Jeeps

2»

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,954 Senior Member

Use it well.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,930 Senior Member

Got the Rubicon for resale more than off road. I don't abuse my vehicles like that. I'd buy a 4 wheeler if I wanted to do crazy off road stuff. That said if I ever do need to do it. I can. :) The plan is to keep the miles off and keep it new and stock. So far I love it. Has more creature comforts than my previous pickup. Can't help but wish I had my good ole Lab to ride with me now... He'd love it!

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,047 Senior Member

Very nice!!! Buy a $200 trailer and you'll never miss the truck.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,796 Senior Member

I'm on my 6th Jeep since 1988, for whatever that's worth. Current one is a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. They just keep getting better and better.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

@Goldenladle said:
    I'm on my 6th Jeep since 1988, for whatever that's worth. Current one is a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. They just keep getting better and better.

It has alot more creature comforts than my pickup and it just feels American engineered where the other felt engineered to look good on the lot and not long term. My insurance dropped $400 a year which really surprised me.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,734 Senior Member

@CO Native said:

Very nice!!! Buy a $200 trailer and you'll never miss the truck.

That's what we did. Look, I'd love to own a truck but I'm not made of $$$ so I don't want to spend $65K on one as I would be forced to use it as my daily driver. I don't want that because they are horrid in snow and the mileage isn't so great. If I won the lottery I would buy one.

Had a bit of time to kill before work so I stopped by the Audi/VW dealership to check out an Audi Allroad. I was totally ignored! Even went into the showroom after looking at two on the lot. Nothing. Not even eye contact!

PS I'm white

I bet they noticed that you didn't have any collar stays and figured you were just there to take out the trash.

@MikeA said:
    I bet they noticed that you didn't have any collar stays and figured you were just there to take out the trash.

Shut it down. We're done here!

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,378 Senior Member

@MikeA said:

I have tried to help you people but I have failed.

@sherb said:

@MikeA said:

I have tried to help you people but I have failed.

Look, man... You are never going to be a judge with cardboard cutout collar stays. ;)

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,792 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    If you want something that lasts without troubling you with mechanical problems and has great resale value you buy a Toyota. So if you are looking at buying a Jeep style vehicle then the 4runner would be what you want. The 4runner is the last of the midsize SUVs left with body on frame construction (like a truck) the rest have went to unibody construction.

This x 100. I bought my 4runer used after my wife threatened to kill me since my Tacoma was not the best choice for 2 kids who at the time were in car seats.

Im super happy with it. I got rear ended about 3 years ago in it. The back looks like hell but I can still open it. Holds an alignment just fine so I figure I will drive it till the heels fall off.

When I have to get a new one...Toyota no questions.

• swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,550 Senior Member
    edited June 14 #43

Bought a Sahara new in '01 and still loving it. Now lifted, winch, and lots of aftermarket goodies. Everything is solid. Threw a new long block in last spring so I expect it to last the rest of my life. If not, I'll throw another engine in... so easy to work on and the parts world is competitive with about anything you can think of. I like to build so it's the perfect vehicle for me. Amazing capabilities offroad even if you leave it stock.
    Also loving my $500 1988 Yota V6 pickup project. So far... lifted, larger BFG KO2 tires and new wheels, front lockers, some gauges... it's a little beast. I'm impressed with what it can do for how old it is. Planning to tear off the bed, shorten the frame and make it a flatbed. Need to get winch bumper and winch for it also. Probably an engine rebuild at some point. The fun never ends, and for me it's actually FUN!

All of your Trout are belong to me.

@swizz said:
    Bought a Sahara new in '01 and still loving it. Now lifted, winch, and lots of aftermarket goodies. Everything is solid. Threw a new long block in last spring so I expect it to last the rest of my life. If not, I'll throw another engine in... so easy to work on and the parts world is competitive with about anything you can think of. I like to build so it's the perfect vehicle for me. Amazing capabilities offroad even if you leave it stock.

Sounds like the classic Land Rover. The reason they were so popular in Africa and other remote locations is that they were very basic and oh so easy to work on.

edited June 14 #45

There is something to be said for American engineering. But that seems to stop at trucks and suvs. Our Cars were a nightmare.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,379 Senior Member
    edited June 14 #46

Based on what I have seen on relatives, friends and co-workers american trucks...I think the trucks are just as bad as the cars. Sitting at 225,000+ on my 2004 Nissan right now with only work on it being brakes, exhaust pipe and tire changes.

Meanwhile all of the aforementioned people above I'm seeing them replace transmissions, head gaskets, all the front end parts and spending money on other high dollar repairs on vehicles with less than 100,000 miles. My brother in law just got done replacing the transmission on his 2008 Chevy with 135,000 miles for the amazing low cost of $3000. Another friend was recently ready to set his 2012 Chevy Equinox on fire becuase it was in the shop almost every month. He got rid of it and traded it for a 2016 Jeep Cherokee...not sure that's an upgrade.

Really haven't seen anything convincing from the domestic brands that makes me thing they are reliable.

Good luck with your Jeep. I hope it treats you well.

I've got two trucks and the wife drives an Audi Q5 TDI. My Dodge is used for pulling the 5th wheel ONLY and is WAY too heavy to drive daily. I see a lot of rednecks driving them and I wonder where they get their money. Big trucks are Big bucks!!! Heck, it uses 3 gallons of oil for an oil change. Not to mention the chiropractor bills to straighten your spine after riding in that all day.

My daily driver is a '15 GMC canyon that I bought used (15K miles). I love that little thing. It's got enough room for 4 adults to be comfortable and yet I can take it fishing and hunting and not worry about getting the back dirty (like I did with my blazer). I only wish it was diesel, but they were super hard to find and not in my price range, but the mileage is still good on it.

I don't get the redneck big truck thing either. Who's got $65,000 to spend on a big truck let alone all the mods they do to them. I really love the giant tail pipes coming through the beds :\

Where American engineering takes the prize IMO is in creature comforts, user friendlyness, styling, and the ability to work on them at a later date. Granted much of that has been lost over the years. Sacrificed for faster more efficient production numbers. To make the perfect American Truck you would need a Ford Front end, Chevy 5.6, GMC ****, Ford interior, Chevy exterior. Or you could just buy a Nissan. :)

Jeep Wrangler has a different feel than any I've owned. Utilitarian with a touch of class. Crawling under it and inside it feels very well thought out. The leather is nicer, the plastic interior parts feel thicker, more solid. It sorta feels like a classic car with modern features. You actually want to drive it. I honestly can't say that about my last Pickup.

Hey now...my 14 year old truck is just getting broke in at 225,000 miles!! It's user friendly and has plenty of creature comforts. And the A/C still works! I'm planning on pushing until it dies. Not worth much these days anyway and it beats having a car payment. Replacement would cost me over $40k new.

It's going to make the trip from WI to Colorado this year. Only 2 things concern me taking it out to Colorado...the starter and the alternator...they are still the original from when I bought the truck new.

Here you go, Nissan reliability and Mercedes luxury; but not sold here.

Too much luxury for a truck. It's a dud. Same reason the Lincoln Blackwood and Cadillac Escalade EXT died.

@NZ Indicator said:
    Too much luxury for a truck. It's a dud. Same reason the Lincoln Blackwood and Cadillac Escalade EXT died.

You've got be kidding me!!!! Have you ever ridden in a Ford King Ranch? They make that benz look like a toyota corolla. All of the top of the line trucks (real trucks as in 3/4 and 1 ton with diesels) are very cushy and loaded with goodies.
    It wasn't luxury that killed those vehicles, it was the fact that when someone is going to to buy a truck, they don't think Caddy or Lincoln, they think Dodge, Ford , Chevy or GMC.

I have ridden in 3/4" and 1 ton diesel trucks. Stiff riding son's of ****!!!

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,378 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    I have ridden in 3/4" and 1 ton diesel trucks. Stiff riding son's of ****!!!

yeah. . . its a truck. that's how its SUPPOSED to ride.

The Jeep rides like a tank and has a man pedal.

@sherb said:
    yeah. . . its a truck. that's how its SUPPOSED to ride.

Hang 13K lbs of 5th wheel on the back of mine and it rides niiiiiiice.

2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file