hack in the business has used it in times of trouble, and it has even been elevated to the level of political mythology in a story about one of Lyndon Johnson’s early campaigns in Texas. The race was close and Johnson was getting worried. Finally he told his campaign manager to start a massive rumor campaign about his opponent’s life-long habit of enjoying carnal knowledge of his own barnyard sows.

“Christ, we can’t get a way calling him a pig-****,” the campaign manager protested. “Nobody’s going to believe a thing like that.”

“I know,” Johnson replied. “But let’s make the sonofabitch deny it.”_

• creekyguycreekyguy Senior Member Posts: 342 Senior Member

A reminder that if you are an ordinary person, don't go into politics.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,072 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    Reminds me of this:

_(I)n both the Ohio and Nebraska primaries, back to back, McGovern was confronted for the first time with the politics of the rabbit-punch and the groin shot, and in both states he found himself dangerously vulnerable to this kind of thing. Dirty politics confused him. He was not ready for it….

This is one of the oldest and most effective tricks in politics. Every hack in the business has used it in times of trouble, and it has even been elevated to the level of political mythology in a story about one of Lyndon Johnson’s early campaigns in Texas. The race was close and Johnson was getting worried. Finally he told his campaign manager to start a massive rumor campaign about his opponent’s life-long habit of enjoying carnal knowledge of his own barnyard sows.

“Christ, we can’t get a way calling him a pig-****,” the campaign manager protested. “Nobody’s going to believe a thing like that.”

“I know,” Johnson replied. “But let’s make the sonofabitch deny it.”_

OMG that is funny!!!!

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.