By The Way....Thanks Donny

2»

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,882 Senior Member
    FishTX wrote: »
    We sold Hardieplank at the last place I worked. It amuses me because the "grain" is a raised surface. Still there after you paint it. With wood siding, the grain can't be seen after painting.

We use the smooth Hardieplank, with the bead at the bottom. It can pass for wood unless you get right up close. We buy it unpainted, then prime and paint it ourselves before our builder installs it.

"Builder" is too fancy a word. We are super lucky enough to have a carpenter/cabinetmaker/contractor/whatever guy who can do anything from stone work to building an addition. He's a one-man operation who brings in help as needed, at very reasonable rates because he does not buy full page newspaper ads or TV spots. He makes a good living charging about half what the big companies that advertise on TV, radio and in the papers do. His brother is our electrician and our plumber is one of his friends who moonlights.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,271 Senior Member
    Never again will I use Hardieboard or planks. I HATE the stuff. Dusty as crap to cut and it doesn't look as good as wood. Almost plastic-y looking compared to a good cypress sided house or barn.

I built my shop with the 4x8 Hardie board and used strips to close the joints. It also soaks up paint like a sponge. I've been considering getting my local sawmill to cut up some cypress to side it with. It's expensive and I'd have to do a wall at the time, not to mention install purlins inside the wall. Wouldn't be too hard once the Hardie board is off though.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    If I could re-do my house, I would go stone/brick and stucco..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,882 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    If I could re-do my house, I would go stone/brick and stucco..

Mike

It all depends on the style of the house, of course, but stone (real stone) is hard not to like, and stucco almost always looks good. There is a fad around here and in the Baltimore and DC suburbs of building large, expensive houses with vinyl siding and "manufactured" stone accents, usually around the entrance way. I'd rather have a house of modest proportions made of real materials, be they wood, stone, stucco or what have you that reflects the traditions of the area. Spanish haciendas in New England or cedar shake siding cottages in the southwest hold no appeal for me.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    George, the trend here ( because of the way developers lay out their subdivisions) is for large expensive houses on postage stamp sized lots. It's ridiculous. You could shake hands with your neighbors by both parties sticking their arms out their respective windows.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,271 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    George, the trend here ( because of the way developers lay out their subdivisions) is for large expensive houses on postage stamp sized lots. It's ridiculous. You could shake hands with your neighbors by both parties sticking their arms out their respective windows.
    You guys need those large houses for all the kids you're required to have.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 2,713 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    You guys need those large houses for all the kids you're required to have.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oh Snap!!

That's why built the smaller cabin size (1280 sq ft )---kids R gone---just me n ma now
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »

That's exactly what's happening here. Guess people don't want to go outside..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.