General Pershing and the Moros

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 709 Senior Member
Yesterday the president tweeted about how General John "Black Jack" Pershing was effective in subduing a Muslim insurgency on the island of Mindanao in the Philippines in 1906. He was referring to a story he related several times during the campaign, and which is apparently "out there" in cyberspace, about how Pershing had his men dip bullets in pig's blood and then shoot captured Muslim insurgents and bury them in pig's skins, with the result that the insurgents gave up because they did not want to miss out on getting into Paradise if they were killed fighting the Americans. The whole tone and tenor of the President's comments are that we should consider doing the same thing with modern day Islamic terrorists.

In light of all of the other things the President has said in recent weeks this is probably only a 5, if that, on the 1 to 10 hogwash (pun intended) scale, but nonetheless, it is BS:

1. It is factually wrong. http://www.snopes.com/rumors/pershing.asp

2. More importantly, it is morally wrong, and if done would be stooping to the level of the terrorists.

I should also mention that our treatment of the Filipinos fighting for independence after the Spanish American war is a stain on our history.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,350 Senior Member
    Here's why I think Trump was being disingenuous about the **** in C'ville. He doesn't want to condemn anybody. He wants to wait for all the facts, there's good people on both sides, blah, blah.

But someone drives a car into a crowd in Barcelona, and Trump is condemning the attack even before ISIS claims responsibility. Then he relates the ridiculous, fake story noted above. All of that tells me that for whatever reason, Trump didn't want to condemn the **** in C'ville. And I'm guessing its for the dumbest reason imaginable-because they haven't criticized him.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    I really think he's either

1. Truly insane
    2. Wants to be fired
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,870 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Here's why I think Trump was being disingenuous about the **** in C'ville. He doesn't want to condemn anybody. He wants to wait for all the facts, there's good people on both sides, blah, blah.

But someone drives a car into a crowd in Barcelona, and Trump is condemning the attack even before ISIS claims responsibility. Then he relates the ridiculous, fake story noted above. All of that tells me that for whatever reason, Trump didn't want to condemn the **** in C'ville. And I'm guessing its for the dumbest reason imaginable-because they haven't criticized him.

That is a pretty solid theory.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 709 Senior Member
    He doesn't want to condemn the **** in C-ville because he thinks doing so will alienate his base.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,350 Senior Member
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,913 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

I’m pretty sure he’s going to have to resign. This is the kind of stuff you might expect to hear from a group of dudes sitting around a campfire passing a bottle. Not a US Prez. Unbelievable.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,394 Senior Member
    Good time to reacquaint myself with the Sepoy Rebellion.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,728 Senior Member
    And now Bannon is out.

The Khmer Orange is falling apart piece by piece.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,728 Senior Member
    Re his ridiculous comments the other day I think he thinks he isn't wrong. Fox and Friends has been saying the same things as his bizarre press conference. Talk about the tail wagging the dog!
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,945 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    I really think he's either

1. Truly insane
    2. Wants to be fired

These are not incompatible theories. :)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file