Home The Lodge

John Kelly Stepped In It

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 1,076 Senior Member
IMO.

The Civil War was the result of a lack of compromise?

What about the the Constitution's compromise of counting slaves on a 3/5th basis--which was an attempt to placate the South? What about the Missouri Compromise--which was an attempt to placate the South? What about the Kansas-Nebraska Act--which was an attempt to placate the South? What about the gentle, considering the circumstances, treatment of the South after the North won the war? What planet does this guy live on? I thought he was the adult in the Oval Office?

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,242 Senior Member
    What about the gentle, considering the circumstances, treatment of the South after the North won the war?

I'm here waiting for Buffy
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,094 Senior Member
    I suppose you could make that claim about all wars.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    I suppose you could make that claim about all wars.

Yeah, kind of goes without saying. My point is that the North consistently compromised on slavery, but the South wouldn't give an inch and started the war.

The "there was honorable people on both sides" is not really correct. In saying that I am not imposing 21st century values on a 19th century tableau. Plenty of people in the 19th century knew slavery was immoral.

Kelly should have kept his mouth shut. Seeing and hearing what Trump does and says you'd think he'd know that.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    When I saw the briefing, the scene from Cool Hand Luke came to mind..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,524 Senior Member
    Kelly supposedly is the adult in the White House, what if he's just a Trump clone on Prozac?
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,560 Senior Member
    Can anyone tell me the virtue of compromising on slavery?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,570 Senior Member
    The compromise is what we have today: Slavery Lite - hire illegal alien Mexicans to do our hard labor for pennies on the dollar, min wage non-existent for them. Seems like a good compromise to me, win/win... they still feel like they're making a fair wage (which they are by Mexico standards) while US employers bankroll and fill pockets on labor and payroll tax relief. Slavery Lite is working well for agri, housekeeping, construction, and other such industries.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I'm here waiting for Buffy

Paraphrased response from Buffy:

'Just the good old boys, never meanin' no harm.'

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement