29 Years Later...

2»

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,557 Senior Member

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,300 Senior Member

@CO Native said:

@fishingcomic said:
    Do yourself a favor and watch those videos. nobody is suing anybody. But this is not just a bunch of whining. That is something right wingers do.

BTW I bet if you showed up to work in blackface, that same CEO would have fired you.

If it's not whining, what do you call it? I think that guy is just pissed because it's a white guy. If it was him doing that voice, then it would ok.

Whining is in the eye of the beholder, your complaining that you should be able to enjoy a white man in black face making fun of a south Asian is to me sounds like whining.

As a comic I hate this Social Justice Warrior bull spit. But as a comic I also have to be aware of my audience. Plus making fun of an Indian American who works at a 7-11 is hack as heck. After 29 years maybe it is time to retire the joke.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@CO Native said:

If it was him doing that voice, then it would ok.

You need to watch the documentary, they find the accent offensive and get offended when asked to use that fake accent.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Interesting to note that one of my South Asian Comic friends thinks this is blown completely out of proportion.

edited April 2018 #36

I used to do a bit, I don't do it anymore because it is kind of hack to do that accent, where I opined that India is the only country to win a revolution by allowing the other side to kick it's hiney and then I talk about how we will never see a movie where a man says, "I am telling you sheriff if you are still here at sundown, I think I will have to be killing you." Once when I did it a South Asian shouted that I was racist. I think from his perspective the bit was racist. I have to respect that, even if I don't completely agree.

• EchoTestEchoTest Posts: 480 Senior Member

There are people out there from every race, ethnicity, nationality, class, gender, etc ad infinitum telling jokes about and doing steretypes about people they aren't......don't bother me...even if its non-whites or non-hawaiians making fun of or doing sereotypes of whites and hawaiians....I laugh at them all....and when I meet any people from those demographic groups I don't judge them by what I've heard or seen...I mean....they say it offends them...why....are they like the people in the jokes or stereotype representations? Nope...most jokes and stereotype representations are exaggerated for comedic effect...the situations don't happen...you'd think they'd realize it and go...well...I'm not ike that...I don't know anybody like that...never heard of anythng like that happening...so who cares?

I think there's someeting else going on....I think they remeber how their demographic group was treated like other demographic groups and they think comedy is motivated by the same thing...I always thought it was to make people laugh....

But I read something very prophetic recently...that white people will always be called out for how they treat minorities...but I'm multiracial...multiethnic....my family members and relatives and ancestors belong to a long list of demographic groups....races, ethnicities, religions, classed, lifetyles including LGBTQ etc....all across the board...and I've been to many foriegn countries on several continents....white people aren't the majority everywhere...on lots of places they are a minority....and they are treated the same way minorities around the world are...there are even regions and places in America where that is true....like where I live now...and you wouldn't believe how hilarious it is to be mixed race and experience bias and prejudice against both sides of your ancestory in different places ....but to also experience it from people in your own family and relatives....lots of my Appalachain Scots Irish ancestors living in hollers in the hills were against my dad for being non-white....several of my relatives in Hawaii were vehemently anti-white!

Its all just mental constructs people....just mental constructs!

In fact....you know what? The guy who has a problem with a white guy doing Apu....there's a very good chance he's racist!

That was the preamble that came before the statement 'White people will always be called out for how they treat minorities....it went 'MOST PEOPLE ARE RACIST...BUT WHITE PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS BE CALLED OUT FOR HOW THEY TREAT MINORITIES!

But to be completely accurate...it should be changed to reflect the truth...to 'Most people are racist, but the majority in any society will always be called out for how they treat minorities in that society'....

Anybody who's ever looked around where whites aren't the majority knows that.

In fact...people are just biased against 'them'....biased against people who aren't like .'they' are in any way...biased against people who are different than them in any and every way whatsoever...even the silliest of things....like what sports team you cheer for....what state/city/town/rural area you live in....what kind of car you drive...what kind of music you listen to....how you dress.....what kind of gear you use to fish.....oh you should hear some of the things different kinds of fishers say about people who fish differently than they do....any of them....bait chuckers got just as many jokes and slams and exaggerated stereotypes about fly fishers and some flyfishers have about them....and of you're getting the gist of this...it means...whites are biased against whites who are different in all kind of ways from them....but so are other races against people in their race too...you ever listened to a non-white tell jokes about and play out exaggerated stereotypes about different subgroups of people in their own race?

People are biased against people who are different than themselves! Which is what I think is often behind people complaining about people who aren't like they are doing things like or against people like they are....all this cultural appropriation stuff....all this you can't tell jokes about or play exaggerated stereotypes us if you're not us! You can't use what we consider are slurs towards us unless you are us (the infamous correct and incorrect use of the 'N' word debate)....

Which is the point I drop the bottom line.....IT'S HUMAN NATURE.....none of us like it even if it's only when it happens to us personally that many of us don't like it....but...IT'S HUMAN NATURE..and you know what they say about human nature...YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT! And you know what you do about things you can't change? Don't waste any time on excercise in futility...unwinnable battles....whipping a dead horse.....let it go....and do what you can do about it....demand your inherent rights as a human being....to have freedom of self determination....to not be treated in undesirable 'tangible' ways......things that can be controlled and fought by large numbers of people....by democratic processes....by enforceable laws...

Would you try to prevent humans from urinating because you don't like it? NO....OF COURSE NOT! Can you change where they do? Yes...well....except when nobody is around....like when 99% of the people wherever we're talking about are asleep...you can do lots of things when 99% of the people where you are are asleep...you can do lots of things when you're with people who are like you...you can even urinate on each other if you want...people do it...people do it and like it....apparently....

That what this whole people being biased and prejudiced against people who aren't like themselves is like...un-changable irreversible human nature...you can't change it...but there are some things you can change about what anybody does because of it....

Like...most modern studies hae concluded in agreement that infants show racial bias that prefers people of their own race and against people of other races...some people think this is the fear component....be affraid of things you don't know....maybe...

Like..how many herd/pack/flock species do you know where only alpha males are allowed to breed with superior females within the pack...species that don't breed with tangibly inferior mates...where ranks within the hierarchy are established through physical contests...where herd/pack/flock members are discouraged to not breed outside of their groups...where they are ostracized by doing so....where births of tangibly inferior young are killed or abandoned....yes there are all kins of possible reasons for this such as the group will be compromised by caring for the inferior....but this still happens when you eliminate every poteitial reason such as the species being in top of their local food chanin and there being more food available than they could possibly consume....I digress....this too plays out in humans....from innate knowledge....unfortunately for humans..or maybe not...depends on the outcomes I guess...but in humans mental constructs also come into play.....don't couple with different races...don't couple with different ethnicities...don't couple with people from different religions.....don't couple with people different in any way......

Lots of this whole people being biased and prejudiced against people different than themselves is socialized and enculturated....the result of experiences....but....a lot of it is motivated by innate human nature...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.