Two thoughts

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 3,837 Senior Member
1. Whatever you may think of the Donald, this will never not be funny.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017/04/28/trump-revives-pocahontas-rant-for-nra-speech?via=desktop&source=copyurl

2. Hulu is releasing a made-for-TV series called the "Handmaid's Tale". And of course, there are about 20 breathless thinkpieces on how "timely" Margaret Atwood's dystopian vision of the future is right now. All of these pieces are ridiculous. The United States is not about to become a theocracy. The premise is absurd on its face.

Replies

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 989 Senior Member
    Truth be told, I don't find it all that funny. In saying that I am not channeling (I sincerely believe) my disdain for the man, nor am I basing my lack of enthusiasm on the non-PC nature of what he calls Sen. Warren. (It is pretty poor taste, but whatever). I just don't find it that funny! YMMV
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 3,837 Senior Member
    The guy's got a flair for nicknames, what can I say.
    He does, and it is one reason he succeeded in winning the Presidency--it can be effective communication. I use nick names all the time, some out loud, some in my "head movies." There is a guy I frequently see on the street in this small town that I call "mini-wonk," as he is short but looks intellectual. Turns out he is a delivery truck driver. One of the lawyers who works for the legislature (which is where I spend a lot of my time) is a tall, fairly striking gal who I call, in my head, "Thunder Legs." For some reason I found Trump's use of the one in the video clip you posted not all that funny. Go figure. Signed--Grumplestiltskin
    I would feel more sympathy for Senator Warren, except of course that she brought it on herself.
    I don't have any sympathy for her. She claimed Native American heritage to get a leg up in some application process, right? That is lame, given that genetically she is only slightly Native American.

More generally, I am tired of people talking about their own ethnicity or the ethnicity of others. People are people.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    2. Hulu is releasing a made-for-TV series called the "Handmaid's Tale". And of course, there are about 20 breathless thinkpieces on how "timely" Margaret Atwood's dystopian vision of the future is right now. All of these pieces are ridiculous. The United States is not about to become a theocracy. The premise is absurd on its face.

Yeah, but "Casting JonBenet" is going to air on Netflix! Theocracy is a non-starter, but a new theory about the tabloid crime of the century? Hot stuff.
    Maybe, BTW, a debate about the JB event can revitalize the Lodge. Who here still believes it was an intruder? If so, you have been taken in by media revisionism. Prove me wrong, suckers.
    creekguy wrote: »
    Maybe, BTW, a debate about the JB event can revitalize the Lodge. Who here still believes it was an intruder? If so, you have been taken in by media revisionism. Prove me wrong, suckers.

I'm your huckleberry.

I don't think it was an intruder though. Can I still participate if all signs point to Patsy Ramsey?
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,879 Senior Member
    1. Whatever you may think of the Donald, this will never not be funny.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017/04/28/trump-revives-pocahontas-rant-for-nra-speech?via=desktop&source=copyurl

I don't find it all that funny. During the campaign I can see using a ploy like that to excite his base, but he's president now and shouldn't have to resort to name calling.

I read the Handmaid's Tale when it was first published, I found it somewhat paranoid.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,816 Senior Member

I thought it was funny originally. She brought it on herself! Now, for a sitting president to throw stuff like that around? I never thought I would see a president that I have zero respect for. Zero. Even though I detested W's policies and his administration I still had respect for the office. This guy? Nope, not even close. he is a freakin' joke.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,957 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    I never thought I would see a president that I have zero respect for. Zero.

Been that way for a lot of folks the last 8 years nothing new.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Without 45, we would never have known about tragedy in Sweden..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,762 Senior Member
    I don't have any sympathy for her. She claimed Native American heritage to get a leg up in some application process, right?

30 years ago. Trump was a stupid **** yesterday.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,366 Senior Member
    It's silly to expect him to change much or that he should change much.
    The lesson learned since at least Bill Clinton is that the Presidency is a never-ending campaign. This was Trump's campaign.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Wrong thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.