Serious question

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 3,856 Senior Member
If the soccer ball in this image was released into space, wouldn’t it implode by the vacuum in space?

c3wkrqduoaaviuk.jpg?itok=beR57vsD

A soccer ball originally packed onto space shuttle Challenger in 1986 is now orbiting the Earth on board the International Space Station, 31 years later.
https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/soccer-ball-recovered-from-space-shuttle-challenger-flies-to-the-space-station

Replies

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,878 Senior Member
    Wouldn't it expand? Since there is no pressure in space, then it would expand and not implode. Right?

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 3,856 Senior Member
    Hm maybe. All I know, or think I know, is it wouldn't just float around inflated.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,795 Senior Member
    This is a serious question? :)
    sherb wrote: »
    This is a serious question? :)

HA ha, yes. I've pondered this since the article first appeared.
    Better than fuming about politics all day, amirite?
    sherb wrote: »
    Better than fuming about politics all day, amirite?

Well I don't really fume about it, but yes.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,699 Senior Member
    That's where Wilson ended up after Hanks got off the island!!

Maybe it works under the same principle as a I'm leavin the capsule spacesuit---under pressure---and good ole yankee stitching:)
  • CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    For the same reason astronaut's heads don't explode. It's in a pressurized spaceship, not floating around the vacuum of space.
    Wait a second---did you think the ball was OUTSIDE the window?
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,878 Senior Member
    Cuddy wrote: »

That's how I interpreted it.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

In fairness, I thought maybe the ball was outside the window too.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    If the soccer ball in this image was released into space, wouldn’t it implode by the vacuum in space?

c3wkrqduoaaviuk.jpg?itok=beR57vsD

A soccer ball originally packed onto space shuttle Challenger in 1986 is now orbiting the Earth on board the International Space Station, 31 years later.
    https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/soccer-ball-recovered-from-space-shuttle-challenger-flies-to-the-space-station

Well, you said "if", so I assume you knew its inside. But, if released outside, and inflated, say to sea level atmospheric pressure, I assume it would probably explode. Multiply 14.8 lbs per sq inch by the inside surface area of the ball, and you get a pretty big force pushing out. If it didn't the rubber would freeze in the near absolute zero temperature and presumably crack.
    Next time I'm posted to space, I will perform the experiment.
    To me it looks like it's inside---thought Mike was doing a hypothetical??

To have a rouge soccerball outside the window is long odds---I know Rinaldo has some leg...But??

Yes, I thought that it was outside the window. In the original article I had read, it didn't specify that it would be returning to earth. I see now that it was just floating inside the space station.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,348 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    To have a rouge soccerball...

More proof soccer is for ****.
    My serious question- what are the odds of a spacecraft bumping into a soccer ball that was released into the vast emptiness of space 31 years ago?
    Really, some of you are smart. Somebody do the math. Would the over/under be 1 in a billion?
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,348 Senior Member
    Take the over
    I thought it was outside the window. I now realize that might be the dumbest thing I have ever thought. I am a dumb.
    "is now orbiting the earth ON BOARD the I.S.S." No wonder youse guys never understand each other!!
    My serious question- what are the odds of a spacecraft bumping into a soccer ball that was released into the vast emptiness of space 31 years ago?
    Really, some of you are smart. Somebody do the math. Would the over/under be 1 in a billion?

The same odds that the ball on the Challenger somehow made it to space, and the rest of the craft didn't... I knew that it was found among the debris of the crash site and flown back up in a recent mission. I just assumed that they were taking it into space to release it.
    Now that the great Astro Physics question is done

Did you get that House? (Mike)----Us dummies need to know
    What's sad is that our good buddy JBilly the Space Engineer would have immediately set us straight on this issue, but has not been coming around.
    Now that the great Astro Physics question is done

Did you get that House? (Mike)----Us dummies need to know

Well not yet. After some estimates that basiclly said "too much work for us to take on" we have decided against investing in the house. We are working on getting approval to build on the property. Its not easy to have a property with an abandoned home on it. It's really turned into a PIA honestly. Nothing great is ever easy...
    Well not yet. After some estimates that basiclly said "too much work for us to take on" we have decided against investing in the house. We are working on getting approval to build on the property. Its not easy to have a property with an abandoned home on it. It's really turned into a PIA honestly. Nothing great is ever easy...

Oh, that is so true. Sorry it didn't work out.

Well good luck---any house styles your considering yet?

I laugh---we basically designed our new place---and I wanted a big bathroom---I hate these little closets some places call a bath---you gotta step outside to change your mind---so we ended up with what some call a small bedroom for a bath---I like it---no banging into anything getting dressed
    The housing market here is on fire. Our property has gained about $60,000 since we bought it two years ago. That was a big reason for the move. To take advantage of the waaay lower property prices just 20 min away, and capitalizing on the insanity of the buyers looking to live in this county. However, this crazy market also means that the good contractors are covered up and not willing to drop the easy money new construction for a remodel. The house in question needs a new roof, plumbing, electric, HVAC, and foundation work (no crawl space so floors have to be removed to access the foundation). This is basically building a new house except when we’re done, we still have an 1880 built home that will appraise for considerably less because of the age. It was just a bad investment unless you can use sweat equity. And that was an option, until the homeowner divulged that, she’d only seen termites swarm from one corner. It’s like living in a barn in the winter. The roof’s been leaking for years behind the walls. And at night you can hear coons and other large rodents crawling up inside the walls. I’m not ready to leave a nice modern home for that. No freaking way. Been there got the t-shirt.
    Well good luck---any house styles your considering yet?

I laugh---we basically designed our new place---and I wanted a big bathroom---I hate these little closets some places call a bath---you gotta step outside to change your mind---so we ended up with what some call a small bedroom for a bath---I like it---no banging into anything getting dressed

We love this one.
    https://www.houseplans.com/plan/2720-square-feet-3-bedroom-2-5-bathroom-0-garage-farmhouse-39090

That's sweet---we also went board and batten
    Like the covered wrap around porch---lots of windows

I learned---light is your friend
    And yes---if the old girl is infested with rodents---it may need a match
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,868 Senior Member
    These are deep waters, Watson!
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.