Russia and the NRA

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 8,947 Senior Member

Here's a story that came out during the board outage.

_A prominent Kremlin-linked Russian politician has methodically cultivated ties with leaders of the National Rifle Association and documented efforts in real time over six years to leverage those connections and gain deeper access into American politics, NPR has learned.

Russian politician Alexander Torshin said his ties to the NRA provided him access to Donald Trump — and the opportunity to serve as a foreign election observer in the United States during the 2012 election.

Torshin is a prolific Twitter user, logging nearly 150,000 tweets, mostly in Russian, since his account was created in 2011. Previously obscured by language and sheer volume of tweets, Torshin has written numerous times about his connections with the NRA, of which he is a known paid lifetime member. NPR has translated a selection of those posts that document Torshin's relationship to the group.

These revelations come amid news that the FBI is investigating whether Torshin, the deputy governor of the Bank of Russia, illegally funneled money to the NRA to assist the Trump campaign in 2016, McClatchy reported in January.

In a letter to Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., a member of the Senate intelligence committee, the NRA denied any wrongdoing and suggested the FBI is investigating Torshin, not the NRA. Neither the NRA nor Torshin responded to inquiries from NPR..._

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/01/590076949/depth-of-russian-politicians-cultivation-of-nra-ties-revealed

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,918 Senior Member

Let's not forget about Iran. They hit the lottery during the Obama years. Just look at them now...

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-slams-russia-iran-over-brutal-assault-on-syrias-eastern-ghouta/

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member

Fake news, George.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,947 Senior Member

My bad. (Hangs head in shame and slinks away to be enlightened by Fox News(

I don’t know if it’s fake or not. I don’t care until they come out with something tangible. It’s been a year and so far nothing…
    My point above was that the collusion between Russia and the world’s biggest state sponsor of terrorism, Iran, isn’t fake. It’s real. It’s happening right now. And the previous admin paid them billions, some in cash laden pallets flown under dark of night. Was it a “loan” payback from the 70’s LOL. When will they pay us back for the hostage crisis? A ransom? Or perhaps the beginning stages of something darker? See link…
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/world/middleeast/iran-syria-israel.html
    “Iran and its allies first intervened in Syria to defend the rule of President Bashar al-Assad against Syrian rebels after the civil war broke out in 2011, and later helped his forces against the jihadists of the Islamic State.
    But as the rebels have lost ground and no clear threats to Mr. Assad’s rule remain, Iran and its allies have stayed, shifting their focus to creating an infrastructure to threaten Israel, analysts say. Iran continues to train and equip fighters while strengthening ties with allies in Iraq and Lebanon, in hopes of building a united front in the event of a new war.
    “The ultimate goal is, in the case of another war, to make Syria a new front between Israel, Hezbollah and Iran,” said Amir Toumaj, a research analyst at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies who studies Iran. “They are making that not just a goal, but a reality.”
    Iranian leaders speak openly of their work to build this axis of resistance against Israeli and American influence. A key to Iran’s strategy, analysts and officials say, is to rely not on conventional military hardware or control of territory, which Israel can easily bomb, but on building ties with local forces who share its goals and benefit from its financing and expertise.”
    As to Fox news. Yes I read Fox. I read them all from all political spectrums. Can you say the same??

edited March 6 #6

"As to Fox news. Yes I read Fox. I read them all from all political spectrums. Can you say the same??"

Yes and no. I regularly read conservative sources such as the WSJ, NR, David Brooks, The Federalist, Ross Douthat and others, but I do not take seriously the crazy-right ones like Fox, Breitbart and Drudge, or "entertainers" like Bill O'Reilly or that Lush Rimmjob fella. :)

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,795 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    I don’t know if it’s fake or not. I don’t care until they come out with something tangible. It’s been a year and so far nothing…

It was hot last year, so that must prove climate change, right?

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

edited March 7 #8

I hear people accuse Drudge of being extreme right all the time. I don't see it. . It's right leaning sure, but extreme?? This morning there are articles linked from Wapo, NYT, CNN, CNBC, Fox, Forbes, NBC, The HIll, Yahoo, LA times, WSJ, CBS. Of all me news sites I frequent, rarely if ever is there this much diversity.

Climate change has been a constant on this planet since day one.

With Drudge, it's that he links to bizzare sites as well as legitimate ones. Many people can't tell the difference, and he makes no effort to distinguish among them.

I often disagree with what I read in the WSJ opinion pieces for example (and those in the NYT as well), but I trust their journalistic integrity and their ability to separate reporting from op-ed material.

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,795 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    Climate change has been a constant on this planet since day one.

You missed the analogy. Sometimes things take time such as the investigation. Just because it has gone on for a year doesn't mean nothing has happened, there has been some indictments, just not for Trump... yet.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,366 Senior Member

Kind of like Hilary...

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,369 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    Kind of like Hilary...

I'm sure, if Fox news is to be believed, that President Clinton will be impeached any day.

Can he be impeached a second time or would that be double jeopardy? :)

Are there new charges; aiding and abetting Crooked Hillary for example?

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    Kind of like Hilary...

I LOVE how the fever-dream, Faux News BS of "lock her up!" is going to really end up with at least someone in Trump's inner circle, if not him, being indicted.
    Schadenfreude is the best!

Lock Him Up!

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,369 Senior Member

@George K said:
    Can he be impeached a second time or would that be double jeopardy? :)

Are there new charges; aiding and abetting Crooked Hillary for example?

Ha, no. I meant President Hillary Clinton. You'd think she won the election, what with all the coverage of her criminal misdeeds on Fox.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file