So Much for That Lie

2»

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,008 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #32

Ya, no ****.

I can't mow the grass honey. I have affluenza.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,049 Senior Member

Here are some pictures of what I described in my previous post.

gorgeous. Very jealous.

@bmmike said:
    Look at us all with our riverfront properties and large tracts of land complaining about mowing. It goes deeper than first world problems in here — it’s the problems of well off first worlders.

So true. White privilege definitely on display. Guilty as charged.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,118 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #36

@Green Mt Boy said:
    Here are some pictures of what I described in my previous post.

Looks like my views where I live. Except it's on 100s of acres of public land 15 minutes from my door step. The County and DNR do all the clearing of trails. :) :) :) B) B) B)

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,428 Senior Member

Sherb did you ever build that shop?

@Buffco said:

No. I spend all my money and time on irrigation. I WISH i lived in a place where it rained every two months.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,969 Senior Member

GMB, That is gorgeous!!! I wish the Burlington ANG base had some civilian openings for jobs. I've only been to VT twice and many years ago at that, but I really loved it.

For me, It takes me and the Mrs. 25 minutes to mow. She does the small stuff around the trees with hand trimmers (I refuse to buy a weed whacker) and I mow. I am .3 miles from the base of the mountain where they held the 2002 Olympic skiing speed events so the locale is nice. We spend way more time keeping bird feeders & water full than actual lawn maintenance.

Also, while we are on the subject, do any of you have gardens? We have several tomato plants, every herb known to man and a couple each of zucchini, eggplant and some hot pepper varieties.

We have a garden. Mainly my wife's doing, although I rototill, set up the pea fence, etc. Peas, beans, peppers, onions, carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, lettuce, gourds, cukes, spinach and kale. No corn-too hard to protect it from the coons and there is a grower/farmstand down the road a ways.

Shawn, the Burlington base is getting the F-35. There is a lot of construction going on to get ready. Maybe that will create opportunities.

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 537 Senior Member

I have a large garden that is deer fenced and has irrigation but the one thing growing in there is rhubarb and weeds. Clearing it was in my list of things to do this spring but it was pushed off until next spring.

I have 3 tomato plants and 1 Hungarian hot pepper plant growing in the flower bed.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 349 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #42

I have offered a few friends to mow their lawn once a year every spring....so I can remember why I chose to buy a Condo! Lawn party? In the quad or the parks a block away. Weekend? I'm fishing, not mowing.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,024 Senior Member

@Buffco said:
    7-8 hours to mow mine. And that's cutting it with this: 74" deck, Walker propane fueled EFI.

At 7-8 hours, that isn't a lawn. It's a pasture. You should be growing hay, not St. Augustine.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

@FishTX said:

@Buffco said:
    7-8 hours to mow mine. And that's cutting it with this: 74" deck, Walker propane fueled EFI.

At 7-8 hours, that isn't a lawn. It's a pasture. You should be growing hay, not St. Augustine.

Centipede and bahia. It's broken up by lots of flower beds, hardwood stands, fence, buildings, other landscaping..

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    There's no way that should take you that long, especially since you don't irrigate.

An hour, tops.

Exactly. I mow just under an acre, the other two are gardens and wild. Seriously, two hours? well something is wrong there. Did your wife put a governor on your mower to keep you out of her hair for longer? My dad had a 3/4 acre lot in Madison. A huge lot for Madison. Until I was sixteen I used a push mower and finished in about an hour.

I used to water but the clay soil is useless for keeping a healthy turf, I don't waste next to nothing, I even use 2X4 scrapes for art projects. I certainly will not waste water, it is becoming more precious every day. Joe has had a ton more rain than we have, not big quantities, but bigger than Zero. which is what we've had. It's raining here today, but so far it may as well have been three people spitting on the ground, or my grandson pissing in the yard (potty training).

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member

@George K said:
    We pay a local Mennonite guy to take care of our lawn using our John Deere garden tractor and other tools. I mow a pasture of about an acre that hasn't regularly seen a horse in decades except when one of our neighbors needs to borrow it, which saves me an hour's work. We have another pasture about half again as large that we let the father and son who farm across from us use to grow hay.

Plant it into a prairie, you will never regret it.

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,973 Senior Member

We like the way it looks, are overrun with deer and we already have too many ticks around.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,029 Senior Member

Well, I have a corner lot in an out-of-work milltown with a lawn that doing its very best to die because I overfertilized this spring. The local 'creek' is full of snapping turtles, and we haven't had a moose in our lawn in five years. Send me your addresses and I'll work up an itinerary for September.

Jim

@sherb said:

@Buffco said:

No. I spend all my money and time on irrigation. I WISH i lived in a place where it rained every two months.

Are you hand watering? System is put in place, right? It's time to get that shop built.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,024 Senior Member

@Wetdog said:

Plant it into a prairie, you will never regret it.

If I lived a few counties to the west, I'd plant my place in prairie. That is what used to be there before Dallas and Ft. Worth.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • deewelchdeewelch Posts: 9 Junior Member

Trumps is so misleading, he is not sure what he is saying and acts tough if the person he is talking is not in there. Poor Americans for having this kind of President, wait I'm an American I think I should migrate now. LOL!

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,535 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #52

@deewelch said:

wait I'm an American I think I should migrate now. LOL!

Just remember to take Bieber with you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.