Celebrity encounters

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 3,909 Senior Member

Tell us yours.

I have never met a celebrity but I’m always fascinated by people’s stories. I remember a few years back when Steven met Doug Flutie. Stuff like that.

Kanola keep it to a paragraph.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,655 Senior Member

I used to SCUBA dive with WWE hall-of-famer Blackjack Mulligan. Huge guy. Real nice. A paim to tow when his leg cramped up.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,834 Senior Member

I have some obscure things here....Celebrities in their own right

Biggest one I missed---My buddy and I were having a beer---I said I was headin home----he went to the store for smokes---ran into Bob Dylan filming a movie---my buddy a guitar player---went home got his guitar--Bob signed it

Now to the obscure---Years ago when I fished tourneys---I fished against Al Lindner and Bob Izumi (Long time fishing show hosts) at times--of course in that atmosphere ya gab a bit---of course no secrets--Al is kinda my mentor.

I fished against a Young Chris Pronger (St Louis Blues all star defenceman) in a walleye Tourney--of course beers night before

My fav is this guy tho---when I was younger I had a Job Rubbin horses for Canada's largest Standardbred Horse Farm--3rd in NA---This guy was mine to train as a yearling---he went on to sell in Toronto and did very well in the Sire Stakes as a 2 and 3 yr old

Without going too long---He was playful as a yearling---we'd turn him out in the paddock for exercise---time to come in--could'nt catch him----used to open gate and let him run back to his stall on his own--he did'nt have a mean bone in his body

1st time I seen him race at 2--I went and bet him--he crossed the finish line---the field was somewhere about 3/4 pole

This is him some years later in a preferred race---He's Armbro Arvo---sittin last for "most" of the race

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S4CUDSY7Mgo

• EchoTestEchoTest Posts: 480 Senior Member

A paragraph? I've met a lot of famous people. A LOT! Sometimes for the strangest of reasons, sometimes in the most interesting situations. OKAY....I'll just mention a few and if anybody wants to challenge me I'll explain more....only way I can do it is in chronological order...so here goes.....Wolfman Jack, Roger Carrol, Craig Breedlove, Ricky Ware, Nancy Wilson, **** van Patten, Tina Turner, VP George H.W. Bush, David Hasselhoff, Gretchen Polhemus (Miss USA and Miss Universe 1989...might still have the signed beer poster, I've saved beer-liquor-automotive events and race and concert/musical event posters for decades for the garage at my 'forever house', I could take them all out of all the cardboard tubes and check for signatures and find more) Marcia Ball (know I have the signed CD still), Donald Gibb, Monty Roberts (recognized in the horse community as THE Horse Whsiperer, we have a personally signed book), Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), several of the most famous Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos from the 60s-70s (I met them and shook hands and they all personally signed a football, all after I jumped in the air in a crowd and pulled it down after one of them threw it across a large room filled with hundreds of people)....I've sat at tables with hundreds of celebrities and politicians at university and arts foundation dinners....some top Army General when he was in charge of either ARMY CFSC or FMWR (the latter is under the former), he was later involved in some huge case/investigation...something big time Senate Hearing stuff...Tagliabu...oh and was in AFJROTC class for several years with Karen Wagner, she ended up a top ranking officer in the Army...was killed by the jet that crashed into the Pentagon 911...when my Texas Big5A high school got too full they built another few miles down the road and named it after her...oh and Colonel John McNeil...Air Force Eagle Ace....he was also in my AFJROTC corp...flight?...I forget what they called it but he was also a hardcore skateboarder (late 70s) as was I...am I at a paragraph yet?.....I'll be remembering more all night long....oh...several of my ancestors were very famous and important people....developers/builders of towns....engineers in Hawaii's founding sugar industry...a sheriff of Kauai (rode a horse), a state Fire Chief and brother of the mayor of Hawaii that transformed the islands from a agricultural economy to a tourist economy....he was married to one of my grandmother's sisters...my dad's aunt....the Robinsons of Oahu (not of Kauai)...the heir to the Victoria Ward Queen's land grant...Charles Hustace...he was my step-grandfather...married my grandmother on my dad's side...think George Clooney in the Descendants...huge tract of land right between Honoluly and Waikiki...tons of annual revenue from all the things on it....sold for 250mil in....2001?...No...my parents saw a little....100k when he died around 88 or 89 and then my mom got 60k when his second wife died in 2014 and her daughter inherited everything left....

OKAY...I"ll quit....sorry....

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,223 Senior Member

I drank beer at Drew Bledsoe’s house when I was in college in Idaho. My buddy was qb for vandals and we went to party at his house. Dude was huge. Was like this guys a qb. Now he’d be normal sized. Was super nice guy

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,937 Senior Member

My favorite story so far is the night I spent hanging out with Rich Little and Buddy Allen. I looked at my buddy Tommy as they were busting each other's chops and told him, "You know that is us in 30 years."

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Who here has fished with Steve Tom? He is getting pretty famous.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

+Stone Cold Steve Austin. +Henry Cisneros (mayor of San Antone, Hud secretary).

Funniest story....Guy who owned New Orleans Saints, Tom Benson, owned the largest Chevy dealership in San Antone, at least before I got here in 66. Also owned a bank across the highway, Groos Bank. After Hunting Red Octobers and working on this huge one of three trial experimental sonar systems and all other electronic gear in the division, got out in summer 84 and went home. Went to work doing data comm equipment service and bench repair for thousands of customers throughout Texas, moved to installng and reparing mainframe sites at TS DOD locations around the nation, and when the It industry changed, technology changed, I moved with it. Was working for a PC-Peripheral-Networking company that got into Authorized Novell/Netware service when they started, doing installs, service, repair at thousands of customers from central Texas all the way down to the border (especially for large banks with hundreds of locations, school systems, etc)

So one day I'm headed to Groos Bank. Had become very close friends with the woman who handled liason work and monitoring contracts with all the people who worked on all the equipment they had from elevators to computers to phones to whatever. We'd sit in her office and talk a long time, hung out together out in the world sometimes, especially for concerts. Anyway....t I went there one day and pulled up in the small parking lot in front, they had a huge building four stories high with a basement and a four story parking lot out back. Got in the elevator and there was some guy wearing a black leather jacket, sandy curly hair, and the orangest skin I ever saw! He goes 'Hello!'..you know...rising up on the back end of the Hello..like Australians do...is that a dipthong? I don't know...I didn't think anything of it....said my usual 'Hey How's it going!' which is my automatic habitual greeting whenever I run into anybody and has been for decades (its part Texan, with some Hawaiian Pidgin in the middle).....turned around and punched the button for the floor my friend's office was on....elevator goes up....door opens...guy says 'Have a good day' and I nicely said 'Thanks you too' as I quickly glanced back and headed out the elevator. Get to my friends office, sit down, we talk for about five minutes, I sense movement in my peripheral vison, turn around and look out the window and an 80s black Trans Am is swinging by on cables....I go...'What the hell is that?'.....and my friends goes....

'Oh...you know that Knight Rider movie they're shooting in San Antonio? Well they're shooting some scenes here at the bank today. David Hasselhoff has been running around the building and all the young girls are in a tizzy about it all'.....and I went 'Oh fudge....that's who that Orange dude in the elevator was....musta been spray tan or makeup for the camera...dude's color really freaked me out for a second!'...and she asked if he was wearing jeans, dark shirt, and leather jacket, I said yeah, and she said yeah that was him.

True story! He was orange like an oompa loompa....that orange! Safety Orange!

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,999 Senior Member

I'll give echo 50% No spaces in the first post, so that barely qualifies as one paragraph.

Can't say I've met, as in had a conversation, but served hamburgers to a local radio host in Dallas. Rode in an elevator with Soupy Sales. I was probably in Jr. High then.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Julia Robert's at the bar in a restaurant across and down the street from the hotel we always stayed in the 15 or so times we've been to Taos....Old Taos Inn....she was in the Adobe Bar at the Inn earlier...New Years Eve...I'm thinking it was 2002...we did Christmas there a lot...we went there a lot....even drove all the way down from Pueblo Colorado just to have dinner at Doc Martins at the Old Taos Inn one evening...in my Vette...through the twisties through the national park between Cimmaron and Eagle's Nest....there was another Christmas we met somebody super famous like Julia at the Adobe Bar at Old Taos Inn but I for the life of me I can't remember who it was....Doc Martins was awesome...on special days and holidays they'd to one of those chef selection multi course with sommelier matched wines for each course....that was another thing we used to love to do but like most people when you've done something enough then your'e done with it....

Told You I'd be remembering them all night long!

As a side note...first time I'd been to Cimmaron and then Taos was summer before my freshman year in High School...a small group of us in a huge scouting troop had picked the hardest trek in the Philmont Scout Catalog to do....then we headed to many, many points west all the way out to LA and up and then back across to many, many points on the way back...

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,924 Senior Member

My job brought me into contact with many celebs, actors, pols and other "VIPS", so I won't Kanaloa this thread, but one story bears repeating. Back in the early to mid-'90s I was the head of the Foreign Commercial Service in South Africa, having switched from State a decade or so earlier. Anyway, there was was a BFD cabinet level visit by my (in theory) penultimate boss, Secretary of Commerce Ron H. Brown, a trade mission and an assortment of high level hangers on from government, Hollywood, the media and God knows where to Johannesburg. This had been preceded by a Come to Jesus dinner for several hundred people hosted in Atlanta by then-VP Al Gore that I had attended while on home leave or consultations in the States.

The conclusion of the dog and pony show was a huge cast of hundreds reception at the five star Carlton Hotel, across the street from my office in the American Consulate General in a high rise office building. Numerous pols and A-list Hollywood stars were there. As it ended I walked out a few feet behind Andrew Young, a man I had met several times over the years and genuinely respect and admire. As he approached the door, manned by a (native black African) doorman, a man I had come to know after more than two years in-country. Exiting, Young said "Good night, my brother." the doorman replied with a smile "You're not my brother, you're a rich American." As I exited he smiled and wished me good night with a twinkle in his eye. The next time I saw him he told me he appreciated the support of Americans, but resented the presumption of black Americans that they could identify with his struggles.

I can only hope that Andrew Young reflected upon the incident and drew the same conclusion.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 330 Senior Member

Steve McQueen, caught him ogling a cutie in a mini at Circus Circus, and he sheepishly smiled. Truman Capote, eating at the next table in a shrimp joint in Key Largo, NBAer Moses Malone, standing behind me at a downtown shop. Not very exciting life. But I never had to meet Trump or John Gotti, or any serial killer, either, so it evens out.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,909 Senior Member

I guess technically I had a mundane encounter with William Devane once. I asked to use the phone at the Slide inn to order a shuttle for my driftboat trailer. He handed me the phone.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,873 Senior Member

Just Sherb and Comic. ;)

I met a lot of famous Pittsburgh athletes when I was a youngster. Lots of the Steelers’ greats. Athletes were much more accessible in those days.

Since? Got a baseball signed by Charlie Morton (he won game 7 of the WS last year) when he was with the Pirates. We were at a Rockies Pirates game in Denver. He chatted for a while with my wife and I. Really nice guy.
    Right now we are staying at an ultra-nice beach hotel in La Jolla*(that’s why I’ve not been posting) and surprisingly haven’t seen anyone famous yet.

*This place is amazing. Totally Kanaloa approved I’m sure.

• SeaducerSeaducer Junior Member Posts: 36 Member

I met Bruce Lee at a bridge club his wife belonged to on my paper route in Seattle. Then in 1969 at at a concert I got to go backstage and meet Jimi Hendrix who was a childhood friend of the lady I was with.Sadly with all the people running around and the acid i had taken it was a little blurry, the concert rocked ..Less then a year after the concert Jimi was dead and I was listening to Machine Gun in Nam. Almost fifty years later i just bought Hendrix's new release Both Sides of the Sky and all is good.

Bruce Lee counts. Hell yeah.

What unit were you with Seaducer?

I think that guy TVActor (who used to be a member here) is doing all these Geico commercials now.

@Seaducer said:
    I met Bruce Lee at a bridge club his wife belonged to on my paper route in Seattle. Then in 1969 at at a concert I got to go backstage and meet Jimi Hendrix who was a childhood friend of the lady I was with.Sadly with all the people running around and the acid i had taken it was a little blurry, the concert rocked ..Less then a year after the concert Jimi was dead and I was listening to Machine Gun in Nam. Almost fifty years later i just bought Hendrix's new release Both Sides of the Sky and all is good.

Hendrix----You get my vote as winner

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,887 Senior Member

My first celebrity I met was Hubert Humphrey in 1972. At that time my mother was extremely active in the democratic party and she and my father hosted a fundraiser for Hubert. I was only 14 at the time so I wasn't all that impressed.

Second brush with celebrity was in 1975 I think. My friends and I were avid road racing fans and there used to be a Trans Am race every year at Brainerd International Raceway in Minnesota. Back then fans could attend drivers meetings as long as they behaved. The morning of the race I was there and so was Paul Newman and JoAnn Woodward. I was struck by how little Paul Newman was. When the meeting was over I introduced myself and received a autograph and a hand to shake, really nice guy.

The last celeb I met was Sam Shepard. When I wasn't busy I would hang out a fly shop in Lake Elmo Minn and I was pretty good friends with the owner. One day we're sitting there solving the problems of the world, in walk Sam Shepard. He was carrying this beat to **** Hardy reel and he wanted it looking and some new line put on it as he was heading out west to fish and whatever else he does. Mike the owner started giving him crap about how loud Hardy reels are so it turned into give Sam Shepard ****, which was pretty fun and he took it pretty well. He lived part time in Stillwater Minn with Jessica Lange who had a house there.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• joyescapejoyescape Posts: 13 Junior Member

You guys are so lucky to see these celebrities, it is actually one of my dreams to see Robert Downey Jr. in real life.

@Shawn C. said:
    Just Sherb and Comic. ;)

I met a lot of famous Pittsburgh athletes when I was a youngster. Lots of the Steelers’ greats. Athletes were much more accessible in those days.

Since? Got a baseball signed by Charlie Morton (he won game 7 of the WS last year) when he was with the Pirates. We were at a Rockies Pirates game in Denver. He chatted for a while with my wife and I. Really nice guy.
    Right now we are staying at an ultra-nice beach hotel in La Jolla*(that’s why I’ve not been posting) and surprisingly haven’t seen anyone famous yet.

*This place is amazing. Totally Kanaloa approved I’m sure.

La Jolla really is an amazing place.

@sherb said:
    I think that guy TVActor (who used to be a member here) is doing all these Geico commercials now.

That is him.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,525 Senior Member

My brother was working crowd control when Clint Eastwood was shooting "Any which way but loose" at the Zansabar (sp) in Aurora. He got me in to be a second and to meet Clint and Sandra whatever her name was. Then a year later while skiing in Vail Robert Redford ran into my sister so he offered to buy us a beer. There in the bar was Clint Eastwood (they were together) and he remembered me from the Zansabar. That really made my day.

Also due to my brother working crowd control at games, I met a ton of the Broncos in the late 70's and early 80's.

@CO Native said:
    My brother was working crowd control when Clint Eastwood was shooting "Any which way but loose" at the Zansabar (sp) in Aurora. He got me in to be a second and to meet Clint and Sandra whatever her name was. Then a year later while skiing in Vail Robert Redford ran into my sister so he offered to buy us a beer. There in the bar was Clint Eastwood (they were together) and he remembered me from the Zansabar. That really made my day.

Also due to my brother working crowd control at games, I met a ton of the Broncos in the late 70's and early 80's.

Would have loved to talk to Redford about Jeremiah Johnson (Prob not proper mtg etiquette I know)

I let him know that JJ was one of my favorites. I think the hardest part is making conversation with them. Being two of them, they guided the conversation and were happy to talk about their favorite work and such.
    My sister did inform Redford that she'd been skiing for her whole life and had never been hit before. That made for some funny conversation.

I knew the guy who was one of the technical advisors on JJ. He owned a hot springs down in the Snake River Canyon when I was a kid. He was one of those survival school guys.

If you look hard enough---we're almost a cult (ish)

from all walks of life---Some years ago I interviewed for a job in manufacturing
    So as it was in mgmt. I had to meet the prez.
    We spent 3/4 of the interview discussing JJ (started with a mountain man painting in his office)

Sidebar---I had to have my handwriting analyzed in Switzerland for that position---1st and only time---got the job

edited April 2018 #28

@Bushart said:
    Sidebar---I had to have my handwriting analyzed in Switzerland for that position---1st and only time---got the job

Interesting. Hate to derail this thread, but I always thought that handwriting analysis was "hokum" as Sheldon would say.

My one and only time---I asked what they learned?
    they would only say--You got the job

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    edited April 2018 #30

@Seaducer said:
    I met Bruce Lee at a bridge club his wife belonged to on my paper route in Seattle.

He lives!
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=3SAT_1525105261

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,430 Senior Member

The Flutie story was funny because the kid limo driver had no idea who Flutie was - he thought I was Flutie. Meanwhile, Flutie was standing behind me laughing his **** off.

I met Shaq in a hotel lobby a couple of years ago. Really nice.

I also spent about ten minutes chatting with Bill Walton (boyhood hero) about three years ago.
    Me: I was 12. I remember crying when you lost to Notre Dame.
    Walton: I was 21. I cried too.
    Me: What did John Wooden say in the locker room after that loss?
    Walton: Wooden never said anything after a game. Ever. Win or lose didn't matter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.