Lil' Kim Fails Again

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,694 Senior Member
For the third time in a row, North Korea fails to launch a missile successfully.

Coincidence? I hope not. (Stuxnut redux?)
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,325 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    For the third time in a row, North Korea fails to launch a missile successfully.

Coincidence? I hope not. (Stuxnut redux?)

That is a pretty good bet.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,325 Senior Member
    Here is a question, is our use of cyber warfare any less nefarious than the Russians?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 913 Senior Member
    If it keeps N. Korea from launching missiles, yes.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,694 Senior Member
    Less nefarious? - That's a value judgement I'm not ready to make. Less effective? - I hope not.

In today's world it's better to do unto than to be done unto. Sad but true.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    We have been in the spy business for a long time. Is it nefarious to spy if the goal and outcome is prevention of war? How is cyber warfare any different? Maybe both are nefarious, but they are necessary evils.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • DogwoodDogwood Member Posts: 63 Member
    Probably not cyber-warfare as the flight program for most missiles is embedded in the flight computer which you'd be a blithering idiot to connect to an open web interface. Plus, any rocket launcher worth his weight is monitoring memory preflight versus a known baseline looking for pattern corruptions.

However, that doesn't mean that the outcome wasn't otherwise influenced by some means other than production/testing quality on the part of the North Vietnamese. It does seem odd that 3 in a row went kaput, but then they don't have a rich history successful rocket flight. Unfortunately, most of us will never know what happened to those 3 missiles.

The concept of a preemptive attack, whether convention, nuclear, or cycler, is still an abomination. You totally lose hand (a silly term borrowed from Seinfeld) when you attack first because you can surmise intent, but generally can't prove it.

Best regards,
    SP
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,590 Senior Member
    Here is a question, is our use of cyber warfare any less nefarious than the Russians?

Hi Ed!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.