Home The Lodge

The motive in L.V.? Maybe its obvious

creekguycreekguy Senior MemberPosts: 4,369 Senior Member
The headlines keep saying they can't find a motive for the shootings. Maybe they are disingenuous. For me its probably just this: in so many popular video games, its fun to shoot people, lots of people. In movies, its fun to watch people, lots of people, get shot. TV shows, are often like that. I don't think the various entertainment/news industries want to talk about it, but it may be true that his motive was just to shoot a lot of people for the fun of it. I've never been a fan of censorship, but maybe we have to recognize that whats fun in entertainment might entice adults to try it out in real life.

(oh, for the good old days of everyone joining in on nasty Lodge debates!)

Replies

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    There is no doubt in my mind that our culture glorifies violence. However, despite being drenched in video games, movies, etc, that glorify violence most people don't go out and indiscrimately kill 58 people. Paddock was a sociopath. It sounds like his father, who had been arrested and, I believe, did time, was also a sociopath.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,988 Senior Member
    I think sociopath. But the the glorification of violence could be what pushed him over the edge.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    We also have a culture where these people can get their 15 minutes of fame posthumously. If you are both suicidal and insane why just kill yourself when you can go out in a blaze of glory and have your name remembered?
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 5,090 Senior Member
    Tipper was wrong then. She'd be wrong now.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member
    Canadians watch the same movies, tv shows, (plus the Trailer Park Boys), and play all the video games we do. Plus I doubt that guy ever even heard of Grand Theft Auto.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement