A New Life

WetdogWetdog Senior MemberPosts: 5,149 Senior Member

I've now had two sets of seizures separated by seven weeks. I now have lost about two years of memory. I have nearly no short term memory at all. The anti seizure drug has made nearly all food taste disgusting. Only water tastes right. I did force down two pieces of anchovy pizza in the last two days and half a yogurt and two bites of chicken. Pork, my king of meats, the flavor I salivate over now tastes absolutely horrible. That alone is a bit depressing. I have lost five pounds so that's good, but.....

I can no longer drive. If I make it two months I get my license back. Desires? I have none. I only care about gardening, my family and the green bay packers. Everything else that I've loved and participated in no longer mean a thing to me I can hardly remember any songs I've played on the guitar for fifty years. Sometimes if I remember three notes muscle memory will bring back some of it. I would still love to trout fish but they won't let me. I also hate the news, I hate the sound of trumps voice, I hate what he and his republican supporters in congress are willing to sacrifice this democratic republic for Donald Fing Trump and destroy the separation of powers, destroy the independence of the justice department,....Man that was a run on wasn't it? I don't care it expressed what I wanted. That's becoming rare. I don't know if I want to be cognizant of where we are going and what we are doing to ourselves..

When I had my first seizure I was about to vote. I demanded to vote before they hauled me away to the ER. A paramedic happened to be there. I voted, it's a duty. Now I don't know if a vote is going to matter any more. That's how much danger this country could be in. If you think I am overstating this, just keep your eyes open.

Sorry about all that, I'll probably forget this in a few hours. No biggie, like I said, it's a new life.

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member

wow, not even a "good luck.?"

How about it George?

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,271 Senior Member

Praying for you. About the only response I can come up with. Hope you get better.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

I think I speak for all of us in wishing you the best, Michael.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,011 Senior Member

Sorry, I thought this was a thread you began a few weeks ago to which I had replied. It's a bad situation; I wish you the best of luck with it.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,030 Senior Member

Michael, I didn't answer your message at first because I found it heartbreaking. Speaking of 'thoughts and prayers' these days may seem simplistic, but mine are certainly with you.

Jim

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 361 Senior Member

I wish the best to you in the future Dog. Hang in there!

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,030 Senior Member

Dog, I've been thinking about you and your situation a lot today, and something popped up about my father. After heart surgery during which the doctors suspected he had a minor stroke, he developed a condition in which he virtually quit eating/swallowing because, as he put it, "everything tastes like a large dog ****." Have you checked with your medical people about what's going on? There could be more to it than simply a new drug. Hope I haven't added to your stress, but thought I'd best mention it.

Jim

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,976 Senior Member

is this another Cappy Duane post?

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com

First, thanks everyone.

Jim +, First, I am slowly remembering more and the taste is improving. Stuff I couldn't stand I can now tolerate, but the appetite is not very "strong." Now I've lost nine pounds. Add that to the twenty I lost after the heart surgery last year that's nearly thirty pounds. One thing to be pleased with. I still feel a bit "weird" nearly all the time and have very little interest in anything still. If I could only read it would be better, but this is all tolerable and I expect it to get better....just no more seizures please.

My stress is surprising low, the five hours a sleep a day is a little taxing, but again tolerable. I've had insomnia for the last twenty years anyway. Drugs are always in flux. I see the doc next week so we'll see where this all goes from there. Many thanks,

Michael

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,057 Senior Member

Sorry for not noticing the post earlier. Wishing you the best, Michael.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.