Jeeps

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 2,820 Senior Member

I'm tired of losing money on Trucks. They cost a fortune and depreciate like mad. So I started thinking about what I could buy that doesn't depreciate as badly. Jeeps came to mind and wow are they impressive at holding resale. I have a daily driver car and my wife works from home so the 4x4 just sits and gets maybe 4000 miles a year. I keep my vehicles in great shape. Like new if I can. If I buy a used say,, Rubicon and keep it looking and driving new, keep the miles off it, it should be a better investment than say a run of the mill pickup truck. Right? I mean it seems like Jeeps start to go up in value where Trucks rarely do, unless they are antiques.

Would love to hear some input from any jeep owners? Concerns, what to watch out for etc. I’m looking at 2014 model wranglers and unlimited wranglers. Rubicon or Sahara??

Replies

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 101 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #2

The trade off is they ride terribly. So stiff and uncomfortable.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,181 Senior Member

The short wheelbase makes for a stiff ride. And I like to load a lot of stuff in my bed.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,288 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #4

If you want something that lasts without troubling you with mechanical problems and has great resale value you buy a Toyota. So if you are looking at buying a Jeep style vehicle then the 4runner would be what you want. The 4runner is the last of the midsize SUVs left with body on frame construction (like a truck) the rest have went to unibody construction.

The Jeeps are notorious for bad transmission problems...google it. I would run as far away as possible from a Jeep.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,820 Senior Member

I'm looking at the unlimited (4 door) so maybe some better?. This isn't a daily driver. I drive it on the weekends but yea I can see the comfort trade off...

@sherb said:
    The short wheelbase makes for a stiff ride. And I like to load a lot of stuff in my bed.

I would have to buy a trailer but about all I haul anymore is garbage..

edited June 6 #7

@NZ Indicator said:
    If you want something that lasts without troubling you with mechanical problems and has great resale value you buy a Toyota. So if you are looking at buying a Jeep style vehicle then the 4runner would be what you want. The 4runner is the last SUV left with body on frame construction (like a truck) the rest have went to unibody construction.

The Jeeps are notorious for bad transmission problems...google it. I would run as far away as possible from a Jeep.

Thanks that's the kind of info on Jeeps I'm looking for.

edited June 6 #8

I need to correct myself in saying that I think they still build the Wrangler/Rubicon on a frame. The rest of the Jeep line...Cherokee, Grand Cherokee etc. is unibody.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member

I researched a lot before buying my daily driver (I work from home, so it's my weekend driver). I wanted the Unlimited in the worst way. They are easy to see out of, easy (and fun) to drive and are tremendous off road vehicles. The ride, when considering what your getting is actually pretty good, the gas mileage, not so much.
    The problem I had with them was that to get a 2 year old one decked out the way I wanted it, I could buy a brand new pickup.
    If I was 15 years younger, I would have gotten the Jeep, but at my age, I'm not going to be 4 wheeling in that rough of country, so I got a used GMC Canyon.
    I drove a lot of vehicles and I WANTED the Jeep, but the little truck fits my NEEDS better. I made the right choice for me, it's a great vehicle.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,829 Senior Member

Chrysler's reliability problems did not get any better when it was bought by Fiat (AKA Fix It Again Today).

I second the Toyota motion - 4runner, or a Land Cruiser if the budget stretches that far.

Having owned all three brands I speak from both happy and sad experience.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    edited June 6 #11

One big downer so far is the towing cap. It's around 3500 pounds which rules out ever buying another RV.

The one I drove yesterday was a 2014 Rubicon unlimited with 6 speed manual. I think that **** should be ok? LOL T r a n n y is a bad word?
    I've owned trucks all my life. I wan't something different for some reason. Mainly financial. I want to pay for something that isn't going to bottom out like a rock...
    https://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45fkgd/1-jeep-wrangler/#3664ad799f66

Mike, the Jeeps hold their value, that's for sure.

George: It's "Fix It Again Tony".

And personally, I'd never drive a toyota or a honda or nissan or any other car made by short people.
    I like some of the European vehicles, but still prefer American. You can argue all you want, but you won't change my mind and I won't change yours, so we'll leave it at that.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,285 Senior Member

Wranglers are everywhere here.

edited June 6 #14

'George: It's "Fix It Again Tony".'

Those were the better ones, mine, a 124 coupe, was more like "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow". :) It was a lot of fun to drive though, as are the new 500 turbos. And, the new ones are slightly more reliable.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member

I'm gonna 3rd Toyota on holding their value

CO---they also make Toyotas in Canada---some taller folks here

I was in same boat--drove trucks forever---my 2010 ford supercrew at the last gas hike was costing me $175 to fill from empty

So I analyzed my needs---4 wheel drive---enough towing to pull my boat---buy a utility trailer for hauling stuff

Bought a 2013 Ford Escape---also 3500 lb capacity for my boat----4wd for launching
    2 litre is night and day from my truck on mpg

It has some quality issues and less clearance of course than a truck---but overall---it's been ok

@Bushart said:

They may be assembled there, but they are designed by some 5' 2" dude that is thinking "Stupid Yankee dog going to have to squeeze in".

@Bushart said:

Bought a 2013 Ford Escape---also 3500 lb capacity for my boat----4wd for launching

It has some quality issues and less clearance of course than a truck---but overall---it's been ok

I have a 2007 with 85,000 miles on it. Never had a real problem with it, and it was the perfect SUV for the city.

If the new ones still had the same look as mine, I'd get a new one. I really don't like what they've morphed into, though.

Sorry but the toyotas just don't do it for me. The 4 runner looks like a grocery getter soccer mom car and the fj is nice but a little too hipster for me.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,181 Senior Member

bmmike has an FJ. We cruised all around Quebec in it. If I were in the market for that type of vehicle, that's what I would get.

@Steven said:

@Bushart said:

I have a 2007 with 85,000 miles on it. Never had a real problem with it, and it was the perfect SUV for the city.

If the new ones still had the same look as mine, I'd get a new one. I really don't like what they've morphed into, though.

Many took the design
    I have trouble finding significant differences from the suv class from mine and mazda/hyundai/toyota etc
    seems like they all jumped in

And as of today with gas at $1.33/litre---I'm still liking my decision

Yeah. Not a fan of the look of most of the SUV's out there. The Escape looks like a somewhat muscular station wagon. The Explorer looks like a mini van.

I believe Ford makes the Flex in Canada
    But man I hate the looks of it

Looks like a Chevy Chase Vacation vehicle

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 101 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #23

My FJ is great. It has 125k on it and I hope to get another out of it. One of the nicer features of the FJ is that I can hose it out — there are drains in there and everything is water safe, tho there are a couple places the water can pull that need mopped out after a hosing. Speaking of, I need to do that as it’s pretty bird-y in there at the moment.

If I don’t end up with a truck — which I do probably need — as my next vehicle then I’ll probably buy a Subaru. They are reliable, get much better MPG than my FJ or a pickup, are spacious enough for much of what I need, the AWD is as good or better then my 4WD is most (but not all) of the conditions I might need it, and they have pretty good clearance to go most places I need a vehicle to go. I know they have that Subaru reputation of lesbos and soccer moms and they arent the most manly-looking vehicle, but I’m not much of the form-over-function sort.

Leaving aside your need to have a "manly looking vehicle" (not that there's anything wrong with that :) ), my late wife drove a Subaru Legacy sedan. It was a nice car, but with the same flaws - for me - that made me reject each generation Outback that I have shopped when looking for a new wagon or crossover.

I find the seats in Subies uncomfortable on long trips, and they all seem short on driver and front passenger legroom. This may be a personal thing, but my present wife is quite tall for a woman and could not get comfortable in the 2006, 2013 and 2017 Outbacks I cross shopped. She was fine in my VW Passat, SAAB 9/5, leased Lexus RX350 and current Volvo XC60. The two Swedes have exceptionally comfortable seats, equaled only by a Renault 15 coupe and Peugeot 504, and 604 wagons that I have owned or rented. Sadly neither brand is available here anymore.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,616 Senior Member

@CO Native said:

@Bushart said:

They may be assembled there, but they are designed by some 5' 2" dude that is thinking "Stupid Yankee dog going to have to squeeze in".

I believe the correct terminology is "running Imperialist dog."

This post has been approved by The Yellow Avenger

"I have trouble finding significant differences from the suv class from mine and mazda/hyundai/toyota etc"

The Escape ( a variant of the German-designed Focus ) is one of the better handling small SUVs, which most most European designs place a premium on, such as BMW and Audi, and Volvo to a lesser extent. Of the Asian brands, the only one that is serious about handling is Mazda. The CX-5 is a very nice drive, but under-powered and a little cheap and nasty inside. If Mazda had followed through with its plans to offer an upscale Lexus/Acura/Infinity/Genesis style brand I probably would be looking very seriously at a CX5 derivative with a quiet and well appointed interior. The older I get the less tolerant I have become of noise, vibration, cheap materials and sloppy handling. Mazda supposedly is bringing a diesel CX5 to North America and also improving its interior and refinement. That could be a very interesting option at a reasonable price.

@Shawn C. said:

I believe the correct terminology is "running Imperialist dog."

This post has been approved by The Yellow Avenger

Ah, you young 'uns, how quickly you forget!

It's "Running dog lackey of the bourgeoisie". :)

@CO Native said:

@Bushart said:

A little stereotypical don't ya think?

The Camry we recently sold is just as roomy as any domestic branded sedan as are the rest of Toyota line of cars and SUVs.

You ever see someone trying to squeeze in one of these?

http://www.chevrolet.com/cars/spark-city-car

http://www.chevrolet.com/cars/sonic-compact-car

Now who's the 5' 2" dude designing cars? :D

@MikeA said:
    Sorry but the toyotas just don't do it for me. The 4 runner looks like a grocery getter soccer mom car and the fj is nice but a little too hipster for me.

The 4runner is far from that description and is very off road capable and has a 5000 lb. towing capacity.

@George K said:
    "I have trouble finding significant differences from the suv class from mine and mazda/hyundai/toyota etc"

The Escape ( a variant of the German-designed Focus ) is one of the better handling small SUVs, which most most European designs place a premium on, such as BMW and Audi, and Volvo to a lesser extent. Of the Asian brands, the only one that is serious about handling is Mazda. The CX-5 is a very nice drive, but under-powered and a little cheap and nasty inside. If Mazda had followed through with its plans to offer an upscale Lexus/Acura/Infinity/Genesis style brand I probably would be looking very seriously at a CX5 derivative with a quiet and well appointed interior. The older I get the less tolerant I have become of noise, vibration, cheap materials and sloppy handling. Mazda supposedly is bringing a diesel CX5 to North America and also improving its interior and refinement. That could be a very interesting option at a reasonable price.

We just purchased a 2018 Nissan Rogue AWD a few months ago...more or less my wifes car. It handles real nice, is really quiet on the road, roomy, very comfortable on long trips and the interior is nicely appointed. And here's the best part...it's rated at 25/32 mpg but we are consistently getting 35-37 mpg. The trade off, which doesn't matter to me, is that the car isn't very zippy from take off or acceleration.

Our 2003 Camry with 245,000 miles held it's value real well. Sold it for $4000 to a private party and he didn't even try to haggle with me.

I'm sure I will miss my pickup at some point but I went with a Rubicon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file