Please forgive my economic illiteracy. . .

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 2,379 Senior Member

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,379 Senior Member

I mean, isn't that's what supposed to happen?

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,792 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    I mean, isn't that's what supposed to happen?

No, the economy is supposed to fail, then there will be happiness

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 161 Senior Member

Its good, but I worry about a bubble bursting. As a guy who has lived through numerous crashes, I see bubble evidence everywhere today. The economy has grown well more or less since that Obama guy took office, and has continued under HWSNBN. That guy may as well take credit for it, but the economy is not why I dislike him as president. Not yet, anyway.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,734 Senior Member

@creekyguy said:
    Its good, but I worry about a bubble bursting. As a guy who has lived through numerous crashes, I see bubble evidence everywhere today. The economy has grown well more or less since that Obama guy took office, and has continued under HWSNBN. That guy may as well take credit for it, but the economy is not why I dislike him as president. Not yet, anyway.

Yeah, I'm starting to get fearful of another bubble burst. Not so much in the housing market because we like our place and don't plan on moving for a long while. So selfishly I will have time to recover equity. I'm really worried about my TSP (for you silly civilian types that is the military & DoD employee 401k). I'm not looking forward to my stock/mutual fund $$$ going down the shiiter only 16 years from retirement age. But I figure it will take the big banks a few more years to find a way to creatively destroy the economy again.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,954 Senior Member

Sixteen years is enough time for it to recover. :)

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,414 Senior Member

The answer is, it depends.

I knew you were gonna say that.

I used to say that in my legal classes at the community college. It became kind of a joke with the kids. "no, wait, don't tell me. . . is the answer, it depends?"

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,414 Senior Member

The metaphor is a strong economy is like a spiked punch bowl.

Fun to have, but at some point an adult has to take it away. The problem is the adult (the Fed) might take it away too late and everybody is left with a puking hangover.

@Steven said:

Fun to have, but at some point an adult has to take it away. The problem is the adult (the Fed) might take it away too late and everybody is left with a puking hangover.

I like this. Very user-friendly metaphor.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,954 Senior Member

@Steven said:

Good one.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,047 Senior Member

@Steven said:

A metaphor that we can all understand - haha.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,912 Senior Member

Not me, I'm Mormon.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,792 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Not me, I'm Mormon.

Shawn stole your login? What a jerk

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,912 Senior Member

I just turned FLDS, I'm gonna get me a couple of those "Little House on the Prairie" babes.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file