Justice Kennedy retiring.

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,230 Senior Member
    edited June 28 #32

Yea well dancing in the end zone can lead to you getting your clock cleaned next time you're on the field.

I'd rather see this as a way to bring back some normalcy.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 778 Senior Member

A friend of mine just got this email from AirBnB:

The US Supreme Court decided to uphold the travel ban. We are profoundly disappointed by the Court's decision. The travel ban is a policy that goes against our mission and values — to restrict travel based on a person's nationality or religion is wrong.

And while this news is a setback, we will continue the fight with organizations that are helping those impacted. Airbnb will be matching donations to the International Refugee Assistance Project (IRAP) up to a total of $150,000 through September 30, 2018 to support their work advocating for systemic change and legal pathways for those affected by the travel ban. If you’d like to join us, you can donate here.

We believe that travel is a transformative and powerful experience and that building bridges between cultures and communities creates a more innovative, collaborative and inspired world. At Airbnb, we are so grateful to our community who will continue to open doors around the world so that together, we can travel forward.

Brian Chesky, Joe Gebbia and Nathan Blecharczyk
    Sent with ♥ from
    Airbnb, Inc.
    888 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
    View in browser | Unsubscribe

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,235 Senior Member

Just what is a "knod"? Is that like a secret handshake, or a funny hat or something?

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,906 Senior Member

@saltydancindave said:

@jbilly said:

@Shawn C. said:
    Thanks, guys!

And of course the religious argument holds no water for either of us.

Well now if that isn't fake news what is :smiley:

Of course with SCOTUS losing Kennedy to retirement might not be as easy for the Catholic Church to lynch the masses for killing JFK to continue it's pedophilia slave trade.

What about Ole Joe Smith?

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,869 Senior Member
    edited June 28 #36

@MikeA said:
    Yea well dancing in the end zone can lead to you getting your clock cleaned next time you're on the field.

I'd rather see this as a way to bring back some normalcy.

I've been watching throughout the day with increasing dismay both the anguish and the celebration.

Quite frankly, a healthy polity would not worry so much about the retirement of an 82 year old man. This isn't (or rather it shouldn't be) a sign of the apocalypse. Its a worrying sign that the institution has too much power, much more power than the framers could have envisioned. As to the cause of this, well, that can be debated. But its clear that a retirement should not engender all of this "the survival of the republic is at stake" hysteria.

• joyescapejoyescape Posts: 13 Junior Member

It seems like a human puppet is about to take that role if Trump will be the one to choose who will replace Kennedy.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,472 Senior Member

@sherb said:

@Buffco said:
    Hahahahahahaha.

Poor libs.

They feel today like I felt when Scalia died.

McConnell gambled and it paid off huge. Huge.

I like how you think this is a game. What he did was unconscionable and if they pulled the same crap on W, there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 778 Senior Member

@Steven said:

@Green Mt Boy said:

@Steven said:
    We don't have any WASP Harvard or Yale grads.

Evidence of how far the country has deteoriated.

Here's evidence how far the country has deteriorated.

Yeah, that was a BS thing I said.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,869 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

@sherb said:

@Buffco said:
    Hahahahahahaha.

Poor libs.

They feel today like I felt when Scalia died.

McConnell gambled and it paid off huge. Huge.

I like how you think this is a game. What he did was unconscionable and if they pulled the same crap on W, there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I certainly do not think this is a game. I do think the reaction to an elderly man retiring has been, shall we say, overwrought.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,724 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    Thanks, guys!

Yeah, the problem with Roe is the hypocrisy of the right. Small government & less regulation for all things except the uterus.

What's missed here is that you can be pro-choice, pro-small government but anti-Roe. If abortion were left to the states (small government), I could exercise my pro-choice sentiments at the ballot box.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,718 Senior Member
    edited June 28 #42

@Shawn C. said:

but I still fear going broke from medical debt when I'm old. Do conservatives just figure they will pull their boot straps up when that happens?
    >
    >

Statistically...#1 is the best way to avoid medical debt when old. That monthly gym membership is pretty cheap compared to hospital and drug costs.

https://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/medicare/articles/2018-03-21/9-ways-to-reduce-health-care-costs-in-retirement

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,235 Senior Member
    edited June 28 #43

@Steven said:

@Shawn C. said:
    Thanks, guys!

Yeah, the problem with Roe is the hypocrisy of the right. Small government & less regulation for all things except the uterus.

What's missed here is that you can be pro-choice, pro-small government but anti-Roe. If abortion were left to the states (small government), I could exercise my pro-choice sentiments at the ballot box.

Government intrusion into our personal lives is big government whether it comes from the Federal Government, the State Government, Municipal Government or the local dog catcher,

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@fishingcomic said:

Government intrusion into our personal lives is big government...

This is according to which noted expert?

His name is Common Sense,

Nah. It's just some definition you made up so you can argue.

No matter the source, the effect is the same, the denial of a right.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,934 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

Government intrusion into our personal lives is big government whether it comes from the Federal Government, the State Government, Municipal Government or the local dog catcher,

I think there are distinctions that can be made.

Okay make them. How is it different when a state denies your freedom as opposed to the Federal Government?

You can't make a distinction based on the definition you created.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,050 Senior Member

@Steven said:

Fair enough. Let's forget about the past 1/2 dozen posts. If a state, say UT or IA were to deny a woman the ability to terminate a pregnancy, is that ok with you?

It seems that conservatives always talk about how they want the smallest government possible, but where does that end? What is the goal? I don't think there is a Goldilocks zone.

I’d be ok w it. The constitution doesn’t say crap about abortion, thus it’s a states right issue.

I’m pro choice. It’s not what I’d choose. But I don’t believe the feds have one but I’d say in it.

I’d be ok w it. The constitution doesn’t say crap about abortion, thus it’s a states right issue.

I’m pro choice. It’s not what I’d choose. But I don’t believe the feds have one but I’d say in it.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,050 Senior Member

Jim, I also don't think the states should have any say in it either so why would it be a states rights issue at all?

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,816 Senior Member

@jbilly said:
    My long term health care plan ins a bottle of bourbon, the forest and a -10 degree night. Problem solved.

That's my retirement plan, but I'll substitute Trappist ale. Might as well enjoy my last drink.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    edited June 29 #57

@jbilly said:

How is it a states right's issue and not a personal rights issue? It is none of anybody else's business what is decided between a woman and her doctor. I don't want any government, state or federal getting that involved on our personal lives.

@Shawn C. said:

@Steven said:

Fair enough. Let's forget about the past 1/2 dozen posts. If a state, say UT or IA were to deny a woman the ability to terminate a pregnancy, is that ok with you?

I wouldn't like it, I wouldn't vote for it but I'd be OK with it.

Powers not granted to the Federal Government are left to the States.

Iowa just recently passed the most restrictive abortion laws in the country.

@fishingcomic said:
    How is it a states right's issue and not a personal rights issue? It is none of anybody else's business what is decided between a woman and her doctor. I don't want any government, state or federal getting that involved on our personal lives.

Your personal rights are not unlimited.

By the way, is this really a decision made by a woman and her doctor? Is this the same as being diagnosed with lymphoma and planning out treatment protocols?

@Shawn C. said:
    Jim, I also don't think the states should have any say in it either so why would it be a states rights issue at all?

Because of 10th amendment. Its not a federal government power. But too your point I also don''t think it is necessarily up to state, my 2 cents is it just most certainly doens't belong to the feds. I'd also be ok with it if up to states because with 50 states there are going to e some that allow and some that don't. Thus it wouldn't truly be banned or accepted., .

@fishingcomic said:

@jbilly said:

Actually I agree with you on this. I am torn between it being a purely personal issue versus a states right issue. my point is it shouldn't be federal at all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.