Learn something new every day

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 2,162 Senior Member

I'm a bit embarrassed about this one. Saturday was the high school 3A state championship, so I went to watch my nephews play.

So if you hit a foul ball, and its caught, the runner at third can tag and run?

What's something you recently learned that you never knew?

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,804 Senior Member
    edited May 21 #2

Today I found a huge pile of what looks to be Black Bear scat about 15 yards from my house.Three hours from my house in the GSMNP there are numerous bears. I hope we really do have a bear population, but I never knew they were here.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,162 Senior Member

Funny you should mention that. Exactly four years ago to this day I found out that one coyote will run from a golden retriever-but not two. I had to literally chase them off my porch.

Thanks, Facebook memories.

@sherb said:
    Funny you should mention that. Exactly four years ago to this day I found out that one coyote will run from a golden retriever-but not two. I had to literally chase them off my porch.

Thanks, Facebook memories.

Coyote's,, see my gun thread.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 996 Senior Member

I just found out yesterday that newer houses have a 4 prong dryer plug rather than a 3 prong. Caused me a lot of driving to get the right one. Not sure when they changed that.

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 888 Senior Member

Okay, I'm game, what does the fourth prong do?

Jim

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,285 Senior Member

Don't believe anything they say in that link. The fourth prong is there to annoy us old guys. That's it. :#

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 145 Senior Member

@sherb said:

Some electric plugs have 4 prongs,

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 145 Senior Member

@magalloway said:
    Okay, I'm game, what does the fourth prong do?

Signal goes to the Kremlin in Moscow, and to Mira Largo.

Jim

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,809 Senior Member

I learned something new today while searching for news on the car radio that confirmed my long-held reverence for the Law of Unintended Consequences. Back in 1976 Ralph Nader and others successfully sued to overturn state laws prohibiting pharmacies from advertising discounted drug prices; a seemingly worthy goal. They made the then novel argument that this was a violation of First Amendment rights.

Skip to today, when, after a series of decisions stemming from that 1976 one, corporations are deemed to have the same First Amendment rights as flesh and blood persons, and therefore have huge influence over elections and legislatures because of the money they spend on political "speech".

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 92 Member

I’ve learned you guys really like debating politics. Wow.

I guess it’s always been thus?

@breamfisher said:
    So, you're saying Ralph Nader messed something else up? (Former Corvair driver, here.)

I had a '64 convertible that I liked, but in truth it was only marginally less of a death trap than earlier ones and only because it had articulated rear drive axles instead of one piece swing axles. GM made this improvement only after Unsafe at Any Speed" appeared. It would spin out without warning when snow or ice was on the road, even at low speeds.

@CO Native said:

@bmmike said:

You can start a thread here on what the best way to remove chewing gum from your shoe is and someone will turn it into a political thread.
    Enjoy ;-)

Rub the sole on an old Trump or Hillary poster - either will work.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member

What I learned today......

a livewell fairly crowded

Equals 30 good size crappies---filling one 5 gal pail

weighing at 30 lbs of fish for me to clean :'(

An hour and a half for old man to clean-----"Wine Time"

• swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,550 Senior Member

The trick is to catch 15lbs at a time.

All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,704 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    I'm a bit embarrassed about this one. Saturday was the high school 3A state championship, so I went to watch my nephews play.

So if you hit a foul ball, and its caught, the runner at third can tag and run?

I learned it is impossible to delete a post once you have hit quote.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,704 Senior Member

@bmmike said:

Here is something else you can learn, how to use the new topic button.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,709 Senior Member

I’ve learned I need to go fishing with Swizz

I learned today how much I miss our farm with a lake FULL of crappie and walleye.
    I love to eat both!!!

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,272 Senior Member

TIL... of all the countries in the world with a name beginning with an "A," only Afghanistan and Azerbaijan do not end with the letter "a."

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 679 Senior Member

I learned that I don't know what "high school 3A state championship" is. Around here we have Division 1, Division 2 and Division 3 high schools. 3A? What's that? Also, what is the sport for which the championship is being contested? Baseball? Track and field? I am assuming baseball, since one does not "play" track and field (which I participated in--pole vaulting), but I am not assuming. So, I learned today that I do not know such things.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 679 Senior Member
    edited May 22 #25

I learned that I don't know what "high school 3A state championship" is. Around here we have Division 1, Division 2 and Division 3 high schools. 3A? What's that? Also, what is the sport for which the championship is being contested? Baseball? Track and field? I am assuming baseball, since one does not "play" track and field (which I participated in--pole vaulting), but I am not assuming. So, I learned today that I do not know such things.

Edited to add: I also learned that I need to read more closely. Clearly baseball.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,162 Senior Member

3A= That would be a smallish high school, but not tiny. Boise's schools are 5A. Etc.

Exciting games. I had a lot of fun watching.

I learned that Shark-Bite fittings can fail...

@MikeA said:
    I learned that Shark-Bite fittings can fail...

Can you elaborate---cuz I have some installed

I learned that Weber SS burners are held in place by non-SS bolts and washers that can corrode so badly that I cannot get a purchase on them with a screwdriver, socket or locking pliers. Several solvents have had no success in penetrating the rust.

I guess I will have to drill them out. Any other suggestions?

@George K said:
    I learned that Weber SS burners are held in place by non-SS bolts and washers that can corrode so badly that I cannot get a purchase on them with a screwdriver, socket or locking pliers. Several solvents have had no success in penetrating the rust.

I guess I will have to drill them out. Any other suggestions?

Vise Grips won the west

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 92 Member

I have learned today how to change my avatar.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file