More unintended consequences

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 3,253 Senior Member
This is a good one.

The WSJ reports that Philadelphia's new soda tax (1.5 cents per ounce). The new law (began in January) is raising less revenue than expected, hurting Teamsters Local 830 (truckers trucking soda), killing market and bodega sales, but....

helping beer sales. The tax on beer is less than on soda.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,438 Senior Member
    I think drinking less soda was the intended consequence.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,253 Senior Member
    Actually, it was to fund schools.
    But even were it the intended circumstance, that doesn't mean there weren't a ton load of unintended results.
    Do you honestly believe that less than 2 cents is the real cause here? If so, here's your sign.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Per ounce? Absolutely.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,663 Senior Member
    What the hell is a bodega?
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    It's like covfefe..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,866 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    It's like covfefe..

Mike

Except a condom is recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Shawn C. wrote: »

Seriously?
    Seriously?

Yep. I'm not going to google it but I really have no idea.
    It is Spanish for Maverick.

Buffy,

This is proof I'm not a redneck.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,542 Senior Member
    Yep. I'm not going to google it but I really have no idea.
    Since when did you become a Republican?
    Rimshot, please!!
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,596 Senior Member

Its ok, I didn't know either. I watched law and order for years without knowing what it was.
    Not knowing what a bodega is may be worse than not knowing how to put up a tent.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    This is Tippi on Bodega Bay, California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxfJZy5_x8A
    Ok, googled it. Never heard of that before.
    There is a place just down the hill that my neighbor and I call the ghetto-mart. It is a really sketchy place but they sell 6-ers of Hamms (cans because this goddamned America!). I think it may qualify as a bodega.
    And why in the hell does every little ma and pa liquor store in San Diego have a sign that says "Liquor and Deli"? I have never once had a craving for a handle of Tito's vodka and a ham & swiss.
    Ok, googled it. Never heard of that before.
    There is a place just down the hill that my neighbor and I call the ghetto-mart. It is a really sketchy place but they sell 6-ers of Hamms (cans because this goddamned America!). I think it may qualify as a bodega.

Can you get Mexican hot chocolate? If not, it's not a bodega.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    There should be a bodega truck on every corner..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    And why in the hell does every little ma and pa liquor store in San Diego have a sign that says "Liquor and Deli"? I have never once had a craving for a handle of Tito's vodka and a ham & swiss.

What about Tequila with a burrito?
    Steven wrote: »

In NY it would be a Cuban Café con Leche.
    Unknown on the Mexican hot chocolate. I'll have to see in the winter. There are many small Latin grocery stores around too. They have some great, great stuff! They are much smaller than a supermarket but larger than a 7-11. I wonder if they would be a bodega?
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,466 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »

What in the hell is Mexican hot chocolate? Is is some sort of illegal hot chocolate?
    Unknown on the Mexican hot chocolate. I'll have to see in the winter. There are many small Latin grocery stores around too. They have some great, great stuff! They are much smaller than a supermarket but larger than a 7-11. I wonder if they would be a bodega?

No, not a grocery store. A bodega would be about the size of most 7-11s.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,542 Senior Member
    Philistines. We've got a bunch of uncultured Philistines here...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.