Your thoughts? Flag removal

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 4,370 Senior Member
In a central FL county, the NAACP and other groups have called for the removal of the Confederate Flag and Confederate statues from all government-owned properties. About the only Confederate Flag flying over any county-owned property is the one flying in a display with all the other flags that have flown over FL (US, English, Spanish, French). So... in this context, is the display of the Confederate flag permissible or not? Not trying to start any sort of fight, just wondering what other folks think.

Here's a news article on the issue:
http://www.ocala.com/news/20170815/marion-naacp-get-confederate-symbols-off-public-land

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,845 Senior Member
    I think this entire thing is the new battle cry to be heard

When does that Spanish flag take heat for Cortez' actions---look hard enough you can find something that will be a point of argument

If it's just a display marking history points---No matter what it was---you cannot change history
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,780 Senior Member
    I have no problem with removing Confederate flags from government property. I am fine with the flag flown with all the other present and past flags. It fits the historical context, rather than promoting an idea that the government needs to avoid.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.