Home The Lodge

Terrifying

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 6,410 Senior Member
But not so terrifying that people felt the need to stay in their seats. There's people walking around. . .

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/06/25/watch_airasia_x_flight_shake_like_washing_machine_due_to_engine_problem.html

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,661 Senior Member
    I'm guessing that the next time this happens the airline will add a surcharge fee for the "D-Box Experience".
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Or a surcharge to steam clean the seats.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,585 Senior Member
    The pilot asked the passengers to pray? That's the next to LAST thing I want to hear from a pilot, second to, "Oh my God we're all going to die!"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    That's when I drink all the alcohol on the plane.
    I'd ask a pretty flight attendant if she wanted to feel like a woman one last time. When she says yes, I take off my shirt and say, "Here. Iron this."

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 5,085 Senior Member
    Buffy will be here all week. Try the veal.

I've been on one flight (thankfully only one), where I texted my wife...hoping the message would be sent on the way down.
    what happened?
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,984 Senior Member
    You can get the same experience in the bed of cheap motel and it'll only cost you a quarter.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    So, you plane gurus, what's your best guess for the cause? I would say seized up engine, but why not just shut it down?
    sherb wrote: »
    what happened?

I lived.
    What the hell do you think happened? Nothing.
    Steven wrote: »
    I lived.

Sorry, your post made it sound like the plane was in a nosedive into a large mountain and the pilot managed to restart the engines just in the nick of time.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    I lived.

What kind of chickenshit story is this? We need Hextall back..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    No...nothing that crap your pants scary. It was soon after takeoff from O'Hare. It was a serious engine problem that began soon after take-off, but can't remember anymore what.

We landed back at O'Hare, hard, with all the fire engines trailing after us.
    ricinus wrote: »
    What kind of chickenshit story is this? We need Hextall back..

Mike

It was almost as scary as being sick at Toronto General. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,210 Senior Member
    It was almost as scary as being sick at Toronto General. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?

Is your middle name Eugene?

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,984 Senior Member
    So, you plane gurus, what's your best guess for the cause? I would say seized up engine, but why not just shut it down?

Could be seizure. Compressor or turbine seizes, but relative wind tries to make the fan windmill. The fan is fighting the stuck parts.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    I'm no rotary jet engine mechanic, but....

Better to fly with two engines rather then one? It sounds like a "simple" out of balance situation. If it was still producing power and not in danger of over heating, my guess is the pilot would run it until the oil got so hot it was a fire danger.

Plus, a plane may have to dump fuel in order to land when under powered, they may have been close enough to the runway to make it and not really be high enough for the fuel to disperse in the atmosphere.

I'm sure the pilot had his finger on the "kill fuel" switch the whole time.
    FishTX wrote: »
    Could be seizure. Compressor or turbine seizes, but relative wind tries to make the fan windmill. The fan is fighting the stuck parts.
    Or this. Disregard everything I say.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,228 Senior Member

funny-airline-catpain-cat-red-dot.jpg
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Ha ha^^^

Yeah, maybe one or more of the compressor stages blew some fan blades. Maybe an engine mount broke? Maybe the fetzer valve ran out of 3-in-1 oil?
    I work with a guy who was a jet engine wrench bender for 20 years so I will ask him tomorrow if I remember.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement