Inane banter or useful information

GoldenladleGoldenladle Super ModeratorPosts: 3,873 Senior Member

Inane banter or useful information

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,714 Senior Member

Can I vote again?

• EchoTestEchoTest Posts: 480 Senior Member

Well....if nobody reads it...what's the bother? Nobody here is paying anything to play here....and clicking a mouse to voluntarily opt in and out is like .2 nanaoseconds and one hundredth of one of the hundreds of calories most average americans shouldn't have consumed in a day anyway......so what's with all this fascism stuff? Only useful information? That's pretty subjective and arbitrary isn't it? Useful according to who? How many people here think most the stuff they post is useful? Our personal opinions on politics, domestic news, international news, music, sports, foods, television and movies....useful? Or inane banter? Depends on who you ask doesn't it? Do any of us believe our personal opinions really matter to more than a person or two...and they're almost always somebody we live and interact with on a very dependent and intimate level....like a spouse or partner....not anybody else...not even your friends no matter how they act in front of you and what they say......

I mean....let's be real if not anything else! Most everything any of us post here is inane banter to everybody else but ourselves....

And now bring on the liars who'd argue whether the sun was hot or not....which I guess can be a valid argument its not so hot....if you were born there and were used to it!

But doesn't that just make my point!

;)

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,608 Senior Member

Here's an inane opinion
    We are not strangers here looking to hear ourselves

We are here because we all share a common passion---fishing and the outdoors (with me it's also hunting)
    So along with that comes a level of respect as we all share said passion

Do we have to agree? No but as sportsmen we can respectfully listen and exchange ideas
    Buffco himself told us once that he had learned much here

You know--it's like an Adult Swim

Adult Swim is the most awesome gaggle of the most INANE shows on the planet....Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Mr Pickles, Squid Billies, Mike Tyson Mysteries, The Heart She Holler....for years I've had several of them set for series record on our DVR.....thanks for reminding everybody that the Inane is as necessary for a complete life as any other genre of engagement....

Also thanks for remnding everybody that respect is paramount for the effective, efficient, and peaceful interaciton amongst human beings....WE SHOULD ALL RESPECT EACH AND EVERY ONE OF EACH OTHER....INCLUDING RESPECTING OUR DIFFERENT OPINIONS, VIEWS, AND HEAD MOVIES....AND EVERY ONE OF US.....

Last thing any of us wants to be construed as is being a hypocrite! That's why I take criticism as well as I playfully give it with subtle but ulterior motives to help illuminate some point to others....

Maybe I should take my own advice and be more direct...but...that's like calling people out and pointing things out about them....and that's not cool!

OH...and BTW....I've been here on these forums off and on for 23 years.... can't recall much outdoorsey flyfishing stuff ever being discussed here....that usually happens on the regional and specialized forums....this is more the place for opinions about other things....and inane stuff....they used to spell it out on the main forum page....'The Lodge...a forum for....in fact its why they invented 'The Lodge'....for years there were too many people having too many discussions and wars on the forums dealing with things the magazine that paid for the site covered.....flyfishing stuff....too many people trying to define what could and couldn't be talked about on the forums...ergo...thus...viola....all of a sudden one day where were moderators and rules and 'The Lodge' showed up and badda bing badda booom.....

They still do that? Spell out the purpose why they pay for there being a lodge forum? Is it still to talk about things other than flyfihsing stuff?

If not then obviously things have changed....if they have does anybody have the official list...from the guys who pay for this site?

I'd really like to see it. I'm all about following rules or splitting the scene for Elysian fields where the Amrbosia is fresh and not canned!

Yep....its still there....

THE LODGE: A place for other topics--such as politics, current events, and debatable issues not related to the other primary forum categories.

Debate: 1 a formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward 2 argue about a subject, especially in a formal manner.

You ever watched United States politican candidates debate? You ever watched UK's parliament debate?

Rhetoric:......awww...you go look this stuff up....I'm of the impression it will make a deeper imprint if you do it on your own and get it from anybody other than me...you seem to have made your mind up about that....

Being a fisherman does not have to be talking fishing all the time as in the Lodge

It's the overall person---a lifestyle---an outlook---how you carry yourself---and how you treat others---agree or not

@EchoTest said:

Rhetoric:......awww...you go look this stuff up....I'm of the impression it will make a deeper imprint if you do it on your own and get it from anybody other than me...you seem to have made your mind up about that....

Always give a ten count before you play the victim card

I'm your Huckleberry and this is JUST my game.....I please answer the following....

1. Did you really think I was playing the victim card?

2. Or are you pulling that out of the air for some personal objective or or strategic mechanism in this discussion?

3. If you really did believe I was playing the victim card, WHAT MADE YOU THINK I'M PLAYING THE VICTIM? WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I'VE EVER PLAYED THE VICTIM? In this case what was it, the 'tone of voice' you heard in your head? Was it the movie you saw playing in your head?

Alright...since I can't tell how you're going to answer these questions....this might be helpful...Lesson #1: Never think you can read minds across the internet. Any Vulcan worth his triblenium oxide will tell you you can't read minds....UNLESS you're close enough to clamp your claw down on their cranium! Lesson #2: Vulcans are works of viction. Not only do they not exist, they've never found any evidence in a gozillion collective years of observation and tests that anybody ever has been able or can currently read minds!

There are generally two types of people in this world when it comes to one thing, about 50/50 split, those who believe they have a lot of influence on what happens to them and those who believe they have little to no influence on what happens to them.

I am of the former, not the latter, and often to my own detriment, I take total responsibility for everything that happens to me, I believe I could control or prevent pretty much anything I wanted or didn't want to happen to me, and when something happens to me I didn't want I usually believe I just didn't care or wasn't paying enough attention to what was going on, my fault. Problems are, of course, I'm not in control of or have influence over everything that happens, so I tend to jump into things too fast with too much confidence, or disregard things I should be more cautious oof or pay more attention to. Second problem is I sometimes misinterpret or don't see what was really going on, and thus make more mistakes like thinking something that can't be changed can, or I apply the wrong solution or action to something.

I've never felt I was the victim. Never! Even when somebody has done me wrong I think I was too stupid or not paying attention and I shouldn't have been/wouldn't have been there if I wasn't or had.

I can count the people I interact with on the fingers of one hand. Wife, mom, neighbor next door, one old and dear friend who's never, ever done me any wrong. My two best friends have fur! I don't generally think too highly of most humans. Why? Well...I'm not generally the type that lets anything prevent me from doing something, no matter how strong the argument against it, that's part of the strong sense of self efficacy part, no....I'm the type that doesn't do something because I don't have a reason to do it!

Victim? Wrong guy. I was actually talking more about you, it had nothing to do with me! I don't know of course...it just seems like anything I say to you would be a waste of my time....which is why I quit....

And that's about all I have to say about that....

Final question: Is anything I say to you a waste of my time? Do you know where I get that impression from?

I get that impression from you! Victim card? Nope! Don't personally care. I'm ruled by pragmatism. I'm not going to waste my time where its going to be wasted.

Laters tators.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,783 Senior Member

Sorry dude it's a bit much.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    Can I vote again?

Only if you are dead and on the Ohio voter roll.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,948 Senior Member

@EchoTest said:
    .Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger Force

these two had some funny bits

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

You know what---it's not worth the calories it would take to type a reply here
    Have a good day

@Bushart said:
    You know what---it's not worth the calories it would take to type a reply here
    Have a good day

Well now....that's an example of the usual respect I've gotten from you! Victim? No...just stating the impressions I've gotten from you.

Don't worry, I get it, I won't engage with you anymore.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member

@EchoTest
    Don't worry, I get it, I won't engage with you anymore.

That’s the point. You aren’t engaging w anyone but yourself. This is a discussion board. So have discussions. You know conversations with back and forth between more than yourself.

Engage in conversation. Not ranting diatribes that no one can comprehend or even want to try to do so.

So let me get this straight, you're saying this is a discussion board so I should have discussions and conversations? Which one is it, discussions, or conversations? I'm confused!

@jbilly said:
    That’s the point. You aren’t engaging w anyone but yourself. This is a discussion board. So have discussions. You know conversations with back and forth between more than yourself.

Engage in conversation. Not ranting diatribes that no one can comprehend or even want to try to do so.

And then I looked up 'diatribe' to see what it meant....you know...a tirade, a harangue, an onslaught, an attack, a polemic, a denunciation, a broadside, a fulmination, a condemnation, a censure, a criticism....

Now I'm even more confused...compounded by clicking the opening your user profile and clicking the Discussions button to read through your posts.....

So please set me straight...are those kinds of posts also okay or not...or just okay if its you?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.