OK, My statue Stance Justified

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,093 Senior Member
    Well in many of these instances it has been the choice of the people to remove these reminders and celebration of a White Supremist past.

And just look how much better things have gotten... It's clearly gaping the racial divide. Who would a thunk that it was statues and not social issues creating tension all these years. I can't wait till these little piece of **** protestors get bold and come to erase the rest of Americas history. It'll be,,, historic.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,240 Senior Member
    that is a simplistic interpretation and is not even close to sound logical reasoning.

When the Germans took down the Swastikas, it did not make being Jewish in Germany better, but it would have been a poor excuse to keep them up.

Removing these statues glorifying the defense of slavery does nothing to erase the history.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    Leave the statues up. They are a reminder of an ugly side of our history that needs to be remembered so it doesn't happen again.

Taking down things that are offensive does not stop people from acting offensive. Stop getting offended about the abstract and start worrying about the things you can actually see.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,039 Senior Member
    Leave the statues up. They are a reminder of an ugly side of our history that needs to be remembered so it doesn't happen again.

This has been my point from the start

Again as our Openly Gay--female--liberal premier said on school name removal......"Use it as a teaching moment"

It really must be me---cuz I don't find this, that difficult
    Bushart wrote: »
    This has been my point from the start

Again as our Openly Gay--female--liberal premier said on school name removal......"Use it as a teaching moment"

It really must be me---cuz I don't find this, that difficult

Look around at who's actually doing the protests and damage. It's not who you would expect. This is paid for outrage and propaganda. This is a well funded, well organized, attack against our founding principles. #resist....
    How come every time someone takes a stance you don't believe in you right wing nutjobs insist they must be being paid? Slavery and white nationalism are not our founding principles. You may believe so, but they are not.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,551 Senior Member
    I wonder if we are the only country going through this ****. I mean every civilization has had slaves, so why isn't this going on everywhere?
    Don't you have some libtard social injustice crusade to hold a sign and cry about somewhere?
    CO Native wrote: »
    I wonder if we are the only country going through this ****. I mean every civilization has had slaves, so why isn't this going on everywhere?

I don't think many of them had them in the 19th Century and then enforced laws denying the former slaves civil rights for the following hundred years. Plus how many of them erected statues honoring the people that wanted to topple the government that wanted to free those slaves?
    MikeA wrote: »
    Don't you have some libtard social injustice crusade to hold a sign and cry about somewhere?

Don't you have a cross burning you have to prepare for?
    How often over the last "X" amount of years has anyone looked at these statues and genuflected or started a slavery movement?

Likely not

It in reality is though a marker in the country's history
    Don't you have a cross burning you have to prepare for?

I live a good life and I treat everyone I meet with respect. I have zero concern about the way I interact with, and treat other people. None whatsoever. I have however, always wondered about you guys who feel the need to constantly reinforce their beliefs in this matter publicly and soooo loudly. Some of you are crying so loud you're drowning out the actual people who are dealing with it. Kinda reminds me of the folks who attend church every Sunday to hopefully negate the crap they pulled mon-sat.... The empty vessel makes the loudest sound.
    Being offended is a choice...

Just sayin'
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,898 Senior Member
    Being offended is a choice...

Just sayin'

Being offended is not a choice, what you chose to do about is the choice.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

No...it's definitely a choice.

MikeA wrote: »
    I live a good life and I treat everyone I meet with respect. I have zero concern about the way I interact with, and treat other people. None whatsoever. I have however, always wondered about you guys who feel the need to constantly reinforce their beliefs in this matter publicly and soooo loudly. Some of you are crying so loud you're drowning out the actual people who are dealing with it. Kinda reminds me of the folks who attend church every Sunday to hopefully negate the crap they pulled mon-sat.... The empty vessel makes the loudest sound.

You have so completely described yourself here.
    Bushart wrote: »
    How often over the last "X" amount of years has anyone looked at these statues and genuflected or started a slavery movement?

Likely not

It in reality is though a marker in the country's history

No the country's history is these men were traitors and terrorists not conquering heroes. They are not portrayed as the criminals they were. So there is no history on display here. If no one is genuflecting, then there should be no concern for removing them.
    No...it's definitely a choice.

So is being a redneck.
    No the country's history is these men were traitors and terrorists not conquering heroes. They are not portrayed as the criminals they were. So there is no history on display here. If no one is genuflecting, then there should be no concern for removing them.

Well there kinda is concern---country is divided already with both sides not looking for middle ground

So in a ham fisted way--the statues are destroyed---pretty sure the statue stay side is not happy---and the divide grows longer

Also is there evidence that the general public treats these statues as conquering heroes?---or just a symbol of the past holding pigeons

Thinking outside the hard drawn party lines here---by removing them you may be losing a reason to have the Never Again impromptu talk

Pretty sure beating this dead horse ain't changin much now tho
    There is no middle ground when you have a statue of the founder of the KKK on heroic display.

Nathan-Bedford-Forrest-monument-AP-640x480.jpg

How is this anything short of heroic? Now if they had him in his Klan hood, that would be history.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,555 Senior Member
    So is being a redneck.

This deserves a more full discussion.
    So is being a redneck.
    Yes that is choice also. But has nothing to do with choosing to be offended.

Bunch of snowflakes is the real reason...

Would this be true of those offended by removing them?

I get it nobody else's perspective matters. The only thing that matters is what offends you and if it does not offend you, how dare African-Americans be offended.
    So, imagine that America demolished all of these Confederate monuments, as if Beauregard, Davis, Lee, and their ilk never had been born. And, for good measure, picture these relics being forged into bronze, copper, and steel ingots. None of this would do a **** thing to improve the life of even one black American.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/450791/confederate-statues-removal-black-people-wont-benefit
    Again that is not the point. I know you like to tell black people what they should care about. I know, if you don't care about it, why should they, right? However the purpose of those statues was to remind them that in the eyes of their government, they are less. That is why they want them gone.

Me, I want them gone because I don't think we should ever honor traitors and those that would make war against the United States. Perhaps you would like a statue of Benedict Arnold keeping watch over the Hudson River. Me, I don't.
    Again that is not the point. I know you like to tell black people what they should care about. I know, if you don't care about it, why should they, right? However the purpose of those statues was to remind them that in the eyes of their government, they are less. That is why they want them gone.

Me, I want them gone because I don't think we should ever honor traitors and those that would make war against the United States. Perhaps you would like a statue of Benedict Arnold keeping watch over the Hudson River. Me, I don't.

This assumes that you think black folks (or anyone else for that matter) sit around thinking about the statues and the history behind them. It's more of left wing witch hunt is all it is.

“I’m not going to waste my time worrying about these Confederate statues,” he said. “That’s wasted energy. You know what I’m gonna do? I’m gonna keep doing great things. I’m gonna keep trying to make a difference number one in the black community — because I’m black — but also [I’m] gonna try to do good things in the world. I’m not gonna waste my time screaming at a neo-**** who’s gonna hate me no matter what, and I’m not gonna waste my time worried about these statues that they’ve got all over the country.”

So the proper response is to ignore the statues, Barkley was asked.

“I’ve always ignored them!” he said. “Rick, I’m 54 years old. I’ve never thought about those statues a day in my life. I think if you asked most black people to be honest, they ain’t thought a day in their life about those stupid statues. What we as black people need to do: We need to worry about getting our education, we need to stop killing each other, we need to try to find a way to have more economic opportunity and things like that. Those things are important and significant. You know, I’m wasting time and energy [if I’m] screaming at a neo-****, or [saying] ‘Man, you’ve got to take this statue down.’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/08/18/charles-barkley-im-not-going-to-waste-my-time-worrying-about-these-confederate-statues/?utm_term=.287350d36c8c
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,565 Senior Member

21st century goggles looking at 19th century constitutional growing pains.
    This assumes that you think black folks (or anyone else for that matter) sit around thinking about the statues and the history behind them. It's more of left wing witch hunt is all it is.

“I’m not going to waste my time worrying about these Confederate statues,” he said. “That’s wasted energy. You know what I’m gonna do? I’m gonna keep doing great things. I’m gonna keep trying to make a difference number one in the black community — because I’m black — but also [I’m] gonna try to do good things in the world. I’m not gonna waste my time screaming at a neo-**** who’s gonna hate me no matter what, and I’m not gonna waste my time worried about these statues that they’ve got all over the country.”

So the proper response is to ignore the statues, Barkley was asked.

“I’ve always ignored them!” he said. “Rick, I’m 54 years old. I’ve never thought about those statues a day in my life. I think if you asked most black people to be honest, they ain’t thought a day in their life about those stupid statues. What we as black people need to do: We need to worry about getting our education, we need to stop killing each other, we need to try to find a way to have more economic opportunity and things like that. Those things are important and significant. You know, I’m wasting time and energy [if I’m] screaming at a neo-****, or [saying] ‘Man, you’ve got to take this statue down.’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/08/18/charles-barkley-im-not-going-to-waste-my-time-worrying-about-these-confederate-statues/?utm_term=.287350d36c8c

Many of my points are touched here

Nobody really noticed short of the pigeons---take the energy and make a better world
    And yelling at ****'s is like peta yelling at me for hunting/fishing---falls on deaf ears
    Channeling My Inner Sherb

Well this thread has gone long and folks need to take a Pill
    Cuz I'm not gonna die on each and every hill

So I'm gonna kick back with a crock and kinda chill
    No way am I gonna die on each and every hill

There's better things to do, that'll give you a thrill
    Than fightin this battle to lose another hill

Now the World's gone crazy, so I'm keepin kinda still
    But you keep goin on, and die on every hill

Both sides are tired, And they've really had their fill
    Turns out, they all died on that very same hill

B. Art

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.