Home The Lodge

Dunkirk

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 4,977 Senior Member
This movie is getting rave reviews, a must-see.

Check out this quote from Churchill, just before the "We shall fight on the beaches" speech. Apparently Churchill and Halifax differed on coming to terms with ****.

The buttering up concluded, Churchill the following day showed his teeth. In another Cabinet meeting he stated flatly that there would be no surrender, and that as long as he was in office, he would not parley with the ****. “If this long island story of ours is to end at last,” he vowed, “let it end only when each one of us lies choking in his own blood on the ground.”

Churchill definitely had a taste for melodrama but this is some ****.

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,977 Senior Member
    Also, and I wouldn't mind discussing this, there's some question as to why **** stopped his Panzers eight miles from Dunkirk.

I welcome any and all theories.
    You people are worthless.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,242 Senior Member
    I'm wearing one of my red shirts today.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    This movie is getting rave reviews, a must-see.

Check out this quote from Churchill, just before the "We shall fight on the beaches" speech. Apparently Churchill and Halifax differed on coming to terms with ****.

The buttering up concluded, Churchill the following day showed his teeth. In another Cabinet meeting he stated flatly that there would be no surrender, and that as long as he was in office, he would not parley with the ****. “If this long island story of ours is to end at last,” he vowed, “let it end only when each one of us lies choking in his own blood on the ground.”

Churchill definitely had a taste for melodrama but this is some ****.

I plan to see it when it shows up here in the little burg of Hamilton. I am a huge fan of Christopher Nolan's work, like Interstellar.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I thought this was why, but looked it up:
    Here's what happened: the British and French counterattack at Arras on May 21, 1940 put a fright into German commanders. Though the counterattack had been pretty much a fizzle (some French troops barely got off the start line before running headlong into German spearheads and the British attack had been mauled), it had caught the German panzers with their pants halfway down.

The German armored divisions had outrun the slower infantry divisions and German commanders were worried about their flanks. Erwin Rommel contributed to the general angst among German commanders by claiming he was attacked by "hundreds" of British tanks at Arras and was in favor of sitting tight until the infantry caught up.

That what you were looking for?
    That's decent. Its easy-almost too easy-for Tanks to outrun both their supply lines and their infantry support.

Another possible theory is that **** didn't want to humiliate the British, who he thought could be brought to the negotiating table.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,237 Senior Member
    Were you offended by the lack of diversity in the film's cast, sherb?
    Were you offended by the lack of diversity in the film's cast, sherb?

Its very problematic to me that the British expeditionary force was so monochromatic. During the next world war I should hope that the British high command does a better job of diversifying its Army.

(Actually, there were some troops from India who participated)
    And in actuality, I read that Nolan deliberately made the soldiers all look alike on purpose.
    And in actuality, I read that Nolan deliberately made the soldiers all look alike on purpose.

Wow. . .that's some awesome writing right there. I hope Magalloway is nowhere around today.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,237 Senior Member
    Its very problematic to me that the British expeditionary force was so monochromatic. During the next world war I should hope that the British high command does a better job of diversifying its Army.

(Actually, there were some troops from India who participated)
    No doubt, but....
    Its problematic. Very problematic.

Its too bad Sonny Bunch doesn't do that "everything's a problem" tumblr anymore because that comment would definitely have made the list.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,407 Senior Member
    [video]
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member
    Churchill was nearly prophetic about choking on blood with the Blitz

I'm kind of a history buff---In my time I knew quite a few Vets from #2---some stories were crazy--and they died remembering them vividly years after

One good one--my old boss---he said when he shipped over there---some guys went over the top---they were gonna kick ****---then when action hit---he said they were the 1st ones crying in a fox hole

One interesting thing----my wife's uncle went there---he sent many letters home (we read them all one afternoon)--he was there 4 years

It was amazing to see the psyche change from start to end---visible in his writings
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
    Wow. . .that's some awesome writing right there. I hope Magalloway is nowhere around today.

Oh, I'm here all right, but feeling very mellow, in actuality.

Jim
    and. . . I'm caught. ****.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    ****, I'm feeling very monochromatic today.

This is my word for today.

Thanks

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    I saw it. Amazing movie. Definitely not the usual war film. Nolan somehow manages to make waiting on a beach incredibly compelling.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 4,094 Senior Member
    I just saw it, in XD, visually sharp, and the sound was amazing. Can't remember actually jumping at a bullet or blast at the movies, but I did for this one. I thank them for going easy on the blood. Some really good dogfight scenes. But they really drew out everything for max tension. I kept saying, lets get this over with. Anyway, worth seeing, but if you ever had a near drowning experience, you might want to skip it.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Well, **** makes you-know-who look really competent. So there's that...
    Also, I really think Rommel was overrated. History has been very generous to him.
    I finished Beevor's "The Second World War" about 6 weeks ago. Recommended but my God is it a little big book. I wish he had included more of his thoughts on developments but there isn't too much of that due to the enormous scope. I enjoyed his "Stalingrad and "The Fall of Berlin" more.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,261 Senior Member
    Also, and I wouldn't mind discussing this, there's some question as to why **** stopped his Panzers eight miles from Dunkirk.

I welcome any and all theories.

**** wanted credit for "his" Blitzkrieg (through Belgium) But it was some general's idea (not Rommel). He was an unpopular general as well. **** stalled the offensive to take credit from this general (can't remember his name). Not sure that the infantry was too far behind. From what I remember had the panzers attacked when they first arrived it may have been all over. I can't remember all this as well as I once did, so the accuracy may have something to be desired. But certainly **** helped Britain....he thankfully was no tactician.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement