Sheriff Joe Arpaio

BufordBuford Senior MemberPosts: 2,966 Senior Member
Gets his pardon. All he did was his job, good news indeed.
Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

Replies

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Donald finally accomplishes something- letting a criminal off the hook.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    Media is absolutely losing their **** right now.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,966 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Donald finally accomplishes something- letting a criminal off the hook.

Mike

Just doing his job. Profiling works no matter if it hurts peoples feelings or not. Didn't hurt mine.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Irrelevant, he was ordered by the courts to quit and he didn't. He was convicted and sentenced..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,927 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Media is absolutely losing their **** right now.

As opposed to what the last 8 months.

Today on CNN (it was on where I had lunch). Mega storm bearing down on Texas!!!! This will likely kill hundreds of people!!! Did they talk about what to do, where to go, what the emergency plans and places are? Oh hell no. They talked about what will Trump do and how bad Bush screwed up Katrina. How do they still exist as a news site anymore. They are the new soap opera for stay at home people.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,922 Senior Member
    So you do not think the response of the Federal Government to a natural disaster is important?

That other stuff is what you go to your local authorities for. In case you have not noticed, CNN is not a local news channel. But you go ahead and enjoy your sycophantic rage.

BTW I have been watching CNN and I have seen none of that. Which tells me you either saw one discussion and lost your mind or more likely you are not watching it, you are just believing what your fake conservative news site is telling you.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Buford wrote: »
    Just doing his job. Profiling works no matter if it constitutional or not.

Fixed it for you. It is nice to see just how much you conservatives just love America.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,861 Senior Member
    Fixed it for you. It is nice to see just how much you conservatives just love America.

Yeah, I thought one of the planks Trump ran on was 'law and order?' But **** the constitutional rights of brown people. Ha, ha. Things are so ****ed up right now.

Sherb,
    It sounds like you may think that the media should not be blasting this move? It isn't like Trump studied the merits of the case and decided that Joe Profiler was unfairly convicted. He pardoned a guy to play to his racist base. I'm sure it isn't any worse than other presidential pardons but the timing is bad on this. Like freakin' race-riot bad. And with a Cat 4 hurricane bearing down on CONUS this is his priority?
    Late Breaking good news though:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/gorka/index.html

This Goebbels wanna be is finally out. Looks like Gen Kelly is doing Trump and the country some good!
    Shawn C. wrote: »

It sounds like you may think that the media should not be blasting this move?

Not necessarily. I'd just like to see some less hysterical press coverage. Hopefully things calm down and I can read some coverage that is a bit short of breathless.
    It isn't like Trump studied the merits of the case and decided that Joe Profiler was unfairly convicted.

Probably true.
    He pardoned a guy to play to his racist base.

I'm not sure how far you want to take this. People loved the tent city because Crazy Joe was law and order as they understood it. You can call it racist if you want, but it occludes the issues and ultimately plays into the hands of people like Trump and his supporters. I mean can't you just hear Joe K and Buford? "Oh, so its racist to lock up criminals? Troops in Iraq live in tents in 130 degree heat, but every time some inmate gets a hangnail its a federal lawsuit?"
    The Tent City and the Pink Underwear were not the problems. It was his racial profiling and Birtherism that were.
    This sucks because I really want to talk about my own experiences with jails and the ACLU, but this really isn't the forum for it.

As Cheeto Jesus is known to say, "there's many fine people on both sides."
    I would just like to point out that "hysterical" is not an objective observation and may be informed by a personal bias.
    I would just like to point out that "hysterical" is not an objective observation and may be informed by a personal bias.

Calling the press coverage "hysterical" is a hell of a lot more objective than the actual hysteria surrounding this guy's pardon. Its a contempt order from a judge, a minor misdemeanor. I'm not saying the pardon was justified and I'm sure the Donald did it for all the wrong reasons, but the guy ain't ****.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    About "press Coverage". Like every marketer, the TV news has a certain target audience. Unfortunately, their target audiences lives off the "crisis a day" mentality. If you watch them expecting a different product you are wasting your time, or storing up outrage to spew later on the web:). Taking the coverage as a political statement is mostly wrong, they did it to all the previous POTUS's.

Fortunately I don't think the FEMA and other emergency responders have suffered effects from the Trump budget cuts yet, and as such may still be able to function well, which he will take credit for. Next years storms might be different. When it comes to appointing a head to FEMA, Trump will have to really stretch to outdo GWB.

As far as Joe Arp goes, this was low hanging fruit for the Donald. he hasn't been able to get any big wins in Congress, but here he was able to give a tasty plum to his base. I expected this all along actually.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,524 Senior Member
    How come when Obama pardoned something 12x more than than 10 presidents combined, you never even heard about it.
    We never heard about it? Are you freaking kidding me?
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,524 Senior Member
    He turned loose known terrorists and it wasn't a 10th of this.
    Most of those were released under Bush.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,016 Senior Member
    This author thinks Trump's pardon of Arpaio, his statements about the Charlottesville situation, his ban on trans-gender people in the military, etc., are designed to solidify his base so that they take up arms when the Russia investigation results in impeachable offenses.

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/29/arpaio-pardon-may-be-opening-act-of-a-constitutional-crisis_partner/
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,966 Senior Member
    This author thinks Trump's pardon of Arpaio, his statements about the Charlottesville situation, his ban on trans-gender people in the military, etc., are designed to solidify his base so that they take up arms when the Russia investigation results in impeachable offenses.

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/29/arpaio-pardon-may-be-opening-act-of-a-constitutional-crisis_partner/

Yea that's it.
    Good grief Charlie Brown.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,999 Senior Member
    I think the big deal is not that Sheriff Joe is guilty of a misdemeanor, but what the pardon says about attitudes towards racial profiling. Some will interpret it as Arpaio's behavior is OK and that may include Trump.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,923 Senior Member

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/29/arpaio-pardon-may-be-opening-act-of-a-constitutional-crisis_partner/[/QUOTE

Here's some more smoke - no real fire yet, at least not in public, but lots and lots of smoke.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/us/politics/trump-tower-putin-felix-sater.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,425 Senior Member

The Left really needs to decide whether Trump is an idiotic buffoon or a freaking evil genius.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    The Left really needs to decide whether Trump is an idiotic buffoon or a freaking evil genius.

He has a staff of crazies who actually think a bit. A number of supporters have started forecasting (threatening?) trouble in the streets.
    Steven wrote: »

I'm thinking he is an evil, idiotic buffoon.
    George K wrote: »

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/29/arpaio-pardon-may-be-opening-act-of-a-constitutional-crisis_partner/[/QUOTE

Here's some more smoke - no real fire yet, at least not in public, but lots and lots of smoke.

[url]https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/us/politics/trump-tower-putin-felix-sater.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news[/url]

There is definitely something amiss about Trump and Russia.

That is a bridge too far. However, it is solid evidence that he is 100% not interested in being President of all of the citizens of our country. Which is fine by me because he can go straight to hell.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.