Perpetual war

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,872 Senior Member
Anybody listen to the forever war speech by President Trump last night? No different from the Bush-Obama perpetual war policy that the elite has dictated.

http://therealnews.com/t2/story:19819:Trump%27s-New-Afghanistan-Strategy%3A-Windfall-for-the-Military-Industrial-Complex%26%238203%3B

Trump's New Afghanistan Strategy: Windfall for the Military-Industrial Complex​

After 16 years and over a trillion dollars' worth ​of fighting, the U.S. has accomplished none of its stated goals--except the goal of​ enriching the ​flourishing military-industrial complex

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,969 Senior Member
    Ike warned us about the dangers of the lapis-lazuli industrial complex.

Seriously though, whether we leave tomorrow or 15 years from now that place is going to descend into terrible violence and further instability.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    EdB wrote: »
    Anybody listen to the forever war speech by President Trump last night? No different from the Bush-Obama perpetual war policy that the elite has dictated.

http://therealnews.com/t2/story:19819:Trump%27s-New-Afghanistan-Strategy%3A-Windfall-for-the-Military-Industrial-Complex%26%238203%3B

Trump's New Afghanistan Strategy: Windfall for the Military-Industrial Complex​

After 16 years and over a trillion dollars' worth ​of fighting, the U.S. has accomplished none of its stated goals--except the goal of​ enriching the ​flourishing military-industrial complex

This is true!
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,923 Senior Member
    i was just thinking "man i miss a good ed b post"
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,286 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    This is true!

Not so, we achieved the most important goal, we kill Bin Laden. Now time to come home with a simple warning, you **** up, we will be back and we won't be so nice next time.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,872 Senior Member
    Not so, we achieved the most important goal, we kill Bin Laden. Now time to come home with a simple warning, you **** up, we will be back and we won't be so nice next time.

Was achieving that goal worth the deaths of thousands of innocent Afghans and American soldiers for the last 16 years, and more to come?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,286 Senior Member
    Yes. You don't want us to invade your country, don't protect a man that killed thousands of our citizens. As far as more to come, I say negotiate political solution with the Taliban and leave. Just remind them we can attack them with a B-52 stationed in Georgia.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I think the Taliban are more than content to play the waiting game. NATO will tire of the losses and expense and will leave, just like those before them..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

This was accomplished in Pakistan, based on CIA intelligence, And the troops were Navy Seals. I guess you could say it wouldn't have happened without the whole war project, but one could argue the opposite as well.

Afghanistan Op was to deny terrorists a host country to train, etc. Thinking that a friendly, stable Gov could be created there was daft! So a permanent occupation there was necessary, just like Nam!
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,872 Senior Member
    Yes. You don't want us to invade your country, don't protect a man that killed thousands of our citizens. As far as more to come, I say negotiate political solution with the Taliban and leave. Just remind them we can attack them with a B-52 stationed in Georgia.

Shades of Madeleine Albright.
    Just remind them we can attack them with a B-52

Did not work well in Viet Nam, and the Afghanis have shown they will ignore such threats.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.