Imagine that you are the CEO of a large social media company. . .

2»

Replies

• EchoTestEchoTest Posts: 480 Senior Member

@breamfisher said:

@sherb said:
    Best argument for limited government imaginable: a group of octogenarians arrogating to themselves the power to regulate billion dollar industries that they understand about as well as that unused commodore 64 out in the garage.

Thought for the day... maybe instead of term limits we should have an age limit?

Hey, relax, all right? Don't try to make politics perfect! Politics is boring. If it were like that it would also be fascist! Politics is a game. It should be fun. You should want to make it easier so even more lunatics and idiots get in....open up seats to more diversity...its more democratic!

Okay...that's probably an easy one! Betcha somebody gets it in two shakes of a lamb's tail....

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,115 Senior Member

Bull Durham
    Pulp fiction.

And how can this be? For he is the cheese snack paddywhack!

Dune

You're probably like me, I've watched a gozillion movies, some a gojillion times, I've got near photographic and detailed memory even for things that happened decades ago. My brain reacts to things with movie quotes and movie scenes, and I can sit here and recited movie and show quotes all day and night long.

At the same time, I've tried for a long time several times today and its impossible to find a quote that won't show up on the first or second page of hits at the max.....unless you find something very, very, very obscure nobody ever watched...and maybe not even then....everything is on the net....everything...

Its like all those thousands of 'only 1% of the world can get 50 out of these 53 questions right' games on the internet...oh sure...they're mostly click bait....every time you click for a new question a new ad appears to the right....and they rack up the hits for the ads at like...I don't know...a penny a click....a dime for ten...I don't know....

But I also have a 'friend' I've never met in person who plays them like ten to twenty times a day...and totally annihilates them.....how?....He's an excellent googler!

I'm an excellent googler...I can find anything...even if it takes ten...twenty times....change the string...pull things out...add more in....change what's there...eventually....Bingo....I got it...usually right off the bat...

I was talking to some kids in one of my post graduate classes and we started talking about where (online) we bought our books...which were the best sites....one kid says he mostly just buys the digital versions....electronic books....one of the others asked him why and says....well I take a lot of online courses, and when I take online tests its easier to have the entire book open and use the 'find' window to enter text and look up answers with it....

You could be a total idiot and 'instantly recall' any information in the entire world.....all the knowledge in the world at your fingertips....

• joyescapejoyescape Posts: 11 Junior Member

This is why I prefer twitter more than facebook.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,258 Senior Member

@Bushart said:

One would think IQ limits---But I know some high scorers that I would'nt want as leader
    Is there a score for common sense?

@joyescape said:

As do I.

@EchoTest said:
    You're probably like me, I've watched a gozillion movies, some a gojillion times, I've got near photographic and detailed memory even for things that happened decades ago. My brain reacts to things with movie quotes and movie scenes, and I can sit here and recited movie and show quotes all day and night long.

At the same time, I've tried for a long time several times today and its impossible to find a quote that won't show up on the first or second page of hits at the max.....unless you find something very, very, very obscure nobody ever watched...and maybe not even then....everything is on the net....everything...

Its like all those thousands of 'only 1% of the world can get 50 out of these 53 questions right' games on the internet...oh sure...they're mostly click bait....every time you click for a new question a new ad appears to the right....and they rack up the hits for the ads at like...I don't know...a penny a click....a dime for ten...I don't know....

But I also have a 'friend' I've never met in person who plays them like ten to twenty times a day...and totally annihilates them.....how?....He's an excellent googler!

I'm an excellent googler...I can find anything...even if it takes ten...twenty times....change the string...pull things out...add more in....change what's there...eventually....Bingo....I got it...usually right off the bat...

I was talking to some kids in one of my post graduate classes and we started talking about where (online) we bought our books...which were the best sites....one kid says he mostly just buys the digital versions....electronic books....one of the others asked him why and says....well I take a lot of online courses, and when I take online tests its easier to have the entire book open and use the 'find' window to enter text and look up answers with it....

You could be a total idiot and 'instantly recall' any information in the entire world.....all the knowledge in the world at your fingertips....

To quote the Presbyterian minister....again...half as long.

Yesterday I re-read the Louis Lamour short story “ a gun for Kilkenny” and I remembered it almost word for word. Weird. I haven’t read that book in 30 years.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,734 Senior Member

Sherb,

Try reading this: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1970/08/08/the-meeting-6

If you find you like Borges try to read only di Giovanni's translations. They were done in collaboration with the author and are the best available. Sadly, they no longer are in print because of animosity - to say the least - between di Giovanni and Borges' widow; but they are available used and several stories are on line.

This story was made into a short film by the BBC a long time ago, but I cannot find any reference to it on the internet.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

@sherb said:

Yesterday I re-read the Louis Lamour short story “ a gun for Kilkenny” and I remembered it almost word for word. Weird. I haven’t read that book in 30 years.

I'm all kinds of psychologically messed up....obsessive compulsive being one....when I see a movie I love no matter how many times I've seen it before...I have to watch it again or record to dvr so I can....

AND THEN....when I start saying the lines before they do....is when I bail out and find something else.

Thousands of movies I loved, loved, loved....watched a thousand times and then with a loud 'SLAP' across the face...can never watch again...no desire!

@joyescape said:

People get around characer limits on twitter....look at the president...he's always hitting the wall in midsentence and picking right back up from there in the next tweet.....strings of tweets....

Man...I can't even imagine trying to read an essay or article or work in a series of 280 character tweets! It would be like watching that carrot tooth girl who calls herself an actress....what's her name....ummmm....Kristen Stewart? You know...Twilight tweener high school vampire romance movies.....my sister in law and her daughters.....60, 35, and 32....used to bring the dvd's up with them because we got a 3d 70 inch with 7.1 sound....anyway....that girl drove me nuts....always speaking in spits and [email protected] and starts.....sentences broken in half....thirds...quarters...it was like that scene with the narrator in Rocky Horror where he'd do the same thing...and the whole audience on cue would scream 'SPIT IT OUT!' at him....

But alas...I've been in bleeding edge tech since 78.....and never owned it at home until I started taking university courses around 2,000.....no trs80s...( I knew guys that would program mathematic formulas on the mag strips for entertainmen,...).....NO commodore 64....no Amiga....nothing....and then I needed to write things and print them out and sometimes mail them or bring them in on flioppy fdisk and....

At work I built and shipped my son two computers at cost before I ever had one.....and I bought it at Walmart...

For like 20 years the Fly Fisherman Flyfishing board was the only social networking I ever did....a lot of that on the RM board first....I do very little to no social networking now....got a Facebooking page because I wanted to put do a cool avatar and background.....nothing on it....less than 50 friends....hardly ever post....my wife 'shares' pictures of our dogs and they show up on it.....yep...I think that's the only social media account I got anywhere!

I mean....really? I can't even imagine tryng to read something I was interested in or wanted to know 280 characters at a time.....what can someone possibly fit in 280 characters? 10 seconds of their personal thoughts? I can't even imagine!

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,580 Senior Member

To quote the Presbyterian minister....again...half as long.

And it was still a quicker read than one of Echo Test's posts

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Yeah....even though I use a million less adjectives....I slow people down with barricades and mazes so it takes twice as long....its not the content....its the reduce speed and hurdles that's the problem.

But...its deliberate...most of us need things to waste time on because we never did and aren't doing anything of any importance anyway....no great and admirable causes....saving lives...bringing peace to the lands....making important discoveries....cleaning up the planet....nothing like that...we never have! Mostly we just waste oxygen.....mostly!

I wanna do something important...but its 7.5b against one...I could never make a difference against numbers like that....might as well just....hmmmm....what is it you do?

2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file