Home The Lodge

Good 'Ol George W. Bush

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 1,076 Senior Member
I wasn't thrilled by his Presidency--mainly for leading us into an unnecessary war, but I have always respected him for his fundamental values. Even more now.

George W. slams Trumpism, without mentioning president by name

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/19/george-w-bush-trumpism-243945

"Bigotry in any form is blasphemy against the American creed and it means the very identity of our nation depends on the passing of civic ideals to the next generation. We need a renewed emphasis on civic learning in schools," Bush said. "And our young people need positive role models. Bullying and prejudice in our public life sets a national tone, provides permission for cruelty and bigotry, and compromises the moral education of children."

"The only way to pass along civic values is to first live up to them,"

“We’ve seen our discourse degraded by casual cruelty. At times, it can seem like the forces pulling us apart are stronger than the forces binding us together. Argument turns too easily into animosity. Disagreement escalates into dehumanization," he said. "Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions, forgetting the image of God we should see in each other. We’ve seen nationalism distorted into nativism, [and] forgotten the dynamism that immigration has always brought to America.”

“Our identity as a nation, and unlike many other nations, is not determined by geography or ethnicity, by soil or blood. Being an American involves the embrace of high ideals and civic responsibility.”

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 5,085 Senior Member
    And here I thought W. didn't help New Orleans post-Katrina because he hated African-Americans.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member
    This silly non story will surely drown out the real story of the week. I see it's front and center of the usual garbage outlets.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,659 Senior Member
    Dubya is following in Jimmy Carter's footsteps, becoming a much better ex-President than he ever was a President.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    George K wrote: »
    Dubya is following in Jimmy Carter's footsteps, becoming a much better ex-President than he ever was a President.

I so disagree with this. Jimmy has gone from bad to worse and become America's angriest has-been.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member
    If you watched The Obamas and Dubya's faces at Trumps inauguration---this is payback for Trump slammin past leaders
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 3,095 Senior Member
    Nobody can be worse than war criminal George W. Bush. Carter was ten times better.
    Steven wrote: »
    I so disagree with this. Jimmy has gone from bad to worse and become America's angriest has-been.

Say what???
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Angry Jimmy Carter?
    Look, I know the Cubs* got destroyed in the NLCS but don’t take it out in Jimmy Carter!

*You have lived in a special time and place; an era where the Cubs actually win a championship between 108 year droughts. Be happy about that! Not everyone gets to witness that kind of miracle.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member

Sorry no, that title goes to Pete Rose.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    George K wrote: »
    Say what???

I wrote in English.

Never, in my life, has there ever been a more partisan ex-President.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    Bush's speech didn't go over well with Steve Bannon:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/21/politics/steve-bannon-george-w-bush-gop-convention/index.html

No surprise there.

Bannon is right about the Democrats--they are gearing up for a repeat of McGovern in 1972. Too bad, because if they come down as moderate liberals they could take advantage of the Rs infighting.
    I wrote in English.

Sorry, I did not realize you were referring to the anger WW 2 partisans felt about having Germany or its allies take over their countries. OTOH, despite his experience with nuclear weapons systems and the apparent availability of same from ex-Soviet sources Carter has yet to nuke anything. Hell, he hasn't even shot out the tires of a GOPoT campaign bus. :)
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,363 Senior Member
    I wrote in English.

It's also been a long time since a new president has been so critical of previous presidents. Jimmy has every reason to criticize. Also, Trump has been very critical of GW, so I don't see any reason why GW shouldn't return the favor.
    As to Bannon, he did so well as the man behind the curtain, but I wonder how well he will do at the head of the parade. We will see.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement