Home The Lodge

America is doomed.

NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior MemberPosts: 10,749 Senior Member
And a few people need to be slapped upside the head with a 2 x 4.

http://www.kare11.com/news/nation-world/home-depot-menards-face-lawsuits-over-lumber-size-description/451196613

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Replies

  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,500 Senior Member
    "Eugene" is the name of the lawyer who filed the suits, and apparently he does not understand the difference between a trade name and a term of art. I think our "Eugene" is brighter than that, so this is not him. At least I hope not.

    ...“Anybody who’s in the trades or construction knows that,” (that a 2x4 isn't actually 2"x4") said Tim Stich, a carpentry instructor at Milwaukee Area Technical College.

    True enough, said Yevgeniy (Eugene) Turin of McGuire Law, the firm that represents the plaintiffs in both cases.

    However, Turin and his clients dispute that the differences between nominal descriptions and actual dimensions are common knowledge.

    “It’s difficult to say that for a reasonable consumer, when they walk into a store and they see a label that says four-by-four, that that’s simply — quote unquote — a trade name,” Turin said in an interview..."
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    "Eugene" is the name of the lawyer who filed the suits, and apparently he does not understand the difference between a trade name and a term of art. I think our "Eugene" is brighter than that, so this is not him. At least I hope not.

    ...“Anybody who’s in the trades or construction knows that,” (that a 2x4 isn't actually 2"x4") said Tim Stich, a carpentry instructor at Milwaukee Area Technical College.

    True enough, said Yevgeniy (Eugene) Turin of McGuire Law, the firm that represents the plaintiffs in both cases.

    However, Turin and his clients dispute that the differences between nominal descriptions and actual dimensions are common knowledge.

    “It’s difficult to say that for a reasonable consumer, when they walk into a store and they see a label that says four-by-four, that that’s simply — quote unquote — a trade name,” Turin said in an interview..."

    Just don't get me going on plywood..

    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,943 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    "Eugene" is the name of the lawyer who filed the suits, and apparently he does not understand the difference between a trade name and a term of art. I think our "Eugene" is brighter than that, so this is not him. At least I hope not.

    ...“Anybody who’s in the trades or construction knows that,” (that a 2x4 isn't actually 2"x4") said Tim Stich, a carpentry instructor at Milwaukee Area Technical College.

    True enough, said Yevgeniy (Eugene) Turin of McGuire Law, the firm that represents the plaintiffs in both cases.

    However, Turin and his clients dispute that the differences between nominal descriptions and actual dimensions are common knowledge.

    “It’s difficult to say that for a reasonable consumer, when they walk into a store and they see a label that says four-by-four, that that’s simply — quote unquote — a trade name,” Turin said in an interview..."

    I don't know much about class actions, or this area of law, but IMO this is a loser. Doesn't everyone know that?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,181 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I don't know much about class actions, or this area of law, but IMO this is a loser. Doesn't everyone know that?
    You would think it's a loser, but.....

    http://www.remodeling.hw.net/business/lowes-16m-settlement-lists-2x4-labeling-requirements_o
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,393 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Just don't get me going on plywood..

    Mike
    How do feel about OSB?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

    Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,214 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I don't know much about class actions, or this area of law, but IMO this is a loser. Doesn't everyone know that?

    Really? You had to ask this?

    But I know what a collar stay is.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,943 Senior Member

    well, even though that only applies in California, that ruling would certainly embolden other plaintiff's attorneys to try the same thing.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,943 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Really? You had to ask this?

    But I know what a collar stay is.

    Good, good. Now lets try setting up a tent.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,214 Senior Member
    That's out of date.

    I now pitch the biggest tent in the Lodge.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,943 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    That's out of date.

    Well **** I have nothing on you now.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,214 Senior Member
    I'll always be the Lodge dummy who thought a 2 x 4 was actually 2 x 4.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,393 Senior Member
    Dimension descriptions are required to use the "inch-pound unit," meaning they must include abbreviations such as "in., ft., or yd.," and can't use symbols like ' or '' to denote measurements.

    What is wrong with ' and " ? Don't they teach math in in California? Do they require surveyors to us deg., min., and sec.?
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

    Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    How do feel about OSB?

    OSB!! Hawk, spit..

    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I'll always be the Lodge dummy who thought a 2 x 4 was actually 2 x 4.
    It is. Green cut. Then it's dried and planed. Removing part of the wood to ensure a straight product.

    Gah. I thought everybody knew what collar sta... I meant 2x4s were.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    It is. Green cut. Then it's dried and planed. Removing part of the wood to ensure a straight product.

    This is a normal part of the koshering process for lumber, no?
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    It is. Green cut. Then it's dried and planed. Removing part of the wood to ensure a straight product.

    Gah. I thought everybody knew what collar sta... I meant 2x4s were.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

    You know, I learned about 'dimensioned' lumber in a junior high woodshop class circa 1961. It's hard for me to believe that anyone with one eye, half sense, and a tape measure wouldn't know this on their own if they were working with, or planning to work with, commercially available lumber. My problem is that I live in a house built in 1940 and much of the original wood is full-dimension and can't be replaced without custom sawing.

    Jim
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    magalloway wrote: »
    You know, I learned about 'dimensioned' lumber in a junior high woodshop class circa 1961. It's hard for me to believe that anyone with one eye, half sense, and a tape measure wouldn't know this on their own if they were working with, or planning to work with, commercially available lumber. My problem is that I live in a house built in 1940 and much of the original wood is full-dimension and can't be replaced without custom sawing.

    Jim
    People feel "cheated" like they were sold less lumber than they paid for.

    And now we go from $2.50 studs to $5.00 studs. The lawyers win, everybody else pays. So stupid.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    This is a normal part of the koshering process for lumber, no?
    It is necessary to make gehilts.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,393 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    This is a normal part of the koshering process for lumber, no?

    Yes, but it requires a mohel to plane your wood.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

    Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,749 Senior Member
    If a person doesn't know a 2x4 is 1-1/2 x 3-1/2 they have no right to even touch the product IMO.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,500 Senior Member
    A collar stay is when a judge orders that an arrest be delayed.

    Duh!
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,214 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    It is necessary to make gehilts.

    Pile of lumber

    (trying to save Mike from having to look something up)
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,214 Senior Member
    magalloway wrote: »
    You know, I learned about 'dimensioned' lumber in a junior high woodshop class circa 1961. It's hard for me to believe that anyone with one eye, half sense, and a tape measure wouldn't know this on their own if they were working with, or planning to work with, commercially available lumber. My problem is that I live in a house built in 1940 and much of the original wood is full-dimension and can't be replaced without custom sawing.

    Jim

    In my personal defense, I never took wood shop.

    Auto, electric, metals, drafting and printing. I still get nightmares were my trays of tiny little letters get knocked over.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Pile of lumber

    (trying to save Mike from having to look something up)

    So, increase in my Jew score?
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Pile of lumber

    (trying to save Mike from having to look something up)

    We thank you for your consideration..

    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,214 Senior Member
    Internal: 4
    Outer: 0
    Kvell: 4

    8 of 15, Sadly, not a Jew.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Internal: 4
    Outer: 0
    Kvell: 4

    8 of 15, Sadly, not a Jew.

    Come on, that's 53%!

    I don't want to start talking to Shawn about converting to Mormonism.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Come on, that's 53%!

    I don't want to start talking to Shawn about converting to Mormonism.

    I'll have to ask the quorum of 12 about that. I mean, you aren't a person of color but then again you aren't blonde. Do you have any English blood lines?

    On the other hand, screw all of that. Give them 10% of you income (pre-tax) and you're in!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I'll have to ask the quorum of 12 about that. I mean, you aren't a person of color but then again you aren't blonde. Do you have any English blood lines?

    On the other hand, screw all of that. Give them 10% of you income (pre-tax) and you're in!
    I recently traced my blood line to this guy.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Lee_of_Ditchley
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Wait, that was only (17) great grandpa. (18) great grandpa was this guy:

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lee

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement