Revert

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 2,222 Senior Member

This is my latest pet word peeve. All of a sudden I'm seeing it used instead of "reply."

The latest in reply to my request for some updated valuation data, "We are updating our calculations and will revert by the end of the day."

What's this guy going to revert into?

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,114 Senior Member
    edited March 16 #2

adulting.

As in, "I hate adulting." S.T.F.U. Adults don't use made up words.

rant over.

We need to find a way to get around these G-rated filters. Sometimes only coarseness and profanity can truly convey the intended meaning.

You cannot, for example use the name of the Fuhrer. How is one supposed to argue on the interwebs if H-I-T-L-E-R cannot be invoked?

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 973 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    adulting.

As in, "I hate adulting." S.T.F.U. Adults don't use made up words.

rant over.

Had this discussion with my son's girlfriend. She uses that term. I explained that a lot of the time we are winging it just like they are, it's just that we fake it with confidence.

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 884 Senior Member

One of these days, I'll present a rant concerning the current sorry state of the typical American English vocabulary that'll probably get me banned from the interwebs for the rest of my life. To this day, having some waitress describe my meal choice as "awesome" makes me want to want to hand her the menu, slap a dollar on the table to cover the costs of someone's having to re-wipe it with a dirty cloth, and walk out.

Jim

Would someone please explain the workings of the 'edit' function on this mess? I assume it has something to do with the asterisk in the upper left corner, but I'll be damned if I can get it to work.

Jim

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,732 Senior Member
    edited March 17 #8

I've not heard "revert", perhaps it hasn't reached Pennsylvania. Or perhaps I've grown so accustomed to barbarisms that I ignore them.

My pet peeves include the phrase "cautiously optimistic" and its variations, "impact" when "effect" is meant and confusing "massive" with "mammoth".

Every time I would hear some USAID or charity group person talking about such and such a country needing "massive aid" I smiled, enjoying visions of fleets of C130s dumping potato sacks full of dimes and quarters from the air, and feeling sorry for the more direct recipients of said aid.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

How 'bout 'impact' used as a verb? When I hear it used that way, I have an overwhelming urge to suggest an over-the-counter, overnight remedy.

Jim

@magalloway said:
    How 'bout 'impact' used as a verb? When I hear it used that way, I have an overwhelming urge to suggest an over-the-counter, overnight remedy.

Jim

Verb or noun, it's still a barbarism that I truly dislike.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,686 Senior Member
    edited March 18 #11

I haven't heard "revert" either, which if its a thing is surprising since my company is a giant whor-e for buzzword bingo.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,222 Senior Member
    edited March 23 #12

This morning...

"I am still on the hunt for a quality meeting in the 12:30 slot and will revert back once we have that taken care of."

I wonder if this is a Wall Street thing.

Also, revert back is redundant.

@Steven said:
    This morning...

"I am still on the hunt for a quality meeting in the 12:30 slot and will revert back once we have that taken care of."

I wonder if this is a Wall Street thing.

Also, revert back is redundant.

Yeah, "revert back" is akin to "from whence"

• EchoTestEchoTest Posts: 480 Senior Member

Steven, maybe he/she is Indian. Apparently in India or to Indians, revert means to reply or respond to someone.

edited March 28 #15

@EchoTest said:
    Steven, maybe he/she is Indian. Apparently in India or to Indians, revert means to reply or respond to someone.

That would depend on whether the rest of the language was in standard American English, or included lines like "the need of the hour is to do the needful".

Yeah, its unfortunate that because of globalization we in America have to deal bastardizations of English found in Indian English, Canadian English, and English English too! I mean really, cars have 'trunks' and a 'hoods', not 'boots' and and 'bonnets', 'boots' are a type of footwear and 'bonnets' go on a Prarie girl's head, which is why several of the blue flowered species of the genus lupinas that are found in the southwest are called Bluebonnets....(or was it because Scottish regiments wore a Feather Bonnet derived from a woolen cap Scottish mean wore in the 15th to 18th centuries called a Blue Bonnet?)....which reminds me....speaking of 'boots', most Canadians claim they don't actually use the incorrect 'aboot' for the incorrect 'about' as many Americans say...they actually say something closer to 'aboat'..which is just as bad because 'aboat' is a word used for small watercraft.....oh crap.....instead of explaining something I've actually confused myself so much I don't know what is what anymore....

I'm keeding around, of course!

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,222 Senior Member

Nope. Nobody from India.

Maybe they heard it from a call center in Mumbai.

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,131 Senior Member
    edited March 30 #18

it's all too weird and it's getting weirder all the time. Don't you think it's getting weirder, weirder all the time.... Advice...never mind it would have made you all too powerful.

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Yeah, getting weirder all the time, why, just recently that damned daylight savings time somehow messed up my German Shepherd's shedjewel....as the English would say....but it didn't mess up my wife's Whippet's shedjewel...within 5 minutes either side of 4PM he would always get up, grab one of their hundreds of stuffed animals from their crate and start running through the house, we thought he was either happy because he knew that's when we regularly fed them, or he was trying to get us up to feed him, or both. And of course we were always amazed that he did it every day at the same time except a few days a month here and there. At the same time I would always comment I wish he would wait till we fed them when we ate later in the evening so that he would stop standing in the kitchen staring at us in hopes of scoring table scraps which is kinda unnerving while eating.

Friday before 'springing forward' my wife says 'When we switch to daylight savings time you'll be able to feed them later because when Tristan (the whippet) starts his dance it will actually be 5PM, not 4.

Of course you probably know what happened right? We set the clocks back and go to bed, next day Tristan is doing the dance with the stuffed animal in his teeth within 5 minutes of 4PM and has been ever since.

We've always wondered how he knew time, couldn't be the sun because that changes throughout the year, couldn't think of or find anything in our movements that tipped him off because most days I'm the only one home at 4PM and I don't do anything different at 4PM than I was at 3 or did at 5, nothing in the hood happens at 4, neighbors coming or going, whistles or bells at schools, etc....so when he still did it at 4 after resetting the clocks forward it also completely blew our theory it was some kinda circadian rhythm thing.

We're now convinced he knows the significance of the hands on our clocks and what relative position they are in 'when its time'.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file