Summer Fishing Vacations?

Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior MemberPosts: 5,601 Senior Member

Anybody? I will once again return to northern Idaho for 10 days of camping and Westslope Cutthroat with my wife and loyal dog. I also wouldn’t mind dragging Comic out for a weekend to the Green below Flaming Gorge or the Unita Mountains. Anybody else planning an adventure?

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,273 Senior Member

Back to Colorado for me in August...

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member

Not venturing too far this year---will do local trips
    Our son is getting married this summer so that's keeping everyone busy

Last year we found some nice largie fishin on a local river---think I'll take some time and scout that out further

I am envious of you guys that's beautiful country your headin to

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 92 Member
    edited June 8 #4

Do you guys remember Lando and Westcamp? He is still doing that all these years later, only he calls it the Luau now. I will head over to Cody for that again in July.

Other than that, a bit of fishing in Glacier when some family comes to visit, and a weekend in Idaho with Sheb, I’ll just spend most of my summer hiking and fishing in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,162 Senior Member

What’s the dates on the luau?

edited June 8 #6

3rd weekend July as ever. I think he has the group campground arranged July 18-22 or 23. I’ll get there Thursday night and stay thru Sunday. You should come if you are able!

What’s the dates on the luau?

@bmmike said:
    3rd weekend July as ever. I think he has the group campground arranged July 18-22 or 23. I’ll get there Thursday night and stay thru Sunday. You should come if you are able!

gah. I'll be in California. Bummer.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 679 Senior Member
    edited June 8 #8

I am going to be heading out your way, Shawn, in early September. A good friend from UMaine days and I are spending four nights in Dutch John and we have booked a float trip on the Green below Flaming Gorge. Will probably wade fish along the same stretch once we get a sense of the river from the float trip. May also hit the Provo or a river in SW WY. We are then heading to the Cora, WY area for a week to fish the upper Green and other nearby waters like the New Fork.

In the meantime I have been fishing locally with some success, and last week I spent a week in the North Maine Woods fishing with the aforesaid friend. Some pics from that outing:

For some recent I can't rotate the second picture so everyone will have to bend their head.

Edited to add a pic of a wild VT Brown from last year:

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,785 Senior Member

Now that my little river is back to being somewhat little, and business is booming my summer will be spent exploring this river and working my **** off.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member

Nice pics guys

Beauty brown GMB---ya gotta love em

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,709 Senior Member

@Goldenladle said:
    Now that my little river is back to being somewhat little, and business is booming my summer will be spent exploring this river and working my **** off.

That is sweet!!!!

WF bitterroot?

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,809 Senior Member

You guys are making me jealous. I've developed rotator cuff inflammations in both shoulders. The docs say it's another unintended consequence of knee replacement surgery because of the additional strain of rehab. My fishing is limited to short casts with a four wt. or lighter, so I'm having fun with tiny brookies in forest creeks and with sunnies and bluegills in lakes and ponds. I hope to recover in time to hit Erie tribs for the October steelhead run.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,709 Senior Member

@George K said:
    You guys are making me jealous. I've developed rotator cuff inflammations in both shoulders. The docs say it's another unintended consequence of knee replacement surgery because of the additional strain of rehab.

I'm no doctor but.......

lmao

edited June 8 #16

You won't be laughing when it's your turn. :)

The explanation is quite simple. With the muscles in one leg weak and relearning how to work, the other side of your body has to work harder, and the arms and shoulders do a lot more work, both in PT/rehab and during ordinary activities. After the surgery it was several weeks before I could rise from deep chairs using just my legs; I had to push up with my arms.

Ask your rheumatologist if you have one.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,601 Senior Member

Great pics, guys!
    I would like to check out Cody sometime but I understand you have to have a hard-sided contraption up there. We are still tent camping.

Joe,
    Where is that in CO, if you don't mind saying. Beautiful!

As far as Northern ID, we will hit either the St. Joe River or the Kelly Creek area.

You dont need hard sides around the reservoir in Cody where we camp, but you do in the more wilderness-y campsites. Its ok -- there is some decent fishing around but its not really my favorite (notellum is nice, tho).

I want to go up to Kelly Creek when I visit Sheb. I know he likes tight lining cutties with his euro rig. Either there, or Micah's spot to fish some bull trout and cutties.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,785 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    WF bitterroot?

EF

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

The two times I've been in Cody I got lost in the Buffalo Bill museums and never did get to fish. They are worth it.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,601 Senior Member

@bmmike said:

I want to go up to Kelly Creek when I visit Sheb. I know he likes tight lining cutties with his euro rig. Either there, or Micah's spot to fish some bull trout and cutties.

Yeah, really nice up there. Even better than Kelly Creek was the N. Fork of the Clearwater above the confluence w/ Kelly. There is also another great stream in the area that I shouldn't mention here but I'm pretty sure Sherb knows what I'm talking about it so he can fill you in. I also just love. love, love the St. Joe.

Thanks for the Cody camping info.

@bmmike said:
    You dont need hard sides around the reservoir in Cody where we camp, but you do in the more wilderness-y campsites. Its ok -- there is some decent fishing around but its not really my favorite (notellum is nice, tho).

Micah's spot is hard to get to from Montana. It would take hours.

Kelly creek is doable for you though.

edited June 10 #23

I agree, salt water fish taste better. And then there are all those other tasty things from salt and brackish water like crabs, clams, oysters, mussels, abalone, squid, and octopus. I also like sea urchins, shad roe and eel, especially smoked. I even like the much abused sea slugs.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,273 Senior Member
    edited June 10 #24

@Shawn C. said:

Joe,
    Where is that in CO, if you don't mind saying. Beautiful!

North Platte River. This year will mark trip #3 there. I like to return to areas I fish 4-6 times before moving to another river for a trip. Last year we really dialed that place in. Needed a total of 3 flies the whole week. Tricos in the morning, PMD duns in the afternoon and PMD spinners at dusk.

This year we are going to spend 2 days camping on it before moving to a motel for the next 4 days.

Message me if you want further details. Especially if you want to learn about my fish levitating skills...

@sherb said:

@bmmike said:

Micah's spot is hard to get to from Montana. It would take hours.

Kelly creek is doable for you though.

We are going to be embarking from your house, tho, not mine, remember?

Why do I have the feeling I’m going to show up and you aren’t going to be home...

• saltydancindavesaltydancindave Senior Member Posts: 2,357 Senior Member

With any luck of getting a mini-vacation from an apprenticeship in home health care, might find some time to walk across the street for freshwater bass & crappie fly casting since haven't done that in quite a while when a fishing buddy waiting on a lung transplant who hadn't fished in a few years with his better halfs threat that he better come back got a 3-4lb bass on video after missing the first strike

@bmmike said:

Why do I have the feeling I’m going to show up and you aren’t going to be home...

You could always find your way down to the boat launch ramp and have a few beers with Hextal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file