BBQ Safety Reminder

BushartBushart Senior MemberPosts: 1,793 Senior Member

More and more we were learning of serious health consequences associated with wire BBQ brushes

There's a lot of documented cases of wires becoming dis-lodged from the brush---entering your food--then your body and wreaking havoc---some life threatening

Punctured bowels--stuck in throat etc

So a local guy was making these---I looked at it and made my own out of western red cedar (would'nt use Pressure treated :) )

Works great and is peace of mind---1st time you heat your Q and burn your grate pattern into it

I see a US Co. selling them--I'll post the link so you can see what it looks like---I like mine

https://thegrommet.com/the-great-scrape-barbeque-cleaning-tool

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,601 Senior Member

I had never heard of the problems with the wire brushes. So, how thick of a piece of cedar did you use?

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member

Lots of these stories Shawn-----The Wal-Mart--Costco Brushes are made in China--as others(some times I think they're tryin to bump us off)
    This is why the Wisconsin Co is in Biz at all

My cedar is 3/4 thick

Here's just one link

https://consumerreports.org/food-safety/wire-grill-brush-danger/

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,285 Senior Member

My understanding is that it's the plastic paddles with the stuck-in bristles are the problem. The ones with the bristles in a heavy wire braid may be less problematic. Or, just use wadded aluminum foil.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,709 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    I had never heard of the problems with the wire brushes. So, how thick of a piece of cedar did you use?

First Ive heard of this too. Thanks China

I'm serious here---if I can save one person here some grief--it's good

I tried tin foil--but unless it's heavy guage---mine tore apart

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,285 Senior Member

Heavy gauge is good. I also found that getting the grill HOT before cleaning helps.

And it's because of this that I went to the woven grill brush and inspect it every time I grill or barbecue. I've heard of the bristle problem.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 996 Senior Member

I have a really good brush (not a walmart special), but after hearing about a kid that almost died from it last year, I started using compressed air to blow mine off good after cleaning it and doing pretty thorough visual check.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,804 Senior Member

I found this out the hard way when one pierced the roof of my mouth a few years back. I still use them but I buy good ones and I throw them away every spring and replace with a new one. I bought a Webber with SS crates so they clean with a lot less pressure. I also make an effort to always wipe the grates off with paper towels after using a brush.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,704 Senior Member

How do you not see them on the grill?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,162 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    How do you not see them on the grill?

Had the same question.

Well, the metal pieces/shards aren't that big, right? I mean, if I'm drinking a beer or three while grilling, I'm not pulling out the electron microscope, you know?

Fair point.

That’s why I never drink whilst grilling😎

Happens enough--think they can stay hid to a lot of people

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,273 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    Fair point.

That’s why I never drink whilst grilling😎

LIAR!!!!

Whaaa. . . Come now, Gary. >:)

If you had said "I never drink anything but Kings while grilling", now that I would believe.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,809 Senior Member

This is the woven type posters have mentioned. I use it, along with a stiff nylon one designed for the "Grill Grates" I use on top of the regular Weber grates.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

On Bushart’s advice I am the proud new owner of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-CC4120-Safe-Scrape-Non-Bristle/dp/B01M5GVQJ3

It is approximately the size of a canoe oar and seems to work really well!

Peace of Mind Shawn---I like mine as well

Nobody should play where's Waldo with steel wires in their food
    Congrats

@Shawn C. said:
    On Bushart’s advice I am the proud new owner of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-CC4120-Safe-Scrape-Non-Bristle/dp/B01M5GVQJ3

It is approximately the size of a canoe oar and seems to work really well!

Now you'll end up choking on a wood sliver.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,809 Senior Member

I cannot recommenced Grill Grates too highly. A spiral steel brush and their stiff nylon brush work fine. Mine are still gong strong after many years of year-round use.

https://www.grillgrate.com/

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

@George K said:
    I cannot recommenced Grill Grates too highly. A spiral steel brush and their stiff nylon brush work fine. Mine are still gong strong after many years of year-round use.

Interesting concept, turn your grill into a flat top. Would be great for fish, that's for sure.

@George K said:

A coworker of mine bought the same thing last year. He has high praise for them as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file